Send Topic Print
Help please (Read 18730 times)
orissacube
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: Help please
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 4:08am

ok I have 2 hard drives HD1 305 gb and HD 2 240gb as defined by Ghost 2003

2nd hard drive has 2 partitons the .gho image from march this year is on partiton 1 called ghost backup NTFS drive

the main drive has  one primary parttion of around 15gb then it has 8 ext NTFSl logical  parttions plus one Linix parttion and a fat 32 swap

In ghost 2003 I select partion>from image I can select the image to restore from by selecting ghost image from what Ghost 2003 calls 2.1 to differntiate it from the first hard drive whose parttions are numbered 1.1 to  1.9
It then gives me the option select source drive from image file this is defined as par 1 Primary Id is 07 NTFS label diskload size 15829 data size 14643  (by the way I have checked the integrity of this image.

It then asks me to seelct loacal desitnation drive number I seelct drive 1 305gb

then it asks to selct destination partiton from basic drive 1 I then see the 8 parttions of the windows system and the fat32 ext swap and linix ext of the linux

partiton 1 the partiton that I want to restore too is greyed out as is parttion 7 and 8 because they are too small

WHy is this is it becauuse the descrition of the image I want to restore ie the same as the parttion I want to restore it too

. SO I could quite happily restore an old image from dvd using the same process if I do exactly the same process yet this time choose the image on dvd not the one on the parttion the primary parttion is not greyed out

so I can quite happily restore an image from dvd (but its too old) to the primary parttion on disc 1 but not a recent image from parttion 2.1 (first parttion 2nd drive) to 1.1 first parttion first drive.

Does it have something to do with data size there is very little free space on1.1 only around 40 mb

Once again I really appreciate all your input ti is at times like this when you can ask for help that you realise the wonder of the internet and the kindness of people

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 10:25am

@
orissacube

Ah....excellent reporting of the details of your setup!

Quote:
partiton 1 the partiton that I want to restore too is greyed out as is parttion 7 and 8 because they are too small

*and*

Does it have something to do with data size there is very little free space on1.1 only around 40 mb

Looks like, in the process of gathering and reporting the details of your system, you may have stumbled upon the *answer* to your own question!

I don't know the inner workings of Ghost, so I can't say for sure how much *free space* Ghost wants or needs before it considers the size of a partition adequate to hold the data that is being restored.  But, if there is only 40 MB of free space vs the amount of data to be restored--that could likely be the problem!

What is the size reported by Ghost for that 1:1 partition that is greyed out?

And, what is the size of the data reported by Ghost contained in the image file for the partition you are trying to restore?

Curiosity question--with only 40 MB of free space--wasn't WinXP complaining about lack of free space?

So, assuming it is a *free space* issue--what to do?

Well, I would pop my DOS boot disc in that has DOS PartitionMagic on it.  Do some re-sizing to increase the size of the 1:1 partition (I wouldn't want to do partition resizing unless I had a *good* (Integrity check passes) Ghost iamge of the whole drive #1 first!).  And then see if Ghost was okay with restoring that 1:1 partition to the HDD #1.

But, if you don't have PartitionMagic, you might be able to find other partitioning tools (free?) on the internet that can resize partitions non-destructively (i.e. the data is not destroyed by partitioning)--but, I have no experience with any of those.

Or, you could use Ghost to resize your HDD!  Here's how:

Do you have enough room on the drive #2 to hold a Ghost image of the whole #1 drive?  You would choose *Local > Disk > To Image*.  If *yes*, then make an image of the whole drive #1.  (Good to have a whole drive backup anyway if you might be doing other partitioning with other tools later.)

Now, do a restore of that image:  *Local > Disk > From Image*.  When you do a *whole disk* restore, you will get a confirmation screen after you have selected the drive #1 as the destination drive that shows the partition layout of the destination drive.  You can, on that confirmations screen, select the different partitions and change their sizes.  You probably need to *shrink* the size of at least one partition to create enough *free space* to add to the 1:1 partition to make it bigger.  Now restore that image to the *resized* destination drive.

