Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Disappearing partitions in Ghost 2003 (Read 94364 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Disappearing partitions in Ghost 2003
Reply #30 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 4:06pm

@
NightOwl

Because I only discovered the Delete/Undelete method for logical volumes in the last few minutes.

I've known how to repair overlapping primary partitions because that's the type people have been reporting with Ghost 15. Actually, the first thread I saw on overlapping partitions was about Win7. The member tried to do some partition manipulation with Partition Magic. PM didn't understand the 2048 sector aligned partitions and made a real mess. Win7 no longer booted. BING was able to fix it.

IP Logged

DL258
Dude

WA

Reply #31 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 6:22pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 27th, 2010 at 3:18pm:
So, on which drive(s) are each of the above missing partitions supposed to be?

The missing partitions F, G, and H are on Disk 1-- coming after C, D and E. (I did not reassign any drive letters.)         

Drive 2 is for backup only. It is not divided into multiple partitions.         

Incidentally, as I mentioned at first, I just installed Ghost 2003 to this PC and had not yet run a Ghost task in interactive mode. That is why the *No Ghost Disk ID* text appears after the Disk1, Disk2 text. Today while in Windows I clicked through the Ghost 2003 backup process to the point that it asks to ID the drives. Now I have in Ghost 2003 from within WinXP.         

Disk 1         
Win_XP (C:)          
UTIL (D:)          
APPS (E:)          

Disk 2          
BU_DRIVE (I:)         

Also if I did not mention before, I did run a full drive backup via the Ghost 2003 boot disk. All partitions are visible in this Ghost interface and the backup worked fine with all partitions backed up. It is only the Windows interactive mode (which I normally use) that does not display all partitions. I can certainly use the boot disk method but a concern is-- as I think someone already mentioned-- something isn't right and that could lead to a problem.

Looking at the volume information from PartInfo--in four of the summaries it says: Quote:OEM Name: OEMNAME  (OEMNAME ) And in the other summaries it says: Quote:OEM Name: MSDOS5.0 (MSDOS5.0)OEM Name: MSWIN4.1 (MSWIN4.1)

I have never changed or edited the *OEM Name* of any of these drives/partitions. I don't know how to change the *OEM Name* I was referring to the *Volume Labels* only.         

The tables in reply 13 and reply 14 are from the computer with the missing partition problem. The tables in replies 15, 16, and 17 are from an entirely different PC. I posted those replies to show a computer that does not have the missing partition problem even though it has multiple partitions created with the same Vcom program.

Is there something about how Vcom has created partitions that are somehow throwing off Ghost 2003 ability to recognize them?

Well I was hoping that was the case while at the same time realizing that the problem was likely not that simple. That is why yesterday I edited the volume labels in Vcom to match what I had done in WinXP.

If the partition labels created by WinXP are not compatible with Vcom--maybe there's an issue going the other way as far as Ghost 2003 is concerned!

At this point after some experimentation on other PC's I think in general (on any PC) any edit of volume labels from within Windows is unsuccessful as far as partitioning programs is concerned. And it is not as if the edit in Windows appears only in Windows. It does affect the *actual* volume label. In other words, if I use a partitioning program to create a partition and name the volume label *ABCXYZ* in that partitioning program, and then in Windows I edit that label to read *123* in Windows, it will now appear as *123  Z* in the partitioning program. I've even noticed that in BootIt NG. My experience has been that this can/does happen in other partitioning programs as well. I've used about 5 different ones that I can think of over the years. Unfortunately I don't know how to *un-edit* the Windows change-- meaning get Windows to read the exact label from the partitioning program again. So I don't think you can go back to the un-edited label as far as Windows is concerned. You can of course duplicate any spelling to make it look the same but Windows is no longer reading the exact label as specified by the partitioning program.   

However, the IBM laptop from replies 15, 16, and 17 has has been set up with Vcom and has had volume labels edited in Windows as well-- perhaps even more so than the other PC and Ghost 2003 still has no problem seeing all partitions on the IBM.          

Also-- on this computer with the missing partitions, ALL of the partition volume labels have been edited several times. But Ghost has no problem displaying the first three even though their volume labels have also been edited.            

And also-- Ghost 2003 in Windows is reading the Windows-edited version of the volume label. Ghost 2003 from the boot disk is reading the partitioning program-created label. Ghost 2003 never seems to confuse the two. Its just that it is not reading all of the partitions in its Windows mode. Therefore I really don't think this label issue is the problem.

