Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
An outline from purchase to Creating Recoverydisk and booting it (Read 6293 times)
Harry
Dude

I Love Radified!

An outline from purchase to Creating Recoverydisk and booting it
Oct 16th, 2010 at 1:23pm

Setup:  Windows XP pro sp/3
Ghost 15 Retail download

This, no doubt, sounds really lame, but I'm a bit lost here.

I have ghost15, I don't recall any literature about creating a recovery disk at purchase time.  There may have been but its been a good while now and I don't remember

Anyway, I decided to see what I needed to do to boot a PC when it is non-bootable.  Thinking I could create the bootable CD from the ghost 15 installation.

Well, no that is not a possibility.  The creation tool expects you to have the ISO on hand, but no mention of where to get it etc.

I found the download page for  NBRT and created the ISO and then the Bootable CD.

I'm testing it on a machine that is not having problems but when I set the bios to the specific cdrom and boot from it, all I get is what looks like a windows 7 logo saying `Starting Windows'

I read in the directions to be sure to run the driver comparison tool that is supposed to be on the bootable cd.

Its been 1/2 hour now and all I see is the logo saying `starting windows'.

Can anyone outline briefly how this process is supposed to work... beginning from just the downloaded and installed Ghost 15?  That is, aquiring the NBRT ISO creating tool and creating the CD.

Also, what should I expect to see when booting the CD?

Surely not hours of looking at the logo that says `Starting windows'?

An outline as requested may be a bit much to expect anyone to take time to do, if so any pointers to clear documentation that covers this process would be very helpful.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: An outline from purchase to Creating Recoverydisk and booting it
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 2:11pm

@
Harry

Sounds like a bad CD. Could you let us know if this ISO works properly?

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=200910160...

IP Logged

Harry
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 5:46pm

> Sounds like a bad CD. Could you let us know if this ISO works properly?

[Aside: How does one quote a preceding post?... I see a dozen or so icons in this editor but non say anything about quoting far as I see]

OK, If you had supplied enough information for me to know whether the ISO behaves correctly, I might be able to do what you request.

Further, I remember seeing some instructions somewhere during my turmoil with this, about how to use the bare iso to boot... but of course can not find it now.

Near as I can see, your citation does not bother to explain that aspect.  That is, how one boots from an ISO on disk. Is there another URL where that kind of boot up is explained and with directions, or are you asking something different?

IP Logged

Harry
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 5:49pm

Harry wrote on Oct 16th, 2010 at 5:46pm:
> Sounds like a bad CD. Could you let us know if this ISO works properly?

[Aside: How does one quote a preceding post?... I see a dozen or so icons in this editor but non say anything about quoting far as I see]

Ekkkk, never mind about the quoting question... I now see the obvious button... sorry.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 10:08am

@
Harry

Quote:
Further, I remember seeing some instructions somewhere during my turmoil with this, about how to use the bare iso to boot... but of course can not find it now.

Near as I can see, your citation does not bother to explain that aspect.

Read the details on that link! 

There's a button to *Download* the *iso image*--it's a file that you then burn to a CD.  If you don't know what that means, then just below the *Download* button--the next paragraph, it says:

Quote:
When the download completes, burn the ISO image that you downloaded to create the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD). For more information, read:  Burning an ISO file to a CD

Once the image has been burned to the CD, you then boot from that CD to the Ghost *Recovery Environment*--further down in the above link, it has a section that talks about:

Quote:
Getting your computer to start from the CD

So, the *explanation* is all there--if you are still having problems, can we help you better understand the process?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print