Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Built new PC; PC-DOS won't work now;what's best to do? (Read 9840 times)
voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Built new PC; PC-DOS won't work now;what's best to do?
Dec 31st, 2010 at 4:52am

First, apologies to Old Casper and other contributors to some of my threads posted here several months ago. I'm afraid I've been very busy with lots of other PC-related work in the meantime, so have been unable to respond to one or two tail-end comments from then.

I recall that my last topic concerned the prospect of me building a new PC for myself, to replace the 10-yr old one I'd had and on which the Ghost 2003 app was installed and on which I'd regularly run PC-DOS over some years. There was an issue about whether on the new machine I could use my existing PC-DOS version of G2003, ie the existing Bootdisk, and whether I'd need to re-install the app itself on to the new machine. I was assured by several G2003 experts in these forums that I wouldn't need to do a re-install of the app (saving HDD space) and all I needed was the copy of the Bootdisk I'd made on the old machine.

The version I'd been running on the old PC was Build 793, which I'd updated a long time ago from Build 775. I vaguely remember I'd had to get the update from a 'legacy' server of Symantec and it had been quite tricky to do, as the exact procedure hadn't been clear.

Of course, what I was advised wasn't exactly true, as I've now discovered. A Bootdisk made on the original machine will only work on a new one if the hardware is pretty much unchanged. In my case, the changes are quite profound and so it's, I suppose, no surprise that I now can't get PC-DOS to work, and so can't make any partition backups. I guess I've been naive.

At the very least, my mouse arrangement is now quite different. On the old machine, it connected via PS2, but now on the new machine it's USB-connected (though still wired). The keyboard remains PS2. So, when I booted with the Bootdisk on the new machine into PC-DOS, it wasn't able to find the mouse driver - presumably, because it wants to load a PS2 driver but the mouse is now connected via USB. You can, of course, proceed and navigate with the keyboard keys but you can't then select from partitions on a drive.

Before leaving the old machine, I made several new Bootdisks - versions with and without the -fdsp switch for Win7, and versions with all drivers. I've tried most of these on the new machine, but PC-DOS so far cannot find a mouse driver. And yes, I've remembered to run the floppy with the write function enabled.

The new machine is still WinXP platform. SP3 is installed but I've lots of other apps and utilities to install yet, before the new machine's completed. I'd hoped to make partition images (of just C:, into a different partition on that same physical drive) along the way but, annoyingly, I can't do that now.

I'm wondering what's best to do. For now, I've temporarly reverted to my old machine, so as to communicate with this forum and get some advice. Obviously, I've not wiped its HDD yet, and won't do until everything on the new machine's 100% working. Perhaps, after all, I'll have to install the G2003 app on the new machine and make a completely new Bootdisk for it, assuming that I'll still be able to get the update for Build 793. Anyone know if 793 is still available from that legacy server? Otherwise, it looks like I'm sunk. Ghost 2003 is, I'm pretty sure, the only backup facility of its kind that can handle individual partitions.

I've now wondered whether, if I were to make a fresh Bootdisk on the old machine but with the mouse connected not via PS2 but via a USB port instead (the mouse is basically USB but comes with a USB-to-PS2 adaptor), the Bootdisk would then subsequently work on the new machine. Am I being too fanciful? Would I screw up Windows and the normal PS2 mouse functioning on the old machine by so doing? Would the other differences in hardware between old and new machine still prevent PC-DOS from working? (different mobo, different HDD, different optical drives).

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Built new PC; PC-DOS won't work now;what's best to do?
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 1:52pm

@
voximan

Quote:
Of course, what I was advised wasn't exactly true, as I've now discovered. A Bootdisk made on the original machine will only work on a new one if the hardware is pretty much unchanged. In my case, the changes are quite profound

How about a link to the manufacturer's website for your new motherboard so we can look at the specifications--or at least the manufacturer's name and model number so we can look it up ourselves--these vague references to *new hardware* do no allow for specific responses!

Quote:
In my case, the changes are quite profound and so it's, I suppose, no surprise that I now can't get PC-DOS to work, and so can't make any partition backups. I guess I've been naive.

No, probably not *naive*--more likely *operator error*  Wink !  I have a *new system* and it only has the PS/2 port for the keyboard--no mouse PS/2--only USB for mouse.  I can not use the USB mouse in DOS either, but I can select one or more individual partitions to backup using just the keyboard!