DL
Multiple PC's on LAN
Ghost 2003, 10, 12, 15

IP Logged

DL258
Dude

WA

Reply #32 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Brian wrote on Nov 27th, 2010 at 3:42pm:
"E" for error. BING shows an "E" if there are overlapping partitions.

Oh that is good to know!

I've not seen it on this PC with the Ghost 2003 missing partition problem though.

DL
Multiple PC's on LAN
Ghost 2003, 10, 12, 15

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 12:05am

Here is another coincidence. An example of the C: drive not being seen from Ghost 15. Today.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Partition-above-extends-bey...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #34 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 12:51am

@
Brian

Quote:
Because I only discovered the Delete/Undelete method for logical volumes in the last few minutes.

Well, there you go--answers that question!

Quote:
I've known how to repair overlapping primary partitions because that's the type people have been reporting with Ghost 15. Actually, the first thread I saw on overlapping partitions was about Win7. The member tried to do some partition manipulation with Partition Magic. PM didn't understand the 2048 sector aligned partitions and made a real mess. Win7 no longer booted. BING was able to fix it.

Well, from previous discussions here, I was aware that PartitionMagic was no longer compatible with current Microsoft Win7 default installations--but your report here pretty much *puts the last nail in the coffin*!

Symantec bought the original Ghost from *Binary Research*, brought it to the masses, and then dropped support for the retail versions that resembled the *Corporate* (read that *quality*) level of support for the program.  The current retail Ghost versions (9, 10, 12, 14, 15) are *okay*, but they just don't have the higher level of sophistication that the *original* Corporate level (Ghost Solution Suite (GSS)) of quality!

Then Symantec bought PartitonMagic from PowerQuest--and now has essentially abandon it!

Well, Symantec is no longer supporting, at the retail level, the type of programs that I use on a frequent basis--as much as I'd like not to, Ghost 2003 will have to be gradually put to rest--we can only create *work-arounds* for so long before things start to *break down*!

But, TeraByte's group of Image for Windows, DOS, and Linux + their partitioning and boot manager tool--BootIt Next Generation (BING) continue to be developed--and obviously to ever increasing levels of sophistication and quality:

Quote:
BING was able to fix it

I just ordered their complete suite--steep learning curve ahead--but, always like a challenge  Wink  (NightOwl rocking back and forth chanting *Change is good!  Change is good!........)!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #35 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 1:43am

@
DL258

Quote:
The tables in reply 13 and reply 14 are from the computer with the missing partition problem. The tables in replies 15, 16, and 17 are from an entirely different PC. I posted those replies to show a computer that does not have the missing partition problem even though it has multiple partitions created with the same Vcom program.

Okay, my bad!  I didn't focus in on the change of machine mentioned:

Quote:
Here is a drive on an IBM Thinkpad with WinXP Pro on which Ghost 2003 does appear to not have a problem

But, you misunderstood the point I was attempting to make--and that's my fault too! 

Quote:
I have never changed or edited the *OEM Name* of any of these drives/partitions. I don't know how to change the *OEM Name* I was referring to the *Volume Labels* only.

You don't get to change that!  That's embedded by the formatting/partitioning tool!  You will find those *names* often listed in the first sector after the Master Boot Tract--and several other locations as well--so it depends on the tool used--and I suspect it was the IBM folks using a product specific tool that inserted those names.  I was *grasping at straws* looking for anything to maybe show why Ghost 2003 was *choking*--attempting to pin the blame on Vcom!  But, guess not!

Quote:
Incidentally, as I mentioned at first, I just installed Ghost 2003 to this PC and had not yet run a Ghost task in interactive mode. That is why the *No Ghost Disk ID* text appears after the Disk1, Disk2 text. Today while in Windows I clicked through the Ghost 2003 backup process to the point that it asks to ID the drives. Now I have in Ghost 2003 from within WinXP.

Well, I was going to recommend trying what I recommended in my Reply # 9, but, apparently the partitions where not showing up even before Ghost had *marked* the disk--I presume you did not allow Ghost 2003 booted from DOS to *mark* the drives either--before letting the Windows Ghost interface mark the disk:

Quote:
Also if I did not mention before, I did run a full drive backup via the Ghost 2003 boot disk. All partitions are visible in this Ghost interface and the backup worked fine with all partitions backed up.