Once you have created a bigger 1:1, now return to Ghost and select your March, 2010 image file and see if you now have the option to restore it to the 1:1 partition (i.e. it's no  longer greyed out!).

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!  Other questions?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

orissacube
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:54pm

Thanks nightowl your pateince seems to be endless and for that I'm thankful

Unfortunately my back up hard drive is too small to clone the main harddrive without losing the ghost image

Can you check my logic as this is what I've decided to do

I have a feeling that my ntfs.sys problrm is due to the little space on my OS partition. I have through linux run the program nsfsfix which repairs any errors . I have also run chdisk which again shows no erros so this is what I have decided to do

Buy another hard drive clone the whole of my main hardrive to the new larger capaicty hardrive and see if the problem persists. If it does then use the image on my back up hard drive to restore to the non working partition in my new hard drive that has just been cloned

Can you see any potential problems in this scenario.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 4:18pm

@
orissacube

Quote:
I have a feeling that my ntfs.sys problrm is due to the little space on my OS partition.

May be the problem--but not likely!

I looked at your post about the system more closely and finally focus on this:

Quote:
It then gives me the option select source drive from image file this is defined as par 1 Primary Id is 07 NTFS label diskload size 15829 data size 14643

Ghost is saying that the primary partition size is 15.829 GB in size, and the data stored in the image is 14.643 in size--so that's over 1 GB smaller than the partition size!  That should not be a problem for Ghost to restore to!  So, it's unclear why Ghost is refusing to restore an image file stored on the 2nd HDD, but is okay with an image stored on the optical DVD!!!

Your plan is not a *bad* one, but I'm not sure it addresses the *actual* problem--given what I have mentioned above.  But, it's worth a try.  Let us know how it turns out!

When doing the direct drive to drive clone, when you select the new, larger HDD as the target destination, you will get that confirmation screen like I mentioned above where you can change the size of the partitions before Ghost proceeds with the cloning.

I would recommend you put the new, larger HDD on the connector that the current OS drive #1 is connected to, and then connect that OS drive #1 to the connector that the other backup drive #2 was connected to (i.e. remove that drive #2 and set it aside for now).  Then do the cloning--you should see the size differences shown in the Ghost interface so you know which is the *source* and which is the *destination*.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

orissacube
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 3:03am

Thanks nightowl

I'm at work now so haven't access to my PC but I think the reason the image on the dvd is allowed to be copied is that it is much smaller than the current parttion ie its from years ago so only a matter of a few gb's so a lot smaller than the partition size as regards data

I had thought that the hard drive may have gone but it loads the linux partition ok. It passes chkdisk I can copy files from within my linux partition from the windows partition to usb stick or to the linux partition. So I presume the disk is healthy.

I do understand that buying the new hardrive may not be the answer but it will alow me to mess around trying to fix the problem knowing that if I make a mistake i have a back up. Also that C drive was getting too small and I often got maeesgaes asking to clean it up but I forgot about system restore. only the day before I had 350mb free then next day after this only 40mb so I presume that system restore made another restore point and used up almost all of the remaining space.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 12:09pm

@
orissacube

Let us know how your testing come out.

IP Logged

orissacube
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 10:34am

hi Guys,

Just wanted to update you on my progress. I am writing this on my PC I have fianlly sorted it.

The wait was due to my new hardrive arriving.

What I did was copy the whole system over from my corrupt hard drive to my new hard drive. I then disconnected the corrupt HD and then cloned my March  10 image to the C partition of my new hard drive. I then had a problem with Grub not loading properly so reinstalled Linux that rewrote my MBR and allowed me access to my Windows install which booted up no probs ( well after a chdsk sequence) so far so good

So we have a happy ending. I couldn't have done it without Ghost and your input esp Nightowl thank you so much for all your help.

It has taught me the lesson of regular back-ups for sure

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print