Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
my HD enclosure stopped working with Ghost 2003 (Read 20025 times)
friendly_jacek
Gnarly

my HD enclosure stopped working with Ghost 2003
Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:12pm

Hi and Happy New Year to everyone and especially Rad keeping this great forum alive.

I've been using Ghost 2003 since 2004 with great results and I learned everything about Ghost here.

Recently, I have problems with the no brand Oxford chipset-based USB2/firewire/IDE enclosure that I have been using to image/restore several PCs at home for long time.

It's not like it failed totally as it works perfectly well with windows XP, but it's not recognized by Ghost at all in one PC and produces fatal errors (#36000, #662, and some more) in another computer when I tried to save an image.

The hard drive itself is fine as I was able to restore from an image by putting the HD inside the PC that failed to recognize the enclosure in the first place.

I was also planning to test it more with more PCs time permitting, but in the meantime I started using another USB2/IDE enclosure (adaptec brand) and it works fine.

Did anyone have problems like that?

BTW, I have the Ghost 2003 newest build 793 with Ghost/Iomega USB2 drivers on both flopies and bootable CD.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Re: my HD enclosure stopped working with Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2011 at 1:44pm

Ghost 2003 has worked fine for me on a number of PCs with several different external drives, but it failed to recognize the external drive when trying to image an old HP laptop.  However, Seagate DiscWizard worked on all I've tried recognizing the external drive even on the old laptop. 

I'm unsure what the solution may be for Ghost, but you might try DiscWizard which is a free download and has a couple of advantages in that compression is greater requiring less storage space and it runs twice as fast as Ghost 2003 in tests I've run.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 9:10am

@
friendly_jacek

Quote:
It's not like it failed totally as it works perfectly well with windows XP, but it's not recognized by Ghost at all in one PC and produces fatal errors (#36000, #662, and some more) in another computer when I tried to save an image.

Well, it doesn't sound like the external USB HDD has failed at all!  You have just successfully found one or more system(s) whose on board USB controller is not functioning compatibly with the DOS software used to access the external HDD.

If you can still hook up the external HDD to systems that have worked fine in the past and it still works now on those systems--it's the new system that represents the source of *failure*.

Quote:
BTW, I have the Ghost 2003 newest build 793 with Ghost/Iomega USB2 drivers on both flopies and bootable CD.

The Ghost/Iomega USB drivers supplied with the original Ghost 2003 have always been somewhat less than universally compatible.  When they are compatible, they work fine.  But, they have been one of the most frequent reason for reports of USB external drive access problems.

If you don't get swamped by the encyclopedic nature of the thread, there's always this:  A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

But, perhaps the most common reason for *errors* occurs if the system's BIOS is trying to provide USB support for either booting from USB devices or access to USB HDDs.  You can often resolve those issues by *disabling*, at least temporarily, the  *Legacy USB Support* type functions in the BIOS setup utility.  You get software conflict issues if the BIOS and the Ghost/Iomega drivers (or other DOS USB drivers) are attempting to access the USB controller at the same time.

Let us know if you find a solution to your problem(s)!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 8:19pm

NightOwl,
good to hear from you and other people who care here.

The problem with the enclosure is new. It was my workhorse for backups as I would swap hard drives in it and it worked beautifully, both USB2 and firewire, with all PCs in my home.

Now, I tried to use it in 3 different PCs where it used to work and now it's not recognized by Ghost USB2 drivers anymore. I also tested firewire and that works fine (in 1 PCs that I tested).

I guess I could put together a boot disk with panasonic USB drivers to test that as well.

It's not a priority for me as the backup USB enclosure I have (adaptec) still works.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the USB legacy setting in BIOS. This may be an issue with the newest XP laptop I have indeed, but I made a backup with Acronis in the meantime.

