Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I make a removable hard drive bootable with PC DOS & Ghost? (Read 5811 times)
cloner
N00b

I Love Radified!

Can I make a removable hard drive bootable with PC DOS & Ghost?
Feb 2nd, 2011 at 4:45pm

For years, I've been cloning a second laptop (which has identical hardware) as a backup using Ghost 2003 booted from Windows, a floppy, or a CD.  I recently replaced my 60 GB hard drive with a 320 GB drive and inserted the old drive into an enclosure ($7 on eBay) to make a 60GB USB drive for my Ghost image files.  This works very well, but it would be even nicer if it were bootable.  Ghost lets you make bootable CDs and floppys.  What about removable hard drives?  If not, can I somehow hack this?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Can I make a removable hard drive bootable with PC DOS & Ghost?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 4:57pm

@
cloner

You can install Win98 SE DOS into an 8 MB partition at the start of your USB external HD. Add ghost.exe to the partition. Then when you start your computer with the USB external HD attached it will boot into Ghost and you won't need a boot disk.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203371188

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Re: Can I make a removable hard drive bootable with PC DOS & Ghost?
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:15pm

ONLY, if your computer has the ability to boot from a USB drive.  I have several PC's and some do and some don't.
Plug in the drive and reboot, to the BIOS, and see if your motherboard is seeing the external USB drive.  Then see if you have a boot menu.  Many computers have that available from an F11 or F12 during the first few seconds of a cold boot.

On my main PC, with an MSI motherboard, I can even boot to a formatted SD Flash Memory Card.  It's really Neat!

Good Luck,
Casper  Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print