Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Problem after hard drive won't boot (Read 85377 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Problem after hard drive won't boot
Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 1:54pm

Thanks. So the boot.ini was in D:\Local Drive and not C:\

To get the boot.ini from an image...(these instructions are for Ghost 15 so if they don't work for Ghost 12 let me know)
Boot from the CD
Recover
Recover My Files
View recovery points by Filename
Browse to a recovery point in your Backup partition. Ignore drive letters
Open, OK
boot.ini will be in the WinXP root
select boot.ini and click Recover Files
Browse to a destination folder (eg USB)
Recover, OK
Exit from the Ghost CD

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:40pm

OK. For Ghost 12...

Boot from the CD
Recover
Recover My Files
Browse to a recovery point in your Backup partition. Ignore drive letters
Open
boot.ini will be in the WinXP root
select boot.ini and click Recover Files
Browse to a destination folder (eg USB)
Recover, OK
Exit from the Ghost CD

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 5:49pm

I understand I'm supposed to boot from the CD. But how do I do that? I know there is a boot sequence. But I don't know if I'm supposed to change that at bootup time. Sorry, I know somethings but I'm not an expert like you guys.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 6:01pm

No problem. Some computers let you access a boot menu by tapping F10 as soon as you power on the computer. If that doesn't work you will have to enter the BIOS and make the boot sequence, CD first, HD second.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:09pm

Hey again,
I did the process and have the boot.ini. I'm putting it back into a txt file. The boot.ini.txt file attached is the one from the recovery. It's different from the first one I sent even though the name is the same.

Thank you:
Jordan Sacks

boot_ini_001.txt (0 KB | 622 )

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:26pm

Jordan,

They both look the same to me. I don't know why your computer failed to boot originally but when you installed WinXP recently I think this happened...

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#note08
"Why did XP install on F: instead of C:?"

Your HDs look reversed in Disk management but maybe that is normal for your computer. One of my computers shows the first HD as HD0 in WinXP and HD1 in Win7.

Let's restore an image and see if your old WinXP boots.

Boot from the Ghost CD
Recover My Computer
Next
View by Filename, Browse
Find your latest Recovery Point in the Backup partition (ignore drive letters)
Open
Next
Select your 43 GB partition (Let us know later if it is on Disk 1 or 2. The very left column)
Next
Put ticks in...
  Verify recovery point before restore
  Check for file system errors after recovery
  Set drive active (for booting OS)
  don't tick the others
Next
Put a tick in Reboot when finished
Finish, Yes

Good luck!

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:13pm

Hey again,

I finished the process and nothing changed. I believe I did it properly. The only difference I notice is that D: is called "data" and E: is called "data" as well.

As you asked i noticed the 40gb partition is disk 2.

Thank you, and please see if there is something i missed.

Jordan Sacks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:19pm

Is WinXP your old one or the virgin one?

Could you post another screenshot of Disk Management?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 4:37am

Sorry about the wait. I went to sleep right after posting.

Also I can't remember how I got the disk management screenshot into a doc file so I made it a zip file. Attached is diskmanagement2.zip

WinXP looks the same.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #24 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 9:18am

@
Brian

Quote:
NightOwl must be away

I've been out of town this last weekend--and, I'm going to be very busy this week + out of town later in the week as well--so, my input may be limited.

But, with my current computer setup, I haven't installed MS Word and I can't open leftyx's *doc* file in his reply #8--can you post whatever screen shot is hidden there for me to see?

Thanks!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:37pm

Hello Nightowl, I post up the doc file since the jpg was to big to post. I'm at work now and I don't know how to get the doc file back to a jpg.Maybe another screenshot of the doc file will be ok. Then I can zip it and attach it. That should be able to be opened as a jpg. As you can see I'm thinkning while I type. Let's see what happens.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #26 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:31pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
I finished the process and nothing changed. I believe I did it properly. The only difference I notice is that D: is called "data" and E: is called "data" as well.

STOP! STOP! STOP!.........

Yes, that was yelling!

If I read your response correctly, it looks like Ghost 12 is attempting to maintain drive letter assignments between the WinXP environment--and the Ghost Recovery environment (but only *sort of* and as far as I can see--incorrectly!)--and it's not coming out correctly!  And the partition *name* is not following the restored data for some reason!

Do you have a Ghost backup for each of the partitions from your original HDD--i.e. C:  your OS, D:  Games, and E:  Data?  If you restore those, you are not loosing any data--is that correct?