I'm getting used to Acronis more and it may be a solution for all my PCs. I need to test it more.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:44am

@
friendly_jacek

Quote:
Now, I tried to use it in 3 different PCs where it used to work and now it's not recognized by Ghost USB2 drivers anymore. I also tested firewire and that works fine (in 1 PCs that I tested).

Well, based on those comments, I have to suspect something is amiss with the USB unit--not the Ghost USB DOS drivers!

Quote:
The problem with the enclosure is new. It was my workhorse for backups as I would swap hard drives in it and it worked beautifully

I presume you have check with different HDDs swapped in and out--and the setting for master/slave is correct (usually you want it set to Master) if your using PATA type HDDs in that enclosure?

Quote:
I also tested firewire and that works fine (in 1 PCs that I tested)

Again, that suggests that the HDD is fine, but the USB circuitry is malfunctioning!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

HellsBells
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 7:44am

hi,
my GHOST BUILD IS 2003.775

I have the same problem (I am working under DOS FAT 32 to boot Ghost)... everything works fine if I used an 40GB HD.... after i changed to an 160 GB this one worked fine too ... lol ... until the HD Backups reached the amount of 80 GB .. first i thought its the hard disk... I changed it .... same result.... from aproximially 80 GB Backup onwoards it start give all kind of errors.... I have changed now to an 360 GB external HD ........ same thing... everything worked fine  until I reached the magic 80GB of Data  ... My question is :
Is it a problem of  the  ghost version 2003.775 cant deal with bigger amounts then 80 GB or is a DOS problem  ??? ....  any suggestions

kind regards Hellsbells

PS : The DOS Version is Windows Millenium

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 12:02am

@
HellsBells

I suggest you upgrade your ghost.exe to ver 793. We know that version can see a 1 TB HD. Sorry, I don't know how to upgrade but I've seen the instructions in this forum. Somewhere.

IP Logged

HellsBells
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 8:21am

Hi Brian,
lol...... a typical australian laid back behavior.... I  think I will go with that one.... thanks for the tip....

kind regards from germany Hellsbells

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:07am

@
HellsBells

Quote:
after i changed to an 160 GB this one worked fine too ... lol ... until the HD Backups reached the amount of 80 GB .. first i thought its the hard disk... I changed it .... same result.... from aproximially 80 GB Backup onwoards it start give all kind of errors.... I have changed now to an 360 GB external HD ........ same thing... everything worked fine  until I reached the magic 80GB of Data  ...

Sure looks like your USB external HDD adaptor has some kind of a 80 GB size limitation!

All the HDDs *work* with the adaptor, but fail to work if data storage surpasses that 80 GB *barrier*.

My first external USB HDD enclosure was by Iomega and it had a 40 GB HDD--it was not designed to swap out HDDs.  I bought it in roughly 2002.  A year or two later, I bought an Adaptec USB Enclosure that was designed to accept whatever HDD you wanted to add.  And, the packaging said it could handle up to 1 or 2 TB of HDD size (can't remember the exact limit--it's been so long ago--and I've never purchased any HDD approaching that size!).

Well, that got me thinking about that 40 GB Iomega Enclosure HDD--I figured out where they were hiding the screws that allow the enclosure to be opened up.  I swapped out the 40 GB HDD for a 60, then 80, then 120 GB HDDs.  When I looked at the HDDs using disk utilities and testing of formatting, everything seemed fine.  Then I put in a 160 GB HDD.  That was the tipping point!  The Enclosure reported a maximum size of 128 GiB (137 GB) when viewed with HDD utilities.  So the firmware of the Iomega enclosure had an internal size limit based on some chipset that is unknown to any average user--but, it's there! 

Here's some interesting reading:  Hard Drive Size Limitations and Barriers , but there is no specific discussion of an 80 GB size limitation!

Quote:
Is it a problem of  the  ghost version 2003.775 cant deal with bigger amounts then 80 GB or is a DOS problem  ???

I'm betting that size limitation has nothing to do with DOS, and nothing to do with Ghost!  I'm betting it's hardware, hardwired internally--but additional information/testing is needed to confirm that.

