Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 stopped working?? (Read 20208 times)
Willard
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 2003 stopped working??
Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:55am

Dell Vostro 1510, WinXPproSP3
Lately Ghost 2003 stopped working!!

License Agreement comes up: OK
Application error 29005:
Write sector failure, result=1, drive=0, sectors 31 to 32

The Dos Boot CD returns the same errors..

It has been quite sometime since Ghost was used and worked OK..
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Ghost 2003 with the same results..

EZ GIG III and Easus diskcopy work OK for sector by sector cloning to an external drive..

Can you help me with Ghost 2003 because I dislike Ghost 14 with all its lights, bells and whistles!!

Willard

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 stopped working??
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 12:24pm

@
Willard

Quote:

Looks like Ghost is working okay--I'm not sure about that, but based on what's here so far it looks like Ghost is reporting a *critical* error on HDD #0, in sectors 31 and 32.

I would suggest running the WinXP *Check Disk* utility to see if it finds anything:  How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

You can run *chkdsk* without any repair switches (i.e. /f or /r) and get a summary of what it finds.  Then you can decide if you want to do the repairs--looks like you would probably need to do *chkdsk /r* to repair any bad sectors.

Let us know what you find!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Willard
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 3:44pm

ChkDsk c:
Verified all files and folders O.K.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 5:11pm

@
Willard

Did chkdsk report any bad sectors? On the source or target HD?

IP Logged

Willard
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 6:48am

All flles verified o.k. on both drives..
chkdsk found nothing bad..

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:14am

@
Brian

Quote:
Did chkdsk report any bad sectors? On the source or target HD?

Any thoughts--the sectors reported in the error message appear to be in the Master Boot Region (Sectors 0 thru 63)--does *chkdsk* examine that part of the disk as well as the normal *data* portion of the disk?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:44am

@
Willard

Quote:
Lately Ghost 2003 stopped working!!

License Agreement comes up: OK
Application error 29005:

The Dos Boot CD returns the same errors..
It has been quite sometime since Ghost was used and worked OK..

So, it looks like you have run Ghost from the Windows interface and from a boot CD--so you have tried to run Ghost at least a second time.

I recently got a similar error--and my first step was to re-run Ghost.  For me, the second time the error did not occur again.  But that's already been done here by you.

So, let's see where to go from here:

The sectors reported in the error are in the Master Boot Region.  Ghost, as part of it's normal behavior writes its identification data to the that region, i.e. *marks* the disk.  When Ghost sees a new disk for the first time, in the *License Agreement* screen during loading in DOS, it asks permission to write that ID to the *unmarked* disk.  You can say either *Okay* or *Continue without marking*.  Is that screen coming up--or is it just the *Okay* by itself? 

Also, as a normal behavior, Ghost writes a brief data string to that region whenever a new Ghost process is run that effects that HDD--what Ghost refers to a *fingerprint*--it writes what procedure was done and when.

Have you installed any programs that *protect* the Master Boot Region (i.e. will prevent writing to the Master Boot Region)--such as *anti-virus* , *anti-spyware*, or *anti-rootkit* type programs?

Also, many BIOSs have a setting in the setup utility to enable or disable *Virus Protection*--the exact wording varies, but that's the gist of it--if that's been enabled for some reason, that may prevent writing to the Master Boot Region.  Are you able to look at the BIOS setup screens--do you find an anti-virus setting anywhere in the various setup screens--is it *enabled* or *disabled*?

Have you installed any programs that *use* the Master Boot Region to store any special coding--this could be a program that allows for special booting and brings up special boot menus.  Certain HDD controllers that create *RAID* arrays will sometimes use this area.  Old systems (mid to late 1990's) used to install special code here so you could access large HDDs that otherwise the system's normal BIOS did not support--often called *Drive Overlays*.  Also, some programs write special anti-copy protection code here to prevent *piracy*.

Or, it's possible you might have a *rootkit* mal-ware progam that has taken over the Master Boot Region.  There are programs to scan for such possible problems.

There's more things to look at/try--but for now, let's see what answers you have for the above various questions as a starting point.

