Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using GSS from BartPE/WinPE? (Read 11295 times)
Ghost_Buster
N00b

Using GSS from BartPE/WinPE?
Jan 6th, 2011 at 6:28pm

Hello all,

I have GSS 2.5, which after an almost 700 MB LiveUpdate (LU5) I recently updated to 2.5.1 (11.5.1.2266). Does anyone know where the installer for 2.5.1 got downloaded, so that I can save it and not have to re-download in the future?

I used to have many different DOS-based recovery floppies/CDs, but moving with the times, I want to create multi-boot DVDs now, using which I can boot into DOS, Linux as well as BartPE/WinPE. Now I'm not here to ask how to do this, since I already have the discs set up and tested. What I want to know is, which standalone/portable executables can I copy from the Program Files\Symantec\Ghost directory that will work from the DVD?

I want to only create and restore drive/partition images from/to internal and external drives. No networking support is needed, but VMDK/V2i/Pqi file support is required. Keeping this in mind, here's the list of files I have:

1. These are the ones I don't think I need given my requirements. (Unless someone thinks otherwise?)

* wattcp.cfg - Network (IP/Netmask/Gateway) details for GhostCasting
    * GhoShExt.dll - Shell extension
    * GhConfig.exe - Network config. details retrieval utility
    * GhConfig32.exe
    * GhConfig64.exe
    * ghDplyAw32.exe - Symantec Deploy Anywhere
    * Ghost Boot Wizard.exe
    * GhostSrv.exe - GhostCast server
    * ghstwalk.exe - SID changer
    * GhWalk32.exe
    * joinxe.exe - Joins split files?
    * ngctw32.exe - Ghost client agent
    * vdisk.exe - Floppy image creation tool
    * vpartition.exe - Virtual Partition dynamic link library
    * VPartition.pdb - Apparently a C++ Program DataBase file to help in debugging? (And if so, why the heck is this even included in the distribution?)

2. These are files I have no idea about. What do these do, and do I need them?

* gdisk - No extension. Required for gdisk.exe?
    * ghconfig - No extension. Required for ghconfig.exe?
    * ghost - No extension. Required for ghost.exe?
    * ghregedit - No extension. Required for ghregedit.exe?
    * omnifs - No extension. Required for omnifs.exe?
    * GhostImageFile.dll - Ghost image file basic info. retrieval DLL. Required for Ghost Explorer?
    * imgedit.dll - 3Com boot image file editor
    * Int86_32.dll - Ghost disk access service
    * V2iDiskLib.dll - Symantec/VMware interop. module
    * VPartition.dll - Virtual Partition dynamic link library
    * win32ui.dll - Ghost common UI library
    * SMEUTIL.SYS - Kernel mode utility/driver
    * ghost.env - Contains Keynum, License, Keycode etc. Required for Ghost to be registered and work properly?

3. These are the ones I have identified to be definitely copied over:

* gdisk.exe - Fixed disk partitioning utility
    * gdisk32.exe
    * Gdisk64.exe
    * ghost.exe - Duh!
    * ghost32.exe
    * Ghost64.exe
    * Ghostexp.exe - Ghost Explorer. Not completely portable as it creates a Registry key, but seems to work fine.
    * GhRegEdt.exe - Offline registry editor
    * GhRegEdit32.exe
    * GhRegEdit64.exe
    * omnifs.exe - Multiple filesystem access utility
    * omnifs32.exe
    * OmniFs64.exe

So, can some expert Ghost users help me out here with this file list? What I basically want to know is, which files from section #1, and especially from section #2, are required for proper functioning of the programs in section #3? Thanks!

P.S. I hate bloat and have lots of other things I need to include on the discs, so kindly don't tell me to just copy all the files blindly and be done with it. I didn't post in such detail here and elsewhere to read such an answer.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Using GSS from BartPE/WinPE?
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 11:01pm

@
Ghost_Buster

Quote:
kindly don't tell me to just copy all the files blindly and be done with it

I guess it depends on how *valuable* your time is--posting such a detailed post here (and elsewhere), I guess, suggests time is not the issue!

Quote:
What I basically want to know is, which files from section #1, and especially from section #2, are required for proper functioning of the programs in section #3?

To be honest, I'm not a Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) 2.5x user, and do not have specific answers to your questions.  If you're lucky, someone who visits here may have such answers and will share. 

But if that doesn't happen, I can suggest a way for you to possibly determine the answers on your own (remember, time is not an issue--right?!  Wink ) :

If Ghost Boot Wizard for GSS works similar to how it works in Ghost 2003, then when you set up a specific type of boot disk or disc, there is a summary of what files are going to be added to the boot media before you finally commit to creating the boot media.  In the case of DOS, it gives you the summary of the *config.sys* file and the *autoexec.bat* file--those will tell you what files will be called during boot.  And there is a list of files that are to be included on the boot media--so at the least, you'll see what needs to be included for the function of Ghost in DOS, given the type boot you have specified.

For BartPE/WinPE--well that isn't a choice on Ghost 2003--so you will have to see if you get similar summaries before creating the boot media.  If *yes*, well then you'll have it.  If *no*, then create the boot media and look at the files that were included--make your list from that!

Why not just use the boot media created using Ghost Boot Wizard to incorporate into a multi-boot DVD?  Usually utility programs booted from stand alone boot media is not full of *bloat*--it's the programs you install in Windows that tend to have the excesses!

As a general rule, anything that has a *32* or *64* or a *.dll* is probably *Windows* based (i.e. PartPE/WinPE).

Any program that does not have the *32* or *64*--and is an *.exe* program--most likely a DOS based program--at least in the Ghost list of files.  (Edit--probably an *oversimplification--Ghostexp.exe, and Ghost Boot Wizard.exe are Windows based--need to test to see which ones run in Windows)

(By the way,

Quote:
Ghostexp.exe - Ghost Explorer. Not completely portable as it creates a Registry key, but seems to work fine.

