Send Topic Print
Decompression Error (Read 17139 times)
Andrea
N00b

I Love Radified!

Decompression Error
Dec 23rd, 2010 at 3:27am

Hello,

I'm currently experiencing the same problem described in other posts.

1 week ago I created a .GHO image (about 140 GB) with Ghost 11.5.1 by booting my notebook with the bootable ghost cd.
The entire process took about 8 hours without any error. I created only 1 big image file.
Now when I try to restore the image it always end at 5% and here is what I see in the log:

Date   : Thu Dec 16 11:11:14 2010
Error Number: (19240)
Version: 11.5.1.2266 (Dec 24 2009, Build=2266)

Attached there is the latest log from my latest attempt to restore the image.
If I try to open the image with Ghost Explorer (tried many different version) it ask for the last set but I have only one file of 140 GB...
Please help, I have all in that image...
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

-
Andrea

GHOSTERR_9.TXT (28 KB | 748 )
Restore_error.jpg (186 KB | 1066 )
Restore_error.jpg

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Decompression Error
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 9:11am

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 15, 14, 12, 10, 9, + Norton Save + Restore (NS+R) by NightOwl.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 9:41am

@
Andrea

Welcome to Radified Forums.  I moved your post to this forum because Ghost 11.xxx questions belong here!

Quote:
Attached there is the latest log from my latest attempt to restore the image.

Ghost32 is a Windows based version of Ghost--meaning it has to run from within the Windows OS.  Therefore, you can not use it to directly restore the OS partition--because that would be over-writing the very OS that is running the program.  You can create an image of the operating OS using Ghost32, but can not restore the image while running that same OS!

You have to boot from the installation CD or a boot disc (or disk), and use DOS *ghost.exe* (not Ghost32.exe), and restore an OS image from there.  There are ways to possibly run Ghost32 from a BART boot disc--and I think you can create a boot disc using Ghost's Boot Wizard (have to have the *full* program installed) that loads a version of WinPE (? specific to Ghost v11.xxx) that also allows Ghost32 to run from that Windows environment when booted from that boot disc.

From your attached log file:

Quote:
Date   : Mon Dec 20 12:43:32 2010
Error Number: (19240)
Version: 11.5.1.2266 Trial (Dec 24 2009, Build=2266)
EVAL

Not sure, but perhaps a *trial* version of Ghost may not have full functionality.  And, that date seems a bit old for a *trial* version--also a possible issue as well!?

Did you run an *Integrity* check of the image file after creating it?  You could also run an *Integrity* check on the file now to see if it passes.  If it passes, then one of the issues mentioned above is the likely problem.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Andrea
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 3:54am

Thanks and sorry if I have posted on the wrong forum.
BTW I'm currently try to restore the .GHO image from windows but on an external USB hard disk.
So I think I can use Ghost32.exe for this. Am I Right or Am I Wrong?
I didn't check the image after it was succesfully created...
Now if I try to restore the image or check it with /chkimf,F:\BACKUP_NB\asus.gho the ghost32.exe process always crash at 5% as you can see in the screenshot.
Please help, I can't think that there is no way to recover my files.
Thanks,

-
Andrea

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 6:12am

@
Andrea

Andrea wrote on Dec 24th, 2010 at 3:54am:
Am I Right or Am I Wrong?

Wrong I'm afraid. Even creating an image while in Windows is suspect. The drive may not have been locked.

Ghost32 works best in a WinPE.

IP Logged

Andrea
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 8:33am

Hello Brian,
unfortunately even booting my notebook with Windows PE both check image and restore give me the same error.
The process always hangs at 5%.
Maybe with the patch 2229 or 2298 for GSS 2.5.1?
Please help...
Thanks,

-
Andrea

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 9:25am

@
Andrea

Quote:
Now if I try to restore the image or check it with /chkimf,F:\BACKUP_NB\asus.gho the ghost32.exe process always crash at 5%

If a Ghost image file will not pass an *Integrity* check--it usually means the image file is corrupt and from almost all previous postings, it's not likely there's much that can be done  Angry .

Quote:
I didn't check the image after it was succesfully created...

I don't consider an image creation *successful* until it passes an *Integrity* check...that's part of my routine to run the Integrity check immediately after the creation to be *double* sure I can probably count on the image file being OK!

If you have Ghost Explorer, this might help:  How to handle a corrupted image file

In this old thread at the Symantec forum for Ghost Solution Suite, --Can't reimage or extract files from ghost image - see Nigel Bree's response dated 30 Jul 2007)--see if it has any relevance to your situation--you might be able to post your problem on that forum to see if the Symantec folks have anything new available to handle Ghost image files that are not working.

There is a newer post my Nigel Bree in that same thread dated 09 Jul 2008, that may also have some relevance to you!

Let us know what you find!

IP Logged

Andrea
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 10:09am

i read dozen of posts on symantec website but no solution yet...I hope that someone can help me to restore my files. Maybe with the latest patch for GSS 2.5.1, i think it's 2269 or 2298. Someone can send me that patch? I don't have a valid subscription with Symantec.
Thanks, 

-
Andrea

IP Logged

yak103
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 2:13am

140 GB image ? It's hardly surprising that Ghost crashed  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1