Send Topic Print
Pc Dos! (Read 3682 times)
Dilzo
N00b

I Love Radified!

London

Pc Dos!
Feb 23rd, 2011 at 5:17pm

Hey i have a computer dx2000 mt (yeah its a very old computer had it for like 6 years) but recently its into a startup loop and this happend before and when it did i put in the norton ghost 9.0 cd and i did the pc doctor thing and it started working but now when i insert the disc it starts up as pc dos 7.1 start up menu and gives me 5 choices
1. Continue without loading any drivers
2. Load CD drivers (IDE and SCSI)
3. Load USB 1.1 drivers
4. Load USB 2.0 drivers
5. Load firewire drivers

And i'm completely confused and i chose 1. and nothing happens then i chose 2. and and it says unable to find any aic-78xx/aic-75xx
Aspi8dos.sys installation failed

AHA-2540/1542/1640 ASPI Managet fd DOS
Version 3.36
Copyright 1989-1998 Adaptec, Inc.

ASPI4DOS.SYS installation failed

ASPI CD-ROM DRIVER FOR DOS
Version 4.01
Copyright 1990-1996 Adaptec, Inc.

ERROR: Adaptec ASPI Device driver not available
CD-ROM driver NOT LOADED: No valid adaptec host adapter
Microsoft (r) Mouse driver version 8.20
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1992-1993
Mouse driver installed
Device driver not found : 'cd2'.
MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright (c) IBM Corp. 1986-1994. All rights reserved
                      Drive c: = Driver CD1 Unit 0

A:\>

Thats all that happens and i don't know what to do next. Please help also i've lost my windows cd  Cry

One more thing every time I try and enter anything it says "Bad command line"

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Pc Dos!
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 11:13pm

@
Dilzo

Welcome to Radified Forums.  Your post has some confusing statements--so I'm going to ask for some clarifications:

Quote:
i put in the norton ghost 9.0 cd and i did the pc doctor thing and it started working

I think Ghost 9 does have some *utilities* on the bootable installation disc when you boot to its *Recovery Environment*--but, I'm not sure which ones for sure--I don't personally use Ghost 9--but, could you explain *pc doctor thing*--not sure what that might be.....

Quote:
i have a computer dx2000 mt (yeah its a very old computer had it for like 6 years) but recently its into a startup loop

What was the last major thing (installed a new program, changed a setting, installed new hardware) you did on the system before that problem showed up--that may point to the problem!

Might be able to gain control by hitting the F8 key as soon as the system completes its initial POST sequence and says it's beginning to load the OS--probably just after the single beep.  If you time it right, you should get a boot menu for Windows giving several choices--one of which should be *Start in Safe Mode*.  Choose that one and see if you can get into Windows Safe Mode. 

If *Yes*, Safe Mode has limited functions, but you should be able to do some basic trouble shooting.  You might actually get a chance to see whatever the error is.  If so, copy down the exact information and post it so we can see it.

You don't mention which OS you have, but if it's WinXP, you may be able to stop the automatic restart as follows:

Quote:
You can stop the *automatic* reboot behavior by changing a default setting--may be able to do that on a current system that is giving you problems by hitting F8 and selecting booting to *Safe Mode*.

Rt click *My Computer*, select *Properties*, go to *Advanced*, *Startup and Recovery/Settings*--in *System failure*, un-check *Automatically restart*.

Quote:
now when i insert the disc it starts up as pc dos 7.1 start up menu and gives me 5 choices

Ghost 9 was a transition version of Ghost, and Symantec included an installation disc for Ghost 2003 as well for those folks you could not install Ghost 9 (I think you had to have WinXP running for Ghost 9--if you still had Win98se or similar, then your only choice was Ghost 2003.)  The boot you are describing is to the Ghost 2003 DOS boot--and is completely unrelated to Ghost 9!

The various *failure* messages are because the DOS boot disc is a general disc that is attempting to load various DOS drivers for different types of optical drives.  If they are not found, then the load fails and the boot sequence moves on to the next item.

Quote:
MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright (c) IBM Corp. 1986-1994. All rights reserved
                      Drive c: = Driver CD1 Unit 0

Your optical drive was found, and probably *OakCDRom* DOS driver was successfully loaded and MSCDEX is successfully assigning a DOS drive letter to your optical drive--i.e. drive *C*--you probably have only NTFS partition(s) on your HDD--and DOS can not *see* the NTFS file system--so no drive letter(s) are assigned to anything but your optical drive.

Quote:
One more thing every time I try and enter anything it says "Bad command line"

DOS requires very specific commands--if mistyped or inappropriate--you get that response.

Quote:
Thats all that happens and