( Quote:
I've now wondered whether, if I were to make a fresh Bootdisk on the old machine but with the mouse connected not via PS2 but via a USB port instead (the mouse is basically USB but comes with a USB-to-PS2 adaptor), the Bootdisk would then subsequently work on the new machine. Am I being too fanciful?

There is no USB mouse driver for DOS--you might be able to load a USB controller DOS program that will allow the DOS mouse driver to function--I've seen reference to it working in the past--but I've never tried to see if it works--can't do it today, but will try as soon as I get a chance!  So, you can not hook up a USB mouse on your *old* machine and create new boot disk(s) that will work any differently than the ones you already have!)

Boot to DOS and with Ghost loaded, using the keyboard *tab* key and the *arrow* keys, select the *Local > Partition > To Image*, then select the drive, then you should have a list of partitions.  Use the arrow keys to change which partition is highlited--once the partition you want is highlited, then press the *Enter* key--it is now *selected* and will stay highlited if you move the focus of the highlited partition with the arrow keys.  If you want additional partitions to be included in the image file--move the hightlite to the next one and again press *Enter* on the additional partitions.  Proceed from there to create the image file.

You would use the same technique if needing to select a specific partition from and image file to restore!

Does this solve your issue?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 6:45pm

NightOwl,

Thanks for your comments.

This is a machine I've built from scratch. It's based around an Intel i5 CPU. I've reused the OS I was formerly using, WinXP. The new mobo is a Gigabyte P55-US3L, which I chose very carefully so as to still be compatible with some of my existing peripherals and input devices but which would now give me a faster machine, once equipped with the better CPU and faster RAM. I deliberately chose the mobo to have one PS2 (for the keyboard) and a good number of USB ports (one of which I'd use for the mouse). I also deliberately chose this series board because it had an interface for a floppy drive, as I still wanted to use G2003 on the new PC. I had to make quite an effort to obtain a FDD of the same colouration as the housing of the new PC, as they're virtually extinct these days. An alternative would have been to have used a USB pendrive instead. I use a single HDD of the SATA type, which I've split into four partitions in exactly the same way that I had with my old PC.

Yes, your second statement confirms what I discovered when I tried to use the Bootdisk I'd made on the old PC, namely that you can use those keys you've mentioned to navigate and make selections. However, when I selected the source partition from the list of partitions, I was then unable to move to the next step; none of the keys allowed me to highlight OK and then to press Enter. So, all I could then do was abort. As a longterm method for making and restoring images, I don't see the absence of a mouse in the procedure as particularly viable, anyway.

So, to answer your question, No, this doesn't solve my issue. And I've no idea why the mouse driver doesn't load, on the new PC. I suppose it's conceivable that the new FDD is faulty, but I've no means of testing the FDD.

I've yet to begin to download and install a big backlog of WinXP updates. Some of them will include bug fixes, so again one cannot rule out something like that, I suppose, as a possible reason.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2010 at 7:48pm

@
voximan

So, my motherboard:  GIGABYTE  GA-P55-UD4P (rev. 1.0), Socket LGA 1156, Intel® P55 Chipset

Your motherboard ( http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3502#sp ) has a serial port (COM port)--you have the option of connecting a old style *serial* mouse--can not be an optical mouse--needs to be a *mechanical* one with the ball on the bottom--and unless you have a really old serial mouse with a serial connector, you need a PS/2 to serial connector adapter----with effort, you can find them listed on the internet.  You also need to make sure you have *enabled* the COM port in the BIOS--it may be disabled by default, but probably not.

When you boot, just after it says DOS is loading, you can press the F8 key.  If you time it right, you will get the option to load the boot files line by line.  You can say *no* if it asks if you want to create a log file.  As you step through the lines, you should come across the mouse load line--does it say anything about being successful or unsuccessful?  Does it say it on serial or COM port 1--or something similar?

My motherboard does not have the COM port available on the back panel--but has a *header* on the motherboard where I can attach the COM port cable from a add-on bracket that attaches to one of the add-on card slots in the back.  Even with no mouse attached, my DOS mouse driver was detecting the presence of that COM header and was stating that the mouse was available on COM port 1.  I purchased a COM port bracket and I already had an old serial mouse from the early 1990's sitting in my old computer junk pile.  I now have mouse support when booted to DOS. 

But, having said all that--a mouse is totally unnecessary--at least on my system! 

Quote:
I've yet to begin to download and install a big backlog of WinXP updates. Some of them will include bug fixes, so again one cannot rule out something like that, I suppose, as a possible reason.