IP Logged

Willard
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 8:21am

I replaced my main HDD drive #1 with an Intel SSD..
Then used EASUS disk copy to clone the (USB)HDD to the blank SSD..
This was a sector by sector copy..
Can I get rid of bad sectors if copied to the new SSD??
CHKDSK finds nothing wrong with either drive..

Now running Ghost from WinXP brings up the following black screen::
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copywright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
For Realtek RTL811B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.17(080602)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE-ROM.
Invalid Partition Table. (Dell has hidden diagnostics partition??)

Ctl-Alt-Del restart with Ghost on Dos boot CD brings up screen::
"Make these drives useable with Ghost"
[X} Continue without marking drive
Ghost works fine from the Dos boot CD...
Clone SSD to (USB)HDD O/K...

Norton AV is my only virus protective program..

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:07am

@
Willard

Quote:
I replaced my main HDD drive #1 with an Intel SSD..

So, did Ghost 2003 work okay before you replaced your existing HDD with the SSD HDD (Solid State HD)?

What type of HDD was originally on the system--SATA (Serial ATA), or PATA (Parallel ATA)?

Can you put your prior HDD back on the system?  And does Ghost work okay again?

If *yes*--that would suggest some sort of compatibility issue for how Ghost accesses the SSD HDD--there may be a Ghost *switch* when starting Ghost that may get around that--you (we) would have to do some testing to see if that could work--but, need to understand better about your setup first--and answers to prior questions.

Quote:
Now running Ghost from WinXP brings up the following black screen::

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copywright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
For Realtek RTL811B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.17(080602)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cablePXE-M0F: Exiting PXE-ROM.
Invalid Partition Table.

Okay--those results are different than what you reported in the first post!  What are you doing different now to get that result?  And, when are you getting that screen--after Windows Ghost shuts down Windows, and re-boots to DOS?

Ghost, and other imaging tools, depend on seeing what they recognize as *Valid* Partition Tables--so this may be where Ghost is *choking*.  What program is reporting that error?  That does not look like a *Ghost report screen* that I've ever seen!

*PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable*--and what error is that?  I don't recognize what that may be in regards to--I don't understand your system setup and what may be wrong!

Did these errors show up when using you old HDD on the system?

My experience with Windows Ghost 2003 is that you can not get past the first step in setting up a Ghost procedure unless Windows Ghost is allowed to *mark* all HDDs on the system--when you first started Ghost after installing the SSD, did Windows Ghost ask to *mark* the drive?  Did you allow Ghost to *mark* it?  And did the *marking* appear to occur without any problems?

Quote:
Ctl-Alt-Del restart with Ghost on Dos boot CD brings up screen::
"Make these drives useable with Ghost"
[X} Continue without marking drive
Ghost works fine from the Dos boot CD...
Clone SSD to (USB)HDD O/K...

You didn't say it in so many words--but, are you saying you elected *Continue without marking drive*, this allowed Ghost to continue without the error message?

But, if you elect *Okay* to mark the drive, you then get the error?

IP Logged

Willard
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 5:18pm

This was the first time I checked "[X] Continue without marking drive", which enabled me to run Ghost on the Dos boot CD since the problem occured...
If I elect "[ok] Mark the drive" I get the error...
The original HDD was a 40GB SATA...
I will replace the SSD with the 40GB SATA recently cloned using the DOS Ghost boot CD, and get back to you...

IP Logged

Willard
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 1:01pm

Ghost stopped working before I changed the C:SATA HDD to  a SATA SSD and now when I replaced the SSD with the old SATA HDD it gives the same errors as with the SSD..

I IBMwiped the USB SATA HDD and with GHOST on a DOS boot CD, copied disk to disk from the Dell C: SATA SSD to the USB HDD..
Then I wiped the SSD and GHOST copied the USB HDD to the C: SSD...
Restarted wInXPpro and tried GHOST but received all of the same errors again...

What would be a good program to detect Worms & Trojans and fix them, including any good shareware if available???