It does?  So, if you run that as a stand alone program on a system where Ghost is not installed, it creates a registry key?  What registry key does it create?)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Ghost_Buster
N00b

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 10:18am

NightOwl wrote on Jan 6th, 2011 at 11:01pm:
I guess it depends on how *valuable* your time is--posting such a detailed post here (and elsewhere), I guess, suggests time is not the issue!

First of all, thank you very much for your reply. Smiley You're correct, time is not an issue here, space is! Or else we can simply treat it as a sort of interesting challenge to see if we can figure out what each file really does.

For BartPE/WinPE--well that isn't a choice on Ghost 2003--so you will have to see if you get similar summaries before creating the boot media.  If *yes*, well then you'll have it.  If *no*, then create the boot media and look at the files that were included--make your list from that!

This was actually the first thing that occurred to me and I did try it out. I chose the WinPE option in Boot Wizard and created the ISO. Opening up the ISO however, I only found the Ghost executables in it. For some reason none of the others such as Explorer, gdisk, omnifs etc. were included. There was an option at the end of the wizard to add files on your own, but that made no sense because then the choice was up to me. So though this sounded like it would do the trick, unfortunately I didn't see any way to get the wizard itself to add those other programs to the boot media.

Why not just use the boot media created using Ghost Boot Wizard to incorporate into a multi-boot DVD?  Usually utility programs booted from stand alone boot media is not full of *bloat*--it's the programs you install in Windows that tend to have the excesses!

True, but I want full control and have many interesting scenarios in mind. Started messing with Grub etc. to create custom multi-boot loaders and so on. All very interesting stuff really, and I'd rather have complete control over the process and know exactly what I'm putting in, and what each and every bit does.

As a general rule, anything that has a *32* or *64* or a *.dll* is probably *Windows* based (i.e. PartPE/WinPE).

Any program that does not have the *32* or *64*--and is an *.exe* program--most likely a DOS based program--at least in the Ghost list of files.  (Edit--probably an *oversimplification--Ghostexp.exe, and Ghost Boot Wizard.exe are Windows based--need to test to see which ones run in Windows)

Oh yes, I know which EXEs are for Windows and which for DOS. If need be, I can easily hex edit a file to look at its signature/header and figure out what type of EXE it is - 16, 32 or 64-bit etc. So that part's not an issue at all. It's the inter-dependency that has me puzzled, since I don't want to copy an EXE, only to find out later while using it in a recovery situation that it suddenly needs a DLL or something for a particular feature to work. That's why I commented on a file such as GhostImageFile.dll, whose properties tab states that it is a Ghost image file basic info. retrieval DLL. So... does that mean Ghost Explorer possibly uses it to do something to retrieve image properties? Or maybe one of the command-line programs uses it?

It does?  So, if you run that as a stand alone program on a system where Ghost is not installed, it creates a registry key?  What registry key does it create?)

It creates the entire "Symantec\Symantec Ghost\Explorer\Ghost Explorer\Settings" hierarchy under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. I have tested this on a machine with no trace of GSS installed, and simply running Ghostexp.exe creates all those keys, sub-keys and values.

I guess this is one of the reasons why Explorer is not included by default in the boot media, since it's not meant to be a portable program (although it seems to work fine from what I've tested so far).

I wish there was some way I could get in touch with a developer who actually knew what each file does and the inter-dependencies between them. That way I could identify for sure that if a particular program EXE is to be copied somewhere, only such-and-such files need be copied along with it and no more to make it work.

Maybe it's too much to ask, but hopefully someone out there who has this knowledge can read this message and provide some useful insights.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 7:28pm

The only version of Ghost that has supported Bart PE plugins is Ghost 8 according to what I've read on some sites about Bart PE.  No other Ghost version will work on Bart PE if that is true.

IP Logged

Ghost_Buster
N00b

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 6:51am

Thanks for the response Tator. So what you mean is, newer versions of Ghost will not work at all in BartPE? In any case, if that's true, I can always use the officially supported WinPE. That still doesn't answer my specific query though. I think I may be forced to copy each executable by itself to a (virtual) machine untouched by Ghost, then run through as many features as possible to see if any error pops up due to missing files. A longer, more painful process for sure, but unless someone can help, I don't see any other way out to accomplish what I want. I wish I knew at least what those "no extension" files are, since they share names with the executables themselves.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:20am

@
Ghost_Buster

Quote:
I wish there was some way I could get in touch with a developer who actually knew what each file does and the inter-dependencies between them.

You might have some success flagging down a developer if you post your questions to the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) support forum .

Quote:
I think I may be forced to copy each executable by itself to a (virtual) machine untouched by Ghost, then run through as many features as possible to see if any error pops up due to missing files.

I wish I knew at least what those "no extension" files are, since they share names with the executables themselves.

It would be of interest to probably many here to know what you find out--report back with your results!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Ghost_Buster
N00b

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 10:05am

NightOwl wrote on Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:20am:
You might have some success flagging down a developer if you post your questions to the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) support forum.

I did, before I found this forum. Smiley No luck so far.

NightOwl wrote on Jan 10th, 2011 at 11:20am:
It would be of interest to probably many here to know what you find out--report back with your results!

Well so far the 16-bit versions of the command-line utils I'm interested in, i.e. gdisk, ghost, ghregedit and omnifs, seem to be pretty much stand-alone with no external dependencies. Haven't tested all their features though, so can't arrive at a definite conclusion till I do. Those extension-less files seem to be of no use, but that sounds unlikely so maybe the 32 or 64-bit versions use them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print