WinXP updates have nothing to do with running any DOS program--WinXP and its various components and drivers are not loaded when you boot from your floppy disk!

Quote:
No, this doesn't solve my issue. And I've no idea why the mouse driver doesn't load, on the new PC. I suppose it's conceivable that the new FDD is faulty, but I've no means of testing the FDD.

If you are able to boot to DOS and load Ghost, then there is nothing wrong with the FDD!

So, you're able to select the HDD after saying you want to do *Local > Partition > To Image*, and when you get the list of all the partitions, and you select the one you want, the Ghost program *freezes*--is that right?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 3:57pm

My stuff's not that old, Casper! Yup, there's a serial port, but I've never had any intention of using that for a mouse! It's reserved for a connection to a UPS.

In the meantime, I've run some simple write/read tests on the FDD and, as far as I can see, the FDD is working perfectly well.

When the floppy program boots to PC-DOS, it says "Searching for mouse driver - no mouse found". But the program then continues to boot, so obviously then the only way I'm able to use it is via keyboard keys. Yes, I get as far as picking the source partition but am not allowed to proceed any further than that. The program doesn't freeze, as such. I can toggle between OK and Cancel buttons in that stage but unfortunately I can't highlight and therefore select OK. The OK gets greyed out. So, it's simply impossible to go any further.

I think the problem must lie with how Ghost reads the mouse driver and since the mouse is connected via a USB port on the PC which has a weird "Intel 5 /3400 Series chipset family Enhanced Host Controller" behind it, rather than the usual Microsoft enhanced USB controller, I don't find it surprising that it fails. As far as I can tell, though, the USB ports on the PC all work okay for USB-connected devices. I suppose what I'm saying is that there seems to be some sort of incompatibilty between Ghost and the particular USB drivers on this new machine.

I strongly suspect that the only chance I'll stand of getting the mouse recognised by Ghost is to install the G2003 app on this new PC and make a brand new Bootdisk. Even then, Ghost might not play ball.

Could it be that Ghost is sensitive to the type of USB port, ie. universal controller as distinct from enhanced controller? Will Windows crasjh or get screwed up if I tried the mouse in a different USB port?

I think I'm right in saying that USB 2.0 drivers were first produced by Microsoft and mobo manufacturers in 2001/2, but the Intel-type USB drivers now used on my new PC, and probably yours too, were devised in 2009 and 2001. Have a look at the properties of your USB controllers and root hubs in Device Manager.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 1:39am

@
voximan

Quote:
My stuff's not that old, Casper!

Are you talking to *me*?!  We do have a member that goes by the moniker of *OldCasper*--but, that's not *me*!

Anyway........

Quote:
Yup, there's a serial port, but I've never had any intention of using that for a mouse! It's reserved for a connection to a UPS

Use it for whatever you want--that's your call!  But, as far as I know, that's the only way you will ever have DOS mouse support without a mouse PS/2 port to hook a mouse up to--just trying to give you options.  (You can connect the mouse just long enough to use it in DOS while using Ghost--but because a mouse in not *necessary* for using Ghost in DOS--just need a PS/2 keyboard (NOT a USB keyboard!--there's no real reason to worry about temporarily hooking up a mouse to that serial port!)

Quote:
Yes, I get as far as picking the source partition but am not allowed to proceed any further than that. The program doesn't freeze, as such. I can toggle between OK and Cancel buttons in that stage but unfortunately I can't highlight and therefore select OK. The OK gets greyed out.

Okay, better details of the problem!  I bet you actually can't *toggle between OK and Cancel*--if OK is greyed out, you do not get to select OK at all--you must by-pass OK and go directly to Cancel if you *Tab*--you never get to select the OK button.

Did you follow my instructions in reply #1:

Quote:
Use the arrow keys to change which partition is highlited--once the partition you want is highlited, then press the *Enter* key--it is now *selected* and will stay highlited if you move the focus of the highlited partition with the arrow keys.
?

When you have mouse support in DOS, and you have reached that screen where you select the partition, you have to put the mouse pointer on that partition and then *left click* to select that partition.  If you do not have a mouse to use, then you have to use the arrow keys to move the highlited partition focus to the partition you want to select, but you then have the press the *Enter* key (equivalent to the *left mouse click*) in order to select that partition.

Before you press *Enter*, the *OK* button is greyed out and only the *Cancel* button is available.  Once you press the *Enter* button on at least one highlited partition, the *OK* button becomes available, and is no longer greyed out.

