Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RE: my former plea for HELP! (Read 5621 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

RE: my former plea for HELP!
Nov 14th, 2010 at 6:42pm

Earlier I had asked for HELP, since I couldn't see my external hdd in the drop-down menu in Ghost 2003 build .793.

I'm rather embarassed to admit that I solved my problem by finding out that I need to wait about a minute after starting the external hdd before booting up with my Ghost CD.  Embarrassed

But I sure am glad it still works without tweaking in any way!  And the new hdd's work just fine in my laptop!  Grin

Rad, I think you need a "senior moment" smiley  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: my former plea for HELP!
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 9:39pm

there have been problems with that drop-down menu, accessing items.

i used to live in idaho falls (for ~9 months). beautiful country. cold winters.

what's a 'senior moment'?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:55pm

@
Rad

Quote:
what's a 'senior moment'?

Really!?   Huh

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 11:12pm

@
roxe

I'm sorry you removed your prior post--it was an interesting troubleshooting dilemma.  I wasn't able to respond earlier in the day, but was mulling over the various questions I was going to ask to try and find a solution.

But, good to hear you found the solution!

Quote:
But I sure am glad it still works without tweaking in any way!

I'm very curious--the boot files you posted, in the post that is now gone, for your bootable CD were standard DOS boot files--there were no DOS drivers that would allow Ghost 2003 build .793 to access an external USB HDD on it's own!

So, I have to conclude that the laptop's BIOS is mounting the USB HDD in DOS for you and allowing DOS to assign drive letters--was the external USB HDD assigned a DOS drive letter?  Or, is the external HDD partitioned NTFS and the HDD could only be seen in the DOS Ghost interface--not in regular DOS--i.e. you could not, at the DOS prompt, change to the external USB HDD?

There have been some posts that seem to indicate that a certain number of BIOSs do support USB HDDs in DOS--but, it's never been quite clear what or how it's happening--I have never seen a system that does in person.  Most of the time, the BIOS support is non-existent.  And if you use a DOS boot driver that creates the ability to access an external USB HDD, then the BIOS support usually *conflicts* with the DOS driver and the boot process crashes and freezes--you have to disable the BIOS USB support function.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 7:54am

One little addition..... on the topic of that drop down menu....

I once had the problem where my mouse could not let me navigate to the bottom of the list of possible backup drives.
I would click the little scroll bar, with my mouse, but nothing would happen.
I finally found that if I used the 'Down Arrow' key on my keyboard, I could get to the bottom of the drive list.
I never figured out any answer to that problem, but using the down-arrow key allowed me to finish my backup.

In spite of some glitches, I still prefer to use Ghost 2003 wherever I can. (always, run from a DOS boot disk)

Happy Thanksgiving!

OC

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print