So, at this point, I would try what I recommended in my Reply # 19:

Quote:
I would remove my current OS HDD for safe-keeping in case I needed it.  I would put in my spare HDD on the same connector as the original removed OS HDD.  I would then use PartitionMagic to partition the spare HDD to match the one I just removed--actual partition sizes would not have to be *identical*--big enough to hold the original data without crowding.  And, then I would use my *whole HDD* image to restore one partition at a time to the newly partitioned spare HDD into the same partition location as it had been on the original OS HDD.

Boot to WinXP after that, and open the Ghost interface and test it out to see if everything works--Ghost should ask to *mark* the *new* spare HDD--and if all has gone well--everything should be working okay again.

Use the partitioning tool of your own choosing.  If no spare HDD, simply delete everything from the current HDD, re-partition, and then restore the partitions from your whole drive image file.

Basically, see if *starting over* as far as creating the partition structure allows for correct operation of Ghost 2003.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 1:55am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 12:51am:
I just ordered their complete suite-

Good choice. There is lots to play with.

A new version of BING is due in December. Maybe. Anyone who has bought BING in the last year will get a free upgrade. We don't know anything about it except it will support the version 2 images from IFW, IFD and IFL.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #37 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:00am

@
Brian

Quote:
it will support the version 2 images from IFW, IFD and IFL

Anything *wrong* with version 1 image files?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #38 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:11am

No. Just that it is outdated. Ver 1 IFW, IFD, IFL were replaced over 2 years ago by Ver 2 apps. They are more sophisticated. More features. That's all. The images can be mounted in Windows as a virtual drive. BING has taken a while to catch up although some folks still use BING exclusively for their image/restore needs. BING image/restore is very easy.

I know you are not fond of imaging from Windows (yet) so you have 3 apps that will create images outside of Windows. Images created by one ver 2 app can be used by the other ver 2 apps.

Edit... There is a wealth of info in this site..

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:28am

One aspect that is confusing when using IFD is whether to choose BIOS or BIOS (Direct) for drive access.

For IDE HDs, choose BIOS (Direct) as BIOS is slow with IDE HDs.
For SATA HDs, it doesn't matter which you choose.

If you are imaging to/from a USB external HD, IFL can be a better choice than IFD as sometimes IFD doesn't see the external HD. It is BIOS related. IFL doesn't use the BIOS to access the drives.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #40 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:36am

@
Brian

Quote:
BING has taken a while to catch up although some folks still use BING exclusively for their image/restore needs. BING image/restore is very easy.

Oh, so it's just BING that still uses v1 images--all the other imaging products are using v2 image files.  So, Bing can not work with a v2 image file created by Image for Windows--for instance?

Was looking at the BING Info Page :

Quote:
Free minor-level version upgrades

So, if it's going from current v1.87  to  2.x--might have to pay for that upgrade--darn!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #41 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:54am

Brian wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:11am:
Edit... There is a wealth of info in this site..

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm 

Thanks for that (I think)!  As I said--steep learning curve ahead!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #42 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:07am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:36am:
So, Bing can not work with a v2 image file created by Image for Windows--for instance?

No.

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:36am:
might have to pay for that upgrade--darn! 

No. Anyone who has bought BING in the last year (It might be July 2009 onwards) gets a free upgrade. If you bought BING prior to that date it is 50% off. I have two bundles. I bought the second about a year ago and I'm eligible for a free upgrade and a 50% off. Worth remembering that each app can be used on three home computers.

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 2:54am:
steep learning curve ahead! 

It won't take you long.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #43 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:14am

@
Brian

Quote:
One aspect that is confusing when using IFD is whether to choose BIOS or BIOS (Direct) for drive access.

For IDE HDs, choose BIOS (Direct) as BIOS is slow with IDE HDs.
For SATA HDs, it doesn't matter which you choose.

If you are imaging to/from a USB external HD, IFL can be a better choice than IFD as sometimes IFD doesn't see the external HD. It is BIOS related. IFL doesn't use the BIOS to access the drives.

Thanks for the tips!

Maybe we should create a new board here at Radified dedicated to all thing TeraByte--any thoughts?

I looked at the *Newsgroup* at the TeraByte site--it's difficult to navigate using their web browser access.  Do you you use a newsgroup reader to work with their site?  Which one?  Or do you just use their websites access?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:18am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:14am:
Maybe we should create a new board here at Radified dedicated to all thing TeraByte

Good idea. Yes.

NightOwl wrote on Nov 28th, 2010 at 3:14am:
Do you you use a newsgroup reader to work with their site? 

I use Outlook Express.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print