Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cannot clone Dell D630 with System Restore Partition & XPSP3 (Read 11284 times)
Emancipated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Cannot clone Dell D630 with System Restore Partition & XPSP3
Dec 14th, 2010 at 10:01am

I have been using Ghost 2003 since it came out and used it to clone at least once a month. I recently picked up a refurbished Dell D630 to replace a D620 I had. The D630 has the hidden system restore partition and although I used a .793 boot disk from a D620 clone that I made on the D630 and was able to clone the new drive the clone would boot, allow me to log on and then quickly log me off. I could not update the new Ghost 2003 install from .775 to .793 using the links provided here so after messing with it for 3 days I downloaded the FREE Acronis DiscWizard from Seagate and it cloned with no problem.

I successfully cloned a Toshiba SATA 80GB internal to a Seagate 80GB SATA in the media bay using a SATA 2nd drive caddy I got off of ebay. Interesting that I can use Ghost 2003 via windows on the D630 to ghost between my D620 60GB IDE and the Seagate SATA clones (which were 1 partition plus the hidden Dell Diagnostic partition) but I could not succesfully clone the drive with the Dell system restore on it without using DiscWizard. Hopefully this helps save someone some time.  WD also has a version of Acronis for their drives. I may need that to clone to my new 320GB Scorpio Black.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Cannot clone Dell D630 with System Restore Partition & XPSP3
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 3:38pm

Emancipated wrote on Dec 14th, 2010 at 10:01am:
I recently picked up a refurbished Dell D630 to replace a D620 I had. The D630 has the hidden system restore partition
[ . . . ]
I downloaded the FREE Acronis DiskWizard from Seagate and it cloned with no problem.

Interesting!  And the PC-Restore partition still functions after cloning?

Dell supposedly did not include the PC-Restore feature on any of their XP-equipped business-class models, such as the Optiplex desktops and Latitude laptops.  The D630 is a Latitude, so it would be rare to find one with the Symantec PC-Restore system on it.  (Although you didn't say, we know you must be talking about XP because the Recovery partition on Vista and Win7 systems has never been hidden.  Only XP systems used a hidden DellRestore partition.)

Dan
Inside the Dell PC Restore System

IP Logged

Emancipated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 8:55pm

Yes it's an XP SP3 recovery partition. I was able to clone my Seagate to my new WD Scorpio with the DiscWizard with no problems. I was also working on some images for my kids' old laptops and I was able to use The Symantec link to update Ghost 2003 to .793...go figure on some old C series Dells.

IP Logged

Emancipated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 8:59pm

When I try to update liveudpate via the Symantec link using my D630 I get the following error even though I'm logged into an Admin acct "You must run this tool as an Administrator. Please right click the Internet Explorer shortcut, and then click Run as administrator. If you receive this same message, please log in to an account that has Administrator rights and re-run this action."

IP Logged

Emancipated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 9:51pm

Figured out why I could not update LiveUpdate In IE...I had to go to Tools> internet options>Connections>LAN settings and check "Automatically detect settings" This probably won't allow me to clone in Ghost since the boot floppies didn't work but I'll try during my next clone. Again, I  hope this info helps some poor soul Smiley

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 10:19am

I've had problems cloning an old HP desktop using Ghost 2003, but it clones fine using Seagate DiscWizard.  This seems to indicate there may be something with some systems that may be incompatible with Ghost 2003.  FYI DiscWizard in tests I've done is about twice as fast as Ghost 2003 and compression is greater thus requiring less storage space when images are created, and I now prefer DiscWizard to Ghost 2003 for these reasons.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 1:31am

@
Emancipated

You failed to answer the most important (interesting?) question that Dan Goodell asked in his reply # 1:

Quote:
Interesting!  And the PC-Restore partition still functions after cloning?

Did you try to boot to the PC-Restore partition--and did it load successfully?  You don't have to actually restore anything--the question is can you access it?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Emancipated
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2010 at 3:22am

Yes the PC-Restore partition still functions after cloning. Not sure if I would ever need to use it since I have enough clones and an SP3 reinstall disc but you never know so I'll keep it and its mere 4 GB partition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print