Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Problem after hard drive won't boot (Read 85267 times)
leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Problem after hard drive won't boot
Oct 29th, 2010 at 4:44am

Hii there, been a long time. Have been doing regular backups weekly for data drives and monthly for C:\windows drive.
The hard disk refused to boot. Displayed "put in Setup Disk." I did that and chose Setup Windows. I belileve it did a setup on Windows XP. Now my system looks like a virgin XP system. But what happened to the backups? I have a disk of C:\ drive when it was a new system. I don't know where to start fixing my computer so everythig is back where it was before the hard drive wouldn't boot up. Any perspective on what to do?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Problem after hard drive won't boot
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:17am

@
leftyx

Quote:
Displayed "put in Setup Disk." I did that and chose Setup Windows. I belileve it did a setup on Windows XP. Now my system looks like a virgin XP system

Based on what you have said so far, it appears you do not fully understand what the error messages are saying, and what your response should be.....if you did not know you were installing a *virgin* copy of WinXP, I would recommend you slow down and not proceed randomly until you understand better what you are doing, and know the probable results of taking the action(s) you are doing!  We can help with that!

That said, what version of Ghost are you using--our attempt to help will depend on knowing that starting point?

Quote:
But what happened to the backups?

Good question!  You need to tell us how your HDD was setup!   How many partitions did you have on your WinXP system HDD, and what drive letters were in use?

And, do you have more than one HDD on your system?  If so, how many additional HDDs, and how are each of them partitioned, and what drive letters were assigned?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 12:22pm

I understand what you're asking. Let me post questions and answers.
Quote:
That said, what version of Ghost are you using--our attempt to help will depend on knowing that starting point?

Ghost 12
Quote:
How many partitions did you have on your WinXP system HDD, and what drive letters were in use?

2 hard drives of 500gb each. Drive 1 was partitioned in c:, d:, and e:. C:\ was the windows partition and was 40gb. D:\ was a data partition and was 200gb. E:\ was another data partition and was 250gb. (as far as I remember.)
Quote:
And, do you have more than one HDD on your system?  If so, how many additional HDDs, and how are each of them partitioned, and what drive letters were assigned?
The second hard drive was for backups. It was F:\ and was 500gb. The ghost backups were on the F:\ drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 2:04pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
2 hard drives of 500gb each. Drive 1 was partitioned in c:, d:, and e:. C:\ was the windows partition and was 40gb. D:\ was a data partition and was 200gb. E:\ was another data partition and was 250gb. (as far as I remember.)

The second hard drive was for backups. It was F:\ and was 500gb. The ghost backups were on the F:\ drive

Okay, and with your new WinXP--what is the status of the two HDDs?  How many partitions and what drive letters?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Hey thanks, the hdds are c:\ is called backup. d:\ is Local Disk. E:\ is games and F:\ is data. Those are the current names. Originally they were C:\ was Local Disk. D:\ was games. E:\ was data. F:\ was backup.

Also C:\ is now 500gb. D:\ is 43gb. E:\ is 280gb. F:\ is 180gb.

Tell me what else you need to know.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:28pm

@
leftyx

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:12pm

Quote:
Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management?

Sorry I can't. That machine isn't connected to the Internet anymore. In fact I haven't done anything to it since I screwed it up. I'm hoping to be able to restore from a backup when I get help.

Did I make it too confusing. It's really simple. The disks got shuffled around. C:\ was the windows partition and 40gb. D:\ was the games partition and was 280gb. E:\ was the data partition and was 180gb. F:\ was the second hard drive. It was for ghost backups. It was 500gb.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:38pm

Can you create a screenshot, put it on a USB flash drive and transfer it to an internet computer. Or take a digital photo of Disk management.

Otherwise post everything that is in the graphic rectangular window (Disk Management) for each HD. Everything!

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:46pm

Here is a screen capture of disk management.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 6:56pm

@
leftyx

NightOwl must be away. OK, here goes.

Disk Management is intriguing as your HDs are reversed. Did you open your computer and play with the HDs or the cables prior to noticing the non-boot?

Are your HDs, IDE or SATA?

Can you post the contents of boot.ini? I have more tasks for you depending on boot.ini.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 9:07pm

Quote:
Are your HDs, IDE or SATA?

HDDS are IDE.

Quote:
Can you post the contents of boot.ini? I have more tasks for you depending on boot.ini

I did a seach on My Computer for boot.ini and it didnt find it. Even with hidden files shown. Where is it located so I can copy it and post it?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 10:15pm

In Folder Options, you have to Show hidden files and folders and remove the tick from Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
Boot.ini is in the root of the OS partition.

Did you open the computer and change the cables recently?

Edit... boot.ini may instead be in the root of your C: drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 1:35am

Could you also post the contents of boot.ini taken from your last backup image. Get this from the Ghost recovery environment. This will allow us to determine which was HD0 on the old working system.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 1:03pm

Quote:
In Folder Options, you have to Show hidden files and folders and remove the tick from Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
Boot.ini is in the root of the OS partition.

Attached is the boot.ini as it stands now.

Quote:
Did you open the computer and change the cables recently?

I haven't changed the cables or opened the computer in months. This is all a result of me stupidly following the prompts when installing Windows.

Note: I can't save the boot.ini as an ini file because the forum won't allow ini files to be attached. So it's in a txt file. But it is the same boot ini that was in the D:\Local Drive on the computer.

boot_ini.txt (0 KB | 669 )

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 1:33pm

Quote:
Could you also post the contents of boot.ini taken from your last backup image. Get this from the Ghost recovery environment. This will allow us to determine which was HD0 on the old working system. 

I don't know how to access the Ghost recovery environment. I'm sorry but could you explain or is that something else I have to send so  you can see what is going on?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print