Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cloning question from noobie....Ghost 15 + Toshiba Laptop (Read 5463 times)
Quagmire
N00b

Giggity!

Cloning question from noobie....Ghost 15 + Toshiba Laptop
Jan 1st, 2011 at 10:45pm

Running Ghost 15.0 on my XP Pro desktop which will carry out this task for my separate laptop.

Need to clone my laptop Toshiba Satellite SATA 100 gig drive.  Want to upgrade to my new SATA drive which is 500 gigs.

Never done this before with 2 different sized hard drives.  The OEM drive has 2 partitions - one main for the OS and a 2nd much smaller one for (?).  This was obviously set up by Toshiba for some reason.

The questions I have pertain to - do I need to partition and format the new bigger drive first or will Ghost do this?  Or, do I need to do that first in disk management....? i.e mimic the original structure on the larger drive by creating a main and smaller partition on the new 500 gig drive?  Will the difference in drive size matter?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Cloning question from noobie....Ghost 15 + Toshiba Laptop
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 1:07am

@
Quagmire

As I mentioned to you in a private message (PM), I think Brian (our resident expert on Ghost 15 and similar versions) may be on holiday, or has gone fishing, or may be dealing with some aspect of the bad flooding in Australia--but, I'll give you my thoughts--but, I don't use Ghost 15, so take the answers with that in mind...

Quote:
Running Ghost 15.0 on my XP Pro desktop which will carry out this task for my separate laptop.

Technically--that's probably a violation of the EULA--supposed to have one license for each machine that Ghost is used on.  As long as Ghost 15.x will allow for direct cloning, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
do I need to partition and format the new bigger drive first or will Ghost do this?  Or, do I need to do that first in disk management....? i.e mimic the original structure on the larger drive by creating a main and smaller partition on the new 500 gig drive?

Usually, no.  Ghost should handle that for you.  I think you run into problems unless the destination is *unallocated* space.

You sometimes run into problems if you are attempting to use the new larger HDD on the same machine after you have allowed Windows to *see* the new larger HDD before cloning--Windows gets confused as to which HDD is which as far as assigned/remembered HDD partition drive letter assignments.  But, you're transferring the drive to another machine--that should avoid that issue.

Quote:
Will the difference in drive size matter?

Shouldn't as long as the laptop can recognize a drive that is 5x bigger than it originally had.

Quote:
The OEM drive has 2 partitions - one main for the OS and a 2nd much smaller one for (?).  This was obviously set up by Toshiba for some reason.

Most often, the smaller partition is a *utility and/or restore* partition used to reset the computer to the original *factory default* state if needed.  You should look up documentation to see what that partition is for and if you use special commands to access it.  One can loose the ability to access the recovery partition in some situations if you clone the original HDD to a new larger destination HDD. 

One of our forum members has several web pages regarding these issues dealing with Dell systems:

How to fix the Dell System Restore (DSR) feature

Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell Utility Partition*

Quote:

If the laptop's HDD geometry does not match the desktop's HDD geometry, you may not have a bootable clone:  Mysterious Problem, cloning laptops

What OS is on the laptop--that can sometimes influence the cloning process--and the outcome?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:12pm

NightOwl, we are in Vietnam. The Mekong area at present and I haven't had much spare time to devote to forums. This is a great place for a holiday.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:26am

@
Brian

Quote:
NightOwl, we are in Vietnam.

This is a great place for a holiday.

Ah...good guess--you're on holiday! 

Quote:
I haven't had much spare time to devote to forums.

Hey--forums can wait (besides, Quagmire has never responded back telling us what OS he's using on his laptop)--enjoy your vacation!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print