tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: -IB switch
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 6:57pm

@
wp

Quote:
how do i add -IB switch to ghost 2003 ?

Are you wanting to do add the switch while using the Windows Ghost interface--or when booting form a floppy disk or  bootable optical disc, and running Ghost from DOS directly?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 9:49am

i want to use ghost 2003 build 793 to boot.

i can not figure out how to use the -IB switch which was recommended by Lenovo.

thank you.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 9:50am

oops forgot to say it is an external floppy drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 11:57am

@
wp

Quote:
it is an external floppy drive

Quote:
how to use the -IB switch which was recommended by Lenovo

Okay--sounds like you have a laptop from Lenovo (formerly IBM), and you are using a USB external floppy drive, and booting directly to DOS from a floppy disk.

I presume you have *Legacy USB Support* enabled in the BIOS.  When I last looked at a Dell laptop's BIOS, it said you must enable that function if you want to have the ability to boot from an external USB floppy drive.  That may not be true of a Lenovo laptop, however.

Does your Ghost boot floppy disk load Ghost for you automatically?  Or, do you arrive at a DOS prompt and have to type *ghost.exe* manually--or have to change to some other directory manually first before typing *ghost.exe*?

If Ghost is loaded automatically, then the command to do that is in the *autoexec.bat* file on the floppy disk.  In Windows, use *Notepad* to browse to the floppy boot disk in the floppy drive and open the *autoexec.bat* file (you may have to tell Notepad's browse window to show *All File Types* in order to see it--if just *Text (.txt) file types is shown, then the *.bat* file will not show up!).

Probably at the end of the command lines, there will be a line with *ghost.exe* in it.  To add the *-ib* switch, simply edit that line--after *ghost.exe* put a *space* and then *-ib*.  So it looks like this:

Quote:
ghost.exe -ib

Then save that edited file back to the floppy disk.  You should be good to go.

If you start Ghost manually, then just type the command as shown in the quote above and Ghost will start so it images the whole boot region sectors 0 - 62, and not just the default sector 0.  This preserves the special boot codes that allows you to access the Diagnostic and probably the Restore functions during boot up if you press the proper key sequence.

On a Dell, the same issue is present.  But, if you change anything as far as the partitioning of the HDD, or if you create a Ghost image and restore it to a larger HDD--that *breaks* the ability to boot to the Diagnostic or Restore functions because the Dell boot code is *hard wired* to the original HDD layout and size.  Dan Goodell has a repair utility to help with that if needed. 

I don't know if Lenovo has the same issues or routines.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 9:25pm

thank you.

i will give it a try.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 5:27pm

i am trying to use ghost 2003 to clone the sata hard drive in my Lenovo SL-510.

i tried Local disk to image.  it did not recognize the internal dvd.

i tried a disk to disk peer to peer.  it would not work. got error message ~ can not lock volume. i continued anyway.  got error ~ can not continue.

i removed the hard drive from the Lenovo and tried to do a disk to disk in another computer.  got similar errors.

above was with ghost boot disks without switches.

then i added -IB one space after ghost.exe in autoexec.bat, but got same error messages.

suggestions, please

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 11:41pm

@
wp

Quote:
i am trying to use ghost 2003 to clone the sata hard drive in my Lenovo SL-510.

What *exactly* do you mean? 

Trying to create a backup image of the drive--so you can restore it if needed later? 

Or, trying to transfer the data on the current SATA HDD to a new, larger (?) HDD to be used in place of the current HDD?

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 2:03pm

thank you for the assistance.

i have two sl-510 lenovo laptops, and may buy a third if i am able to clone the hard drive in machine A so i can have an exact copy to  install in machine B and machine C.

just this a.m. i was able to boot machine A from floppy with -ib switch and start making a dvd.  i will update progress tonite.

i hope to be able to restore that image into machine B.

i could not find an ndis2 dos driver on google or Lenovo web site, or i would have tried peer to peer over network.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 3:36pm

@
wp

Quote:
i have two sl-510 lenovo laptops, and may buy a third if i am able to clone the hard drive in machine A so i can have an exact copy to  install in machine B and machine C.

You do realize that what you have described represents *piracy* by Microsoft!  To clone an *exact copy* means each machine will have the same license information as was typed in during initial activation of the original source.

You can *deploy* a baseline image of a machine to multiple *identical hardware* machines, but the deployment process has to allow for a unique license for each system once you boot it.  If you have a *volume* OS license, you still have to have a unique activation to indicate a unique machine.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 10:12am

thank you for the reply. i abandoned the project.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 10:45am

@
wp

Quote:
thank you for the reply. i abandoned the project.

But, you may still want to create backup images that you wish to be able to restore to the source machine and still maintain the information in the Boot Tract that allows your laptops to still boot to the recovery partition and/or utility partition(s) (if present).  So, there's still a functional reason to possible use the *-ib* switch, if it's needed.

Without the *-ib* switch, only the absolute sector 0 (LBA 0) is backed up, and only that sector will be restored if you are restoring to a wiped or new HDD.  If there is special *boot code* somewhere in the rest of the Boot Tract (sectors 0 thru 62--a total of 63), then that code will not be in your image file.  The *-ib* switch tells Ghost to backup the entire Boot Track.

If your system(s) don't have special code, then it's not necessary to worry about the *-ib* switch!

IP Logged

xcurious
Dude

Norway

Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 5:01pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 8th, 2010 at 10:45am:
Without the *-ib* switch, only the absolute sector 0 (LBA 0) is backed up, and only that sector will be restored if you are restoring to a wiped or new HDD.If there is special *boot code* somewhere in the rest of the Boot Tract (sectors 0 thru 62--a total of 63), then that code will not be in your image file.The *-ib* switch tells Ghost to backup the entire Boot Track.

@NightOwl

Why not use the correct numbering scheme: Sectors 1 thru 63 for the extended boot area aka Boot Tract?
Perhaps a detail, but many references to the boot sector per se is to sector 0, while we after a looong (   Wink) thread
have defined sectors as starting at 1 and ending at 63. We agree upon LBA 0 = first sector of the disk, which translates to first sector(1) of first head/track(0) of the first cylinder(0)...

Perhaps the 'sector 0' name comes from LBA 0, anyway not worth a new thread.   Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 11:40am

@
xcurious

Quote:
Perhaps a detail, but many references to the boot sector per se is to sector 0, while we after a looong thread have defined sectors as starting at 1 and ending at 63.

Hmmm...where in that thread did we agree on that--I must have missed it!

Quote:
Why not use the correct numbering scheme: Sectors 1 thru 63 for the extended boot area aka Boot Tract?

Most references use *zero* as the beginning sector on a HDD.  I have only seen one program that uses the starting sector with the #1--but, every disk editor I've ever used starts at *zero*!  Maybe the reference to the *first sector* on a HDD implies *#1*, but, it's not considered the normal beginning sector as far as numbering.

Here's a reference:  The Location of an MBR or Boot Record.

Are you interpreting the Cylinder, Head, Sector designation (CHS 0, 0, 1) as indicating that the sector numbering is considered to start at #1--well, if you define your sector numbering scheme as *CHS*, then that would be correct--but, I designated my numbering scheme as *absolute zero* and not the *CHS*--so, a different way to talk about sector numbering!

The *correct numbering scheme* depends on one's definitions  Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print