So, what brand of USB enclosure are you using?  How old is it?  Have you looked at it with HDD utilities to see what is reported as to size of the HDD?  Have you run formatting tests to see what happens when you format?  Does this size limit occur when using the enclosure booted to Windows--or only booted to DOS?

Can you use a different USB enclosure that comes with a larger HDD to begin with (which presumably means it is designed to handle larger HDDs up to at least the listed size of the enclosed HDD), and does that work successfully on the system where your current enclosure is failing to work successfully?

Answers to the above questions and tests should help ID where the problem may be!

Let us know what you find out!

IP Logged

HellsBells
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 2:20pm

hi nightowl,
nice to meet u... lol...  the brains find each others.... let first state the facts.....

I may explain in the first place why i do need this kind of backups....  I do develop software and I need different combination of the software within different operation systems for testing.... in other words XP and Win 7 in combinimation with office 2002 up to Office 2010..... to make asure that my software is working within XP and Offiice 2002 / 2003 and so on....  the combinations of ghost images are stored on a external USB HD..... to test my program version i just restore the wanted image and within 15 minutes i can start to test... k ... now lets get ot the facts

- the first HD i was regonized this prob with magic 80GB  Border was  a 120 GB SAMSUNG HD enclosure mounted in a USB Case... all the sudden,  about 7 months ago, ghost 2003 refused  restore the Backups with all kind of mistakes.... I was really mad with the SAMSUNG HD enclosure, because I blame them for causing the problem.... I thought the HD was faulty and bad produced ( we call it over here a monday production).... I send the HD back to SAMSUNG Service with "note" (as u know they have 5 yrs warrenty)....
3 weeks later a new  200GB HD arrived with a big excuse for the inconvenience .... poor ppl.... lol..... cut the storry short... took me allmost 2 weeks to recover my system.... I  backuped it on 2 older external USB 80GB HD enclosure as well, (Lucky me) because i didnt like to have the same disaster again.... this was about 3 months ago.....
cut the story short ....  after I reached "magic border" of 80GB the backups couldnt be restored any more from external 200GB USB HD enclosure.... i thought `holly crap' ..... and i investigate into the same direction u did..... checked the HD with all kind of tools on errors and so on..... with no result at all.....after 2 days  i give up.....

- 2 weeks ago I bought a external 2.5 USB CAPTIVA 320GB HD (WD) enclosure  .... same problems
finially i have invest a lot of money and 7 weeks of work into this problem ..... 3 days ago i have searched the net and fortunally i found this forum.....
I researched it and found this thread...... and i thought wow i am not the only one discoverded this problem

this was the reason the reactivate the thread and look for some solutions .....

Now I will get to the return to entry point I mentioned at the begining of this post "nice to meet u... lol...  the brains find each others" ....
paralell to write this my post I regonized the Instrucions manual of the "CORPATE MODBOOT" and ur comment with the dell computer in on of the threads.... thats why i made this remark at the top of this post.....

thats my story .... maybe it will be continued...... finshed for today......... its  getting late  Wink

kind reagrds from germany HellsBells

PS: I am old fashioned I only use DOS BOOT

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 10:17am

@
HellsBells

Quote:
I thought the HD was faulty and bad produced ( we call it over here a monday production)

I'll have to remember that phrase!

So, set me straight on a couple questions:

Quote:
the first HD i was regonized this prob with magic 80GB  Border was  a 120 GB SAMSUNG HD enclosure mounted in a USB Case... all the sudden

So, prior to that, the 120 GB HDD in the enclosure worked fine--no issues with images past the 80 GB limitation--and then suddenly you had problems that did not exist before with that enclosure and HDD?

Quote:
I send the HD back to SAMSUNG Service with "note" (as u know they have 5 yrs warrenty)....
3 weeks later a new  200GB HD arrived

So, did the 200 GB HDD go into that original enclosure that the 120 GB HDD was in--or is the new 200 GB in it's own new enclosure?

