Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Problem after hard drive won't boot (Read 85370 times)
leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Problem after hard drive won't boot
Reply #60 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:10am

Nightowl? Are you there?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #61 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:51am

Yes, that was right. The HDDs were listed properly in the boot priority list. It booted properly.

What does this have to do with deleting WinXP files?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #62 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:26pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
It booted with SATA 2 so I thought SATA 1 was the old WinXP.

Let's look at the responses you have given in your previous replies:

Reply #39

Quote:
Here is what I get when I boot up...
IDE   Channel   0   Master   : None
IDE   Channel   0   Slave     : None
SATA 1 (A0)   : ST3500630AS    3.AAK
SATA 2 (A1)   : ST3500320AS    SD15
SATA 3 (B0)   : None
SATA 4 (B1)   :TSSTcorp CDDVDW

After I remove the bottom SATA cable it looks like
SATA (A0)   : ST3500630AS   3.AAK
SATA (A1)   : None
SATA (B0)   : None
SATA (B1)   : TSSTcorp

When you removed the *bottom SATA cable* (I presume you mean the bottom of the two HDDs that are stacked one above the other)--your ST3500320AS HDD was no longer listed.  It was listed as *SATA 2* in the top listing and attached to the *(A1)* SATA port on your motherboard--and in Reply #37, you said:

Quote:
The mainboard manual lists the SATA drives on the board as SATA A1 is front and SATA A0 is back. My hard drives are stacked one on top of the other. The top drive goes to the back SATA and the bottom drive goes to the front SATA.

So, these two SATA ports are stacked one on top of the other, front to rear, when looking at the motherboard.  And the BIOS lists the order of SATA ports in the order that those ports are wired into the connectors--they list the ports starting with the *zero*--so *A0* (which is labeled SATA 1)--so the numbering can change depending on what the software is programed to use, some programs start with drive *#0* as the first drive or port #, but others start at drive *#1*--it can become confusing--but, keep track of the information and it will become obvious which is which.

So, your *ST3500320AS    SD15* is your *bottom* HDD of the two.  It's hooked up to the second SATA connector (A1)--the front connector--and is listed on the *SATA 2* channel.  This is your *old WinXP* HDD with the three partitions on it!

When you disconnected the *bottom* HDD, and booted, you show the screen shot in your Reply #55 above.  It shows that the drive label is *backup*.

So, your *ST3500630AS    3.AAK* is your *top* HDD of the two.  It's hooked up to the first SATA connector (A0), and is listed on the *SATA 1* channel.  This is your *backup* HDD with just the one partition on it.

This order is not the *usual* order for HDD hookups.  Usually the OS HDD is hooked up to the what would be the first SATA port--so on your system the *A0* connector outlet.  And the secondary HDD is on the next SATA port--so on your system the *A1* connector outlet.  If you wanted to make it this way, you could simply change which HDD is connected to which port. 

To do the above in the easiest fashion:
--shut down the system,
--disconnect the SATA connector form the *bottom* *old WinXP* HDD
--then disconnect the SATA connector from the *top* *backup* HDD, and connect it to the *bottom* *old WinXP* HDD
--now re-boot

It should boot to the *old WinXP*, and it should now show the *ST3500320AS    SD15* as being connected to the *A0* connector and listed as *SATA 1*.

--shut down again
--hook up the other SATA cable from the *A1* connector to the *ST3500630AS    3.AAK* (your *backup* HDD)
--re-boot

It should boot to the *old WinXP*, and your HDDs should now be listed in the opposite order from what they were before, and your *old WinXP* should be the first HDD listed in the boot priority!

Quote:
So I will make SATA 2 the first one listed in the boot priority list. What do you think of that?

That's the easiest thing to do!

Just out of curiosity--did you add a new HDD to the system?  Or, is that the way it came form the source?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #63 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:34pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
Nightowl? Are you there?

Sorry, I was composing the lengthy reply above!

Quote:
Yes, that was right. The HDDs were listed properly in the boot priority list. It booted properly.

So, your *old WinXP* HDD (ST3500320AS    SD15), is listed first--and that's what is booting--correct?

Quote:
What does this have to do with deleting WinXP files?

You need to keep track of what we are talking about!  You have 2 installation of WinXP on your system now--your *old WinXP*, which is on your 3 partitioned HDD, and your *new WinXP* which is on the *backup* HDD.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #64 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:37pm

Quote:
Just out of curiosity--did you add a new HDD to the system?  Or, is that the way it came form the source?

That's teh way I got it.