When you first enter that partition selection screen, the top item (probably your C:\ or OS partition) is highlited in blue.  But, unless you actually *select* that partition--the OK button will still be greyed out, and if you simply press the down arrow, then the next partition is highlighted and that first partition is simply listed, but does not remain *selected* (i.e. still blue) when the *highlited* blue focus has now shifted to the next partition down.  However, if you have pressed the *Enter* key while on that first line, and then press the down arrow to the next partition listing--then that first line remains blue highlited showing that is has been *selected*--and the OK button is no longer greyed out--and the next partition now has the focus on it (i.e. blue), but until you press the *Enter* key while that line is the focus--it is not selected as yet!

If you use the *Enter* button to select a partition, do you now get the OK button available to proceed?

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 8:23am

Sorry I called you Casper. For some odd reason, probably tiredness, I had the name Casper in my mind. Sorry about that, NightOwl.

Well, I concede that I might still be doing something wrong when using the keyboard to navigate through the Ghost selections but I do assure you that I've done all that you've now described most fully and it still won't allow me to go any further. With Ghost on my old machine, I've used Ghost quite a lot hitherto and am very aware of the attention needed when selecting drives and partitions.

I've run my floppies yet again this morning, trying out Ghost with Legacy USB turned off in the System BIOS, just to see if that made any difference, but it didn't. I also connected my external USB HDD for the first time on this new machine. (Bear in mind that I'm in the middle of installing and configuring a great mass of software on this new PC and that that ext drive is a physical transfer from the old setup). Windows installed the ext HDD without problem but, again, when I run Ghost, Ghost sees the ext HDD and its partitions, allows me to highlight a partition, but doesn't then allow me to select it (ie. press OK/Enter), to move on to the next stage.

So, the answer to your last question is Yes, I can get to a situation where the OK button isn't greyed out and I've highlighted the required partition, but the Cancel button is also not greyed out. That's to say, I've yet to get it so that the OK button is highlighted in white. If I press Enter with the OK button not greyed out, nothing happens. Thus, all I can do is abort.

It would be nice to discover I'm simply missing a trick here, but I'm blowed if I can fathom what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. I've tried all permutations.

Afterthought: Earlier, you mentioned using the Tab key. I've not used that key at all. To get into the 'Partition to Image' menu, all I need do is navigate and select with the arrow keys. Is preceding all this with the Tab key essential? Is that where I'm going wrong?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 10:02am

@
voximan

Quote:
you mentioned using the Tab key. I've not used that key at all. To get into the 'Partition to Image' menu, all I need do is navigate and select with the arrow keys. Is preceding all this with the Tab key essential?

I'm truly hoping the answer is *yes*!

Use that *Tab* key once you are to that partition selection screen.  You should see the *focus* of the active item on that screen shift with each push of the button!  You can *tab* to the OK button, the Cancel button, the drive selection drop down menu, etc depending on the page you are on.  Once you select a destination location, you tab to the box where you type in the name of the new Ghost file.

Test that Tab key on the various setup pages to see where the focus goes.

By the way, you can use *shift +Tab* to go the other way from the normal tab direction as well!

Are you back in business (sans mouse support in DOS) with Ghost 2003?! 

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 10:40am

Success! Between my last reply and your last one, I had a play with the Tab key and the 'mask fell from my eyes'. Yup, I'm indeed back in business (sans mouse), thanks to you. That Tab was absolutely key. (Sorry for the awful pun).

It was then a doddle to select the various buttons, etc. I've now made my first partition image, on this new machine. And, contrary to what I thought, it's not so bad navigating and selecting with the keyboard rather than the mouse. You quickly get used to the keyboard method.

Had you not briefly mentioned the Tab key earlier, I'd have probably never uncovered the reason for my problem. I had no idea that the Tab key had to be used. When you've used Ghost with mouse support for so many years and then you flounder without it, you're hardly likely to guess that the Tab key has to be used. So, that was why I was being held back.

Taking a more reflective view now, NightOwl, have you any theory as to why you and I cannot get the mouse driver to load in PC-DOS? The common factor seems to be that we're using Gigabyte mobos with Intel chipset that includes P55. Actually, in my case, it turns out to be an H55 chip, and it's that chip into which all USB ports are directly interfaced. With that chip, the driver for the Enhanced USB Controller is no longer the more usual one produced by Microsoft in 2001, it's instead a newly-written one by Intel, for this chip.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print