If so, I'd recommend deleting the partitions on the OS HDD so it's all unallocated space, and then restoring those partition backups.

You can use the WinXP installation disc to delete those old partitions on that HDD--I would disconnect your other *backup* HDD before booting the installation CD to make sure you can not accidentally choose the wrong HDD.  Pretend you want to do a *new* install of WinXP.  You will get to a stage where you can delete old existing partition(s)--do that and then stop the installation process at that stage.

Now, re-attach the *backup* HDD and re-boot using the Ghost CD.  Being careful not to choose the wrong HDD, restore your backups from the *backup* HDD to the OS HDD.  Once done--remove the Ghost CD and try re-booting to your WinXP. 

Questions?

Success?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #27 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:53pm

@
leftyx

There's also something *wrong* with the *boot.ini* file pointing to *disk(0), but the OS HDD is being ID'd as HDD #2  (i.e. the second HDD and not the first HDD).  Depending on the program, some begin the numbering from 0 (zero), and other start at #1--you have to figure out which is which for each given program!

Quote:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

and

Quote:

I suspect this may have something to do with the BIOS support for selecting which HDD is the boot device--but, I'm not sure about this.  Do you recall if you used the BIOS to indicate your boot device (not boot order!)

We could also look at the physical hookup for your IDE HDDs to see which IDE channel is being used, and which connector is used for each HDD on the IDE connector ribbon.  And, if you are using *Cable* select, or specifying *Master* and *Slave* HDD manually!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #28 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 4:24pm

NightOwl,

I'm glad you are back. It's your turn now.

I'd just like to mention a few things that have concerned me. Jordan reinstalled WinXP and it appeared to be a virgin install. However the first Disk Management showed 21.95 GB of used space in the 40 GB partition. That's far too much used space for a fresh WinXP install. Also, Jordan said the 40 GB partition used to be C: drive. So when the image was restored WinXP should have been C: drive again. But it is not.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 6:47pm

Quote:
Do you have a Ghost back up for each of the partitions from your original HDD--i.e. C:  your OS, D:  Games, and E:  Data?  If you restore those, you are not loosing any data--is that correct?

Yes I believe that is correct.
Quote:
You can use the WinXP installation disc to delete those old partitions on that HDD--I would disconnect your other *backup* HDD before booting the installation CD to make sure you can not accidentally choose the wrong HDD.

I don't understand how to tell which is the backup HDD. Ithink I undrstand why I would want to disconnect the *backup* HDD so I don't accidently choose the wrong one. ALSO, I incorrectly said the HDDs were IDE. I opened the case and looked at the cable and it's a SATA drive cable for both HDDs.
Quote:
Pretend you want to do a *new* install of WinXP.  You will get to a stage where you can delete old existing partition(s)--do that and then stop the installation process at that stage.

Now, re-attach the *backup* HDD and re-boot using the Ghost CD.  Being careful not to choose the wrong HDD, restore your backups from the *backup* HDD to the OS HDD.  Once done--remove the Ghost CD and try re-booting to your WinXP. 

Logically I undetstand this so let's say I will try to follow the instructions.

Quote:
Reply #27 - Today at 16:53:11     @leftyx

There's also something *wrong* with the *boot.ini* file pointing to *disk(0), but the OS HDD is being ID'd as HDD #2  (i.e. the second HDD and not the first HDD).  Depending on the program, some begin the numbering from 0 (zero), and other start at #1--you have to figure out which is which for each given program!

Quote:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
and

Quote:

I suspect this may have something to do with the BIOS support for selecting which HDD is the boot device--but, I'm not sure about this.  Do you recall if you used the BIOS to indicate your boot device (not boot order!)

We could also look at the physical hookup for your IDE HDDs to see which IDE channel is being used, and which connector is used for each HDD on the IDE connector ribbon.  And, if you are using *Cable* select, or specifying *Master* and *Slave* HDD manually!

I'm not clear about this but let me ask if the drives being SATA changes any of this?
Quote:
I'd just like to mention a few things that have concerned me. Jordan reinstalled WinXP and it appeared to be a virgin install. However the first Disk Management showed 21.95 GB of used space in the 40 GB partition. That's far too much used space for a fresh WinXP install. Also, Jordan said the 40 GB partition used to be C: drive. So when the image was restored WinXP should have been C: drive again. But it is not.

I don't undrestand why WinXP would need 21.95 GB either.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print