Quote:
So, your *old WinXP* HDD (ST3500320AS    SD15), is listed first--and that's what is booting--correct?

Exactly

Quote:
You need to keep track of what we are talking about!  You have 2 installation of WinXP on your system now--your *old WinXP*, which is on your 3 partitioned HDD, and your *new WinXP* which is on the *backup* HDD.

So between you and Brian we will delete the ***new WinXP*** files? I guess I want one version of WinXP not two.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #65 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:42pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
That's the way I got it.

Interesting--who built the system, i.e. source?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #66 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:48pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:42pm:
@
leftyx

Quote:
That's the way I got it.

Interesting--who built the system, i.e. source?

I bought the parts at Microcenter. They're a computer store chain in the East. I had them assemble it at a small cost and install WinXP on the system for me.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #67 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:51pm

I have to go out for a few hours. Be glad to talk with you more later.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #68 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 1:05pm

@
leftyx

Quote:
So between you and Brian we will delete the ***new WinXP*** files? I guess I want one version of WinXP not two.

Are you able to bring up the the list of directories and files on your *backup* HDD using a file manager program (like Windows Explorer)?

You should find a *Windows* subdirectory at the very least.

Here's at least a partial list of directories and files that a new installation should have added to your *backup* HDD:

Directories:

Documents and Settings
Program Files
RECYCLER
System Volume Information
WINDOWS

Files:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
boot.ini
CONFIG.SYS
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr
pagefile.sys

There could be others--depends on your particular system and if you had to add anything *special* during boot, etc..  You could look for any other files or directories that were created with the approx. same time/date as the Windows directory on that *backup* HDD.

You need to be sure your looking at directories and files on your *backup* HDD!  You probably can not delete the *Recycler* and *System Volume Information* directories--those will be in use by your *old WinXP* OS, but the rest could be deleted to recover HDD free space on your *backup* HDD.

You'll probably get *warnings* about deleting *System* files and *Read only* files, etc.--as long as they are being deleted from the *backup* HDD, just say *yes* it's okay to delete!

Questions?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #69 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 2:33pm

Quote:
Here's at least a partial list of directories and files that a new installation should have added to your *backup* HDD:

If you didn't day delete it then I did not delete it. If you did say delete it then I did delete it. Saved me mucho space, like 3+ GB in files, but no extra  was in properties. Do you need to reboot first to see the savings?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #70 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 3:04pm

Quote:
If you didn't day delete it then I did not delete it. If you did say delete it then I did delete it. Saved me mucho space, like 3+ GB in files, but no extra  was in properties. Do you need to reboot first to see the savings? 

Maybe it did replace the space. I guess I missed it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #71 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 10:12am

@
leftyx

Quote:
Saved me mucho space, like 3+ GB in files, but no extra  was in properties

Not sure what you mean here--are you talking about *free space* or *size* of the HDD.  Size will not change--but free space should have increased.

Quote:
Do you need to reboot first to see the savings?

No, that should show in Windows Explorer as soon as you have deleted files--or in Disk Management's listing of *Free Space*.

In the screen shot from your Reply # 25, this was after the *new WinXP* had been installed and it says the free space was 167.00 GB for the HDD labeled *backup*.

In Disk Management now, how much free space do you have listed for your *backup* HDD now that you have deleted the *new WinXP* files?

By the way, you might want to label your WinXP partition with something rather than leaving it *blank* as it is now.  To do that, in Disk Management, in the upper window if you highlight the WinXP volume (should have just the drive letter (C:) listed ), right click it and select *Properties* at the bottom of the list.  In the resulting dialog box you can create a name for the volume.  Use something that's meaningful to you--I use *WinXP* for mine to indicate it's my WinXP OS partition.

Just another way to keep track of different partitions correctly--you have named the other partitions with *meaningful* names to differentiate them.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #72 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 1:27pm

Quote:
In Disk Management now, how much free space do you have listed for your *backup* HDD now that you have deleted the *new WinXP* files?

Still 167 gb of free space on the ***backup*** HDD. And I did delete all the files and folders you guys list for the ***new WinXP***.  Shocked

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #73 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 2:11pm

Jordan,

Have you emptied the Recycle Bin?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #74 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 11:41am

@
Brian

Quote:
Have you emptied the Recycle Bin?

Sure glad you've got my backside covered!  Oh, the details!

I use a file management program (PowerDesk--v4.xx--originally by Ontrack Data International--it's old and no longer available) that has the option to by-pass the Recycle Bin when deleting files--and I usually do choose to by-pass the Recycle Bin--so I don't think about emptying the Recycle Bin very often!

Thanks!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print