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 9:19pm

@
Willard

Quote:
What would be a good program to detect Worms & Trojans and fix them, including any good shareware if available???

Any of the top rated anti-virus programs should work--Free versions:  MS Security Essentials, Avast, and AVG get high marks.  Paid versions:  ESET NOD32, Kaspersky, Norton, and BitDefender Antivirus usually get top reviews.

Anti Rootkits could include:  Sophos Anti-Rootkit.  Here's a list of others:  Best Free Rootkit Scanner/Remover--Quick Selection Guide

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 10:04pm

@
Willard

Quote:
I IBMwiped the USB SATA HDD and with GHOST on a DOS boot CD, copied disk to disk from the Dell C: SATA SSD to the USB HDD..
Then I wiped the SSD and GHOST copied the USB HDD to the C: SSD...
Restarted wInXPpro and tried GHOST but received all of the same errors again...

I don't recognize what *IBMwiped* means for sure!  I did a Google searched and found this:  The Hard Disk Wipe and Zap Utilities Page.

Is that the program you are using?  It's a fairly old program, but it does appear to wipe at least the first 8 GB of a HDD, which would be more than adequate to clear the first 63 sectors of the boot region.

But, the Ghost procedure that you are using may be restoring the same problem back to the wiped HDD.  Ghost will see a wiped HDD as *factory fresh* and it's without any formatting and no Master Boot Region yet established.  So, when you do a *disk to disk* clone of an existing HDD, Ghost usually will transfer the Master Boot Region of the source HDD to the destination HDD--so any *problem* that might be in the Master Boot Region of the source HDD will possibly be brought over to the destination HDD.

Now, I'm not saying a *bad sector* will be brought over--that's a physical attribute of the HDD surface on a platter for old school HDDs, or a bad memory chip on a SSD HDD.  But, Ghost's report of a *bad sector* may be a *red herring* report--Ghost is notorious for reporting an error message that in reality has nothing to with the actual error--yes, an error has occurred, but Ghost gets the reason for the error wrong!

So, what would I recommend?

1.  Wipe the future destination HDD's first 63 sectors.  See here,  ZAP63 will do that for you.

2.  Use your WinXP installation disc to format the HDD as if preparing to install a new installation of WinXP.  Create the partition(s) you want and then stop the installation process at that point.  (Or, use other partitioning tool(s) of your choice--just create the needed partitions before using Ghost. (If Ghost sees an existing Master Boot Region, it will not transfer the Master Boot Region of the Source HDD over--it will only update the Partition Table if needed, but leave the Master Boot Region untouched otherwise.)

(Also, any *sector by sector* cloning tool will potentially bring from the source HDD to the destination HDD anything in the Master Boot Region that could be causing a problem--I think you mentioned using some other cloning program using sector-by-sector copying!)

3.  Using Ghost, now do a *Local > Partition > From Partition* if you must use a *direct* cloning from one drive to another (personally, I always use image files of a disk and restore whole disks or partitions from the image files!).  Select the source HDD (your USB HDD), and then the only partition on it it there is only one, and then the destination HDD (your SATA or SSD) and the partition you wish to use on it.

4.  Now test to see if you still have the error message.

It will be interesting to see if that solves the problem--report back with your results!

IP Logged

Willard
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 6:10pm

Itried to install WinXPproSP3 on a zapped and a wiped SATA HDD but "Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer" even after formatting the HDD....

I have decided to give up on Ghost 2003...

Thanks so much everyone for the help...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 6:54pm

@
Willard

Quote:
Itried to install WinXPproSP3 on a zapped and a wiped SATA HDD but "Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer" even after formatting the HDD....

That's not a Ghost *issue*--that's the WinXP installation disc routine--it apparently does not see your SATA controller without adding drivers--you press *F6* early in the initial boot sequence to add drivers that WinXP doesn't have already present on the installation disc.  You have to use a floppy disk with the drivers on the disk to do this procedure.

If you had already *formatted* the HDD, you should have been able to proceed with restoring the Ghost image file!  What tool did you use?

Quote:
I have decided to give up on Ghost 2003...

You are not the first to decide that!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print