Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem" (Read 26266 times)
AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem"
Oct 22nd, 2010 at 3:28am

Ghost 2003: Cloning the Entire C: Drive to Another Drive’s G: Partition Gives Error Message, “Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close”

Bought the PC below with the 80 GB C: drive on it. The C: drive has XP Pro, Service Pack 3 already installed and seems to work fine.

Installed, partitioned and formatted the new 1.5 TB drive as below and want to clone the C: drive onto the new drive’s G: partition. 

The cloning process seems to work OK and the image is installed on the G: partition successfully.

After a Shut Down, use the menu from the Windows boot.ini file on the C: drive to select the G: partition to boot from.  The boot up into XP Pro on the G: partition seems to work. 

But then, always get the same error message:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close

Do not get that error message when booting from the original C: drive.

How to clone the C: drive to the G: partition without getting the ‘Generic Host Processor...” error message when you boot up from G:?

Thanks very much for your help.

Dell Precision 470 Workstation
3.2 GHertz, 2 GB RAM
XP Pro, Service Pack 3

Seagate SATA 80 GB
  C: drive         80 GB  XP Pro OS and data

Seagate SATA 1.5 TB
  G:  NTFS            40 GB  XP Pro OS
  H:  FAT32           30 GB  Ghost images
  I:   FAT32      30 GB  Ghost images
  H:  NTFS   1,297 GB  data

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem"
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 5:34am

Hello AnotherUser,
welcome to RADIFIED!

Quote:
The cloning process seems to work OK and the image is installed on the G: partition successfully.

That's a bit unclear. Are you cloning C: directly to G: or are you creating an Image (disk-to-image or partition-to-image) of C: and then restore the Image to G:?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 8:53am

@
AnotherUser

Quote:
After a Shut Down, use the menu from the Windows boot.ini file on the C: drive to select the G: partition to boot from.  The boot up into XP Pro on the G: partition seems to work.

As you have noted, this setup *seems* to work--but, your original WinXP's registry that you cloned to G still has all it's references to the *C* drive--if you remove that drive--or it's contents--I think you will not be able to boot from your cloned copy of WinXP--the registry of your *G* copy will still be pointing to original *C* instance of WinXP!

Here's a possible answer from a Google search--but I have no personal experience to offer:  How to Fix "Generic Host Process For Win32 Services Encountered A Problem and needs to close."

Make sure your data is backed up and/or you have a system *restore* point to revert back to if the *fix* doesn't work!

Let us know if it helps!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 2:08pm

@
AnotherUser

I did a simulation of your method. The new WinXP loaded but I also received, “Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close”.

I agree with NightOwl. You have broken the first rule of cloning and have a "schizophrenic" system.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

IP Logged

AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 3:21am

Christer wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 5:34am:
Quote:

That's a bit unclear. Are you cloning C: directly to G: or are you creating an Image (disk-to-image or partition-to-image) of C: and then restore the Image to G:?

Sorry for the lack of clarity. 

Have tried the following with the same result each way:

1.  clone the C: partition directly to the G: partition

2.  create a Ghost image file of the C: partition and save it to a FAT 32 partition on the new drive (either H: or I:), then use Ghost to clone the image file onto the G: partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 3:40am

As you will have two identical WinXP, the only way to avoid a schizophrenic system is to use a third party boot manager (not the Microsoft boot.ini method) and hide each OS from the other. That way each OS will be C: drive when it is booted.

Before you use Ghost, while you are still in WinXP, delete the G: partition. The old XP must know there is no partition with a drive letter in the space for the future new XP. In Ghost, do a partition to partition clone to the unallocated space. Don't boot either WinXP until the boot manager is set up.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 8:56am

@
AnotherUser

Quote:
use the menu from the Windows boot.ini file on the C: drive to select the G: partition to boot from

I'm curious--did you manually edit the *boot.ini* file to add a menu choice that pointed to the second HDD, 1st partition?

What is your actual goal here?  Are you wanting to transfer your WinXP to the new larger HDD, and remove the old HDD--or keep the old HDD as a second HDD on the system--but, not the *main* HDD?  Or, are you wanting to have two instances of WinXP on the same system and keeping the old HDD and copy of WinXP in place?

I don't know the answer--but, given this current setup--when booting from the *G* WinXP--which is depending on the *C* WinXP files--when you make registry changes (i.e. settings changes) using the *G* WinXP--I assume those changes are written to the *G* WinXP registry--but are there changes being made to the files on the *C* WinXP because the *G* WinXP registry entries point to the *C* WinXP files?

