Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Problem after hard drive won't boot (Read 85279 times)
leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Problem after hard drive won't boot
Reply #45 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 3:26pm

I am out of town until late Monday or Tuesday. It's really great that you wrote out everything so detailed. I'll be ready to get back into that when I return. Thank you. Jordan

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #46 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 3:43pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 3rd, 2010 at 9:46am:
isn't there an option to restore the MBR when doing a Ghost restore in Ghost 12

NightOwl,

That is correct. You have options to ...

Restore Master Boot Record (MBR)
Restore original disk signature

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #47 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 8:24pm

Quote:
Using Ghost, restore the old WinXP backup file to your appro]x. 40 GB partition as outlined previously by Brian in reply #20--making sure you select the correct *source* file and correct *destination* partition. Make sure you make the partition *active* as mentioned in Brian's outline.

Brian's instructions show "Find your latest REcovery Point in the Backup partition" does it matter that the original C: drive partition was backed up only on the first of the month while the other D: and E: were backed up every week?

Sorry if this is a lame question but I'm not feeling confident in going forward.  I  am missing some part of the puzzle and it's not clicking yet.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #48 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 8:41pm

Jordan,

leftyx wrote on Nov 9th, 2010 at 8:24pm:
does it matter that the original C: drive partition was backed up only on the first of the month while the other D: and E: were backed up every week?

Not in the slightest. Just restore your most recent C: drive image. Any other questions?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #49 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:01pm

After the Ghost restore, before attempting to boot to WinXP, re-boot the system and enter the BIOS.  Go the to the HDD Boot Priority menu item and determine if it is the OS HDD that is listed first--and not the *backup* HDD!  Follow the instructions on how to change the priority if needed (you do know which drive is which now, don't you?!).
To do this I should not put a tick in the "Reboot when finsihed" checkbox. Is  this correct?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #50 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:07pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
To do this I should not put a tick in the "Reboot when finsihed" checkbox. Is  this correct?

Doesn't matter--you will be *re-booting* either way!  Just hit the necessary key(s) to enter the BIOS setup utility and make sure it's the OS HDD that's listed as the first boot HDD.

(Remember to remove the Ghost CD so you don't re-boot to the Ghost Recovery Environment!)

Other questions?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #51 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:07pm

Yes, it would be better not to tick that option in case it reboots when you aren't watching.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #52 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:08pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
in case it reboots when you aren't watching

Brian's point is well taken--his way is best!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #53 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:12pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you disconnect the *bottom SATA cable* again, and boot to WinXP--in Disk Management you are likely to find that the HDD is labeled *Backup*.

Was I right?

And, was it the *Backup* HDD that was listed as the first boot HDD in the BIOS--(you did check, didn't you?)?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #54 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 9:51pm

It boots to  WinXP and all my files are back. But WinXP is now in the Local Disk F: and my backups are in backup C:. I'm not sure how this happened. Can I use Disk Management to change the drive names and Letters around?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #55 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 10:29pm

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you disconnect the *bottom SATA cable* again, and boot to WinXP--in Disk Management you are likely to find that the HDD is labeled *Backup*.
Was I right?

And, was it the *Backup* HDD that was listed as the first boot HDD in the BIOS--(you did check, didn't you?)?

I'll try to attach the disk management screenshot I took now.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #56 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 10:44pm

OK. Can you disconnect that HD, connect the other HD and see if it boots.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #57 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 7:33am

Yes it booted with my old system on it. What does that mean? What do I do next? Did I get my disks mixed up?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #58 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 9:55am

@
leftyx

Good morning!

Quote:
Yes it booted with my old system on it. What does that mean?

Congratulations!  You have recovered your old WinXP OS--and you're booting from the correct HDD!

Quote:
What do I do next? Did I get my disks mixed up?

It doesn't sound like you mixed anything up!

I assume you disconnected your *backup* HDD per Brian's recommendation above--correct?

Then shut down the system.  Reconnect the *backup* HDD.  Boot the system--but, enter the BIOS and just double check that your *old WinXP* HDD is still the first one listed in the boot priority list--both the HDDs should be listed.

If all looks as it should--exit the BIOS and let the system reboot--you should boot from your *old WinXP*.

Look at Disk Management--all the drive letters should be back to what they were before the problem began.

If all is good, then we can begin to delete the files that were added from the *New WinXP* installation--unless you want to keep that OS around for some reason.

Let us know.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #59 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 10:10am

Quote:
Then shut down the system.  Reconnect the *backup* HDD.  Boot the system--but, enter the BIOS and just double check that your *old WinXP* HDD is still the first one listed in the boot priority list--both the HDDs should be listed.

It booted with SATA 2 so I thought SATA 1 was the old WinXP. I guess it was mixed up. So I will make SATA 2 the first one listed in the boot priority list. What do you think of that?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print