Quote:
2 weeks ago I bought a external 2.5 USB CAPTIVA 320GB HD (WD) enclosure  .... same problems

So, now this is a completely different enclosure with its own unique USB interface--not the same as the one(s) used for the 120 GB or 200 GB HDDs--correct?

But, I'm most interested in the answer to the first question--did this problem occur recently--but, had not been a problem previously.

Also, what DOS USB drivers do you use to access the USB HDDs?

IP Logged

HellsBells
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 4:28am

GOOD MORING@ALL

First of all thank you for your super fast reacations.
I think there might been a misunderstanding. This report was intended as a status report.

Nevertheless, once again, many thanks for your selfless efforts to help me.
And the other I want to thank who have responded to my post.
As I said in particular, I thank you, "NightOwl" for your exemplary efforts, do not want to forget "Brian" who brought me on the right track.

Shorten the thing I want to present here is my current status:

I think Brian is right. I need to update from  Ghost 2003.775 to Ghost 2003.794.
That's why I bought on Ebay a upgradable Ghost 2003 version. After I received and installed
I will make an update report. Promised.

Here are the reasons for my decision :
Not only for Bryan but also on the German web page of Symantec, was this error
described.

Now even a few words generally. I think it's just great as I was up here.
Therefore I have decided to pass on my knowledge.
I use 2 programs which I think are unique and even "free". With these 2
Programs you can do everything your heart desires:

1. XXP Burner - CDBurnerXP (FREEWARE for private use)
   - The burning program burns everything
     CD, DVD and USB sticks. It's super stable, fast, and deadly
     and runs from WIN XP up to WIN 7
     The latest Versoin even automatically turns on at
     Compter used a language.
    A must for every proffesionl user in my opinion.
    LINK: "http://cdburnerxp.se/help/"

2. Virtual Floppy Drive (FREEWARE GNU)
    This program is outstanding in my opinion.
    - It emulates not only 2 blank floppy drives, but the program can
      do even more.
      You can start the floppy drive you
      assign with an individual configuration file.
      These files will be stored by the program images.

For example: blank floppy disk version 1.44, blank floppy disk version 2.88,
                        a variant of Ghost and so on .......
   LINK: "http://vfd.sourceforge.net/"

The combination of "XXP Burner" and "Virtual Floppy Disk" (with its stored Images) 
enables you to burn all  kind Variants of CD, DVD or USB stick in no time. With a little practice in
less than 2 minutes.

Could you also do a favor to me. Maybe someone can post the "SYS" and "CD Drives" Files I do need to enable DOS
integrate the USB DRIVE.

As I said when I have updated GHOST I sign up again.

kind reagards from germany HellsBells

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 5:40am

@
HellsBells

I found the update link...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1285502941/11#11

Hope it helps.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 3:29am

Brian wrote on Mar 31st, 2011 at 5:40am:
@
HellsBells

I found the update link...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1285502941/11#11

Hope it helps.

A comment on that procedure:

The install order, the most recent version of LiveUpdate with the hosts file first, Ghost 2003 next, prevents the old version of LU that comes with Ghost 2003 from being installed. That makes the installation "cleaner" but if Ghost is alreday installed, install LU "on top of it". It will be almost, if not just as "clean".

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Factrue
N00b

I Love Radified!

Karachi, Pakistan

my HD enclosure stopped working with Ghost 2003
Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:24am

Hi HellsBells,...lolx... When we use these kind of backup software it is replica like things of our system and system file. I used norton ghost and feel the experience of getting ahead from all virus and hazard causes system and operating system damage. Backing up the files definitely assure me that the file is save and secure.   Cool... And as you said that your Ghost 2003 stopped working, you can reinstall it or can take help from norton ghost support. : Wink

WWW Factrue Factrue http://myspace.com/tmbdeveloper  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print