My point being--when you later boot to the *C* WinXP--will some of its files now reflect changes that you made earlier when booted to the *G* WinXP?

And, after making changes in the *C* WinXP settings--will those show up when booted to the *G* WinXP once again?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 9:13am

@
AnotherUser

Quote:
Seagate SATA 1.5 TB

G:  NTFS            40 GB  XP Pro OS
  H:  FAT32           30 GB  Ghost images
  I:   FAT32           30 GB  Ghost images
  H:  NTFS        1,297 GB  data

You do realize, that having your Ghost images saved on the same HDD that your OS is on, reduces your *safety net* considerably!  If the HDD dies, you also loose all those images with it!  You will only have half the benefit of making image backups--i.e. able to restore images if you have a corrupted system.  But, if the old HDD dies--you will not be able to restore those images from the old HDD to a new HDD and be up and running.

IP Logged

AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 8:21pm

NightOwl wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 8:53am:
Here's a possible answer from a Google search--but I have no personal experience to offer:How to Fix "Generic Host Process For Win32 Services Encountered A Problem and needs to close."

Make sure your data is backed up and/or you have a system *restore* point to revert back to if the *fix* doesn't work!

Let us know if it helps! 

Thanks for your reply.

Based on Brian’s being able to duplicate the “Generic Host Process For Win32 Services” error message on his system, decided to postpone the possible repair above and pursue fixing the "schizophrenic" system error.  Plan to keep the repair in mind for possible use as needed later...

IP Logged

AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 8:25pm

NightOwl wrote on Oct 23rd, 2010 at 8:56am:
I'm curious--did you manually edit the *boot.ini* file to add a menu choice that pointed to the second HDD, 1st partition?

Yes, the boot.ini file on the C: drive was manually edited here.  It currently is

[boot loader]
timeout=60
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro, new" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro, original" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

IP Logged

AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 8:35pm

NightOwl wrote on Oct 23rd, 2010 at 8:56am:
What is your actual goal here? 

Good question. 

1- The overall goal is to use the C: partition’s OS and its already installed device drivers on the new G: partition.  This would save doing a new install of XP Pro on G:

The new drive will be the main drive to boot from and for storing data.

2- Keep the original 80 GB drive as a backup OS if needed.

Would of course like to have the OS on the new G: partiton completely independent of the contents of the original C: drive once all is set up.

In a sense, these seem to be simple goals,  But the implementation appears to be tricky...

IP Logged

AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 10:00pm

Brian wrote on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 2:08pm:
I did a simulation of your method. The new WinXP loaded but I also received, “Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close”.

I agree with NightOwl. You have broken the first rule of cloning and have a "schizophrenic" system.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

Thanks for doing the simulation.  It’s a relief to hear that it’s a problem with how the cloning is being done, rather than some more dire problem with the PC itself.

Brian wrote on Oct 23rd, 2010 at 3:40am:
the only way to avoid a schizophrenic system is to use a third party boot manager (not the Microsoft boot.ini method) and hide each OS from the other. That way each OS will be C: drive when it is booted.

Is there a third party boot manager you particularly like or would care to recommend?  Have not actually used one so far.

Sounds as if the boot.ini method won’t work because the two OS partitions are not hidden from one another, as they would be with a third party boot manager?

IP Logged

AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 10:08pm

NightOwl wrote on Oct 23rd, 2010 at 9:13am:
You do realize, that having your Ghost images saved on the same HDD that your OS is on, reduces your *safety net* considerably!

Quite right.

Once the new drive is fully running, all apps installed (or maybe sooner), plan to repartition the old drive.  It would have an NTFS partition for the OS and any data and two 30 GB FAT 32 partitions to receive Ghost image files for backup from the new, large drive, hopefully resulting in a better “safety net”, as you say.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 11:40pm

@
AnotherUser

I use and recommend BootIt NG. There is a 30 day trial period and if you decide to purchase I suggest spending a few more $ and getting the Bundle. It is well worth the $.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

Instructions on how to install BootIt NG, clone WinXP and multi-boot are here...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

A free boot manager is XOSL and here is a recent thread...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1282694439/0

I prefer BootIt NG.

Let us know if you have any questions.

IP Logged

AnotherUser
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 1:07am

Brian wrote on Oct 23rd, 2010 at 11:40pm:
I use and recommend BootIt NG. There is a 30 day trial period and if you decide to purchase I suggest spending a few more $ and getting the Bundle. It is well worth the $.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Just now found a copy of Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 hidden away here, which includes a copy of BootMagic.

Is BootMagic worth considering or not really?  Would value your view very much.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print