Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 15 doesn't delete old recovery points when disk is full (Read 14050 times)
TheCylon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 15 doesn't delete old recovery points when disk is full
Feb 18th, 2011 at 3:58pm

Dear Friends:

First, I've to request apologizes about my bad English. Hope you understand my question!!!

I'm evaluating the trial version of Norton Ghost 15. What I want to do is a backup of two computers in my office. The process has two steps: First, each of the computers have an external usb disk where the backups are made.

Next, there are two diferent NAS disks where "offsite copys" of the backups are made. The point is to rotate the NAS disk, and to have only one online (the other will be in another location).

All works fine, but I've a big problem. Ghost does not erase the old recovery points when the usb disk is full. I've tried all the possible configuration tricks, without success.

The only thing that works, is to manually calculate how much space I will need in the external USB disk, and configure a maximun number of recovery points +1, but enough to make first the backup, and when the backup finishes, then ghost deletes the oldest recovery point.

I have the same problem with the NAS disk. When they become full, instead of erasing old recovery points, ghost shows an error message and does not copy the backup to the nas.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Cylon

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 15 doesn't delete old recovery points when disk is full
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 2:17am

@
TheCylon

TheCylon wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 3:58pm:
The only thing that works, is to manually calculate how much space I will need in the external USB disk, and configure a maximun number of recovery points +1, but enough to make first the backup, and when the backup finishes, then ghost deletes the oldest recovery point.

That's  how I do it. I don't take any notice of how Ghost manages HD space and I often delete recovery points manually and ignore the Ghost history. I know this isn't the answer you wanted.

Where are you from?

IP Logged

TheCylon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:22pm

Thank you for your answer.

I'm from Spain. I hope Symantec will fix this feature one day... Sad

Best regdards

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 10:32am

@
TheCylon

Quote:
I've to request apologizes about my bad English

Looks awfully good to me!

@
Brian

Does Terabyte's Image for Windows have a better image management setup where it is aware of HDD size and deletes old backups to make room for new backups?

I know I have used *home made* batch files to *programmatically* (is that a word?!) delete old images before creating a new image (I'm using Ghost 2003--not Ghost 15!)--and, the batch file can be designed to maintain whatever number of backups as needed given the size of the HDD and how many images it can hold.  This can be done from within Windows prior to starting the backup (if using NTFS partitions that DOS can not *see*)--or from DOS if using FAT partitions for the image files.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 2:05pm

@
NightOwl

Not from within the app but these scripts can be used...

Additional Items

Sample Backup Batch Script 1 - Rotate based on free space.

Sample Backup Batch Script 2 - Rotate based on count.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-image-for-windows.htm#addon

I use a my own batch file to manage the number of differential images stored and I delete old base images manually.

IP Logged

TheCylon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 6:15am

Thank you for your help.

I'm thinking in another way to do the job. This way is more simple. I have two computers and two NAS drives. The two NAS drives have the same IP.

Only one NAS is conected to the net at the same time (drive A). The other (drive B) is in a safe place. Everyday, ghost does a backup of each computer to the nas. I'm not sure, but the copy maybe incremental, and maybe each week it creates a new restoration point.

Once a month, I change the Nas drive, and put the other online.

Do you think I will have problems with the recovery points? Maybe norton ghost will be confused when some recovery points dissapear (when I disconected drive A) and another appear (when I connect drive B).

I'm not sure if ghost will delete old files when the disk become full.

What do you think?

Best regards

Cylon.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:14pm

@
Brian

Thanks for pointing me to those links!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:29pm

@
TheCylon

Looks like Brian may have *gone fishin*......I'm not a Ghost 15 user so I can't say I know the answers from personal experience...but I'll take a shot at it....

Quote:
Do you think I will have problems with the recovery points? Maybe norton ghost will be confused when some recovery points dissapear (when I disconected drive A) and another appear (when I connect drive B).

I think Ghost 15 has to keep all the incrementals after creating the initial baseline together in one place (on the same HDD).  If you swap your NAS A out and put in NAS B--the backup *set* will be broken.  I think you will have to define a new baseline for things to go forward from that point.

Quote:
I'm not sure if ghost will delete old files when the disk become full.

As I understand it, with Ghost 15 you don't have much control if you let it run on *automatic*--it will decide when to begin a new baseline and new incrementals.  I'm not sure Ghost will delete old files unless there's a setting to tell Ghost how many baseline + incremental backup sets to maintain.  But, I think switching NASs would break that anyway.

So, you could manually begin a new baseline and incrementals each time you switch NASs--that should work.  And, then delete any old baseline + incrementals with each switch cycle.

Brian will be around eventually and set us straight.  But, you could set things up and report back what your experience has been.  Use some short time period, some limited number of backup sets, and attempt switching your NASs--what happens......?

IP Logged

TheCylon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:18am

Ok, thank you for your help. I will try during a couple of months, and do some tests.

I can not spend my time each month, when the NASs are switched, doing manual adjusts. What I want is an "unatended mode", wich can manage unexperienced users.

I will report back my discoveries  Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:27pm

@
TheCylon

I don't use this feature but does this post help?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1270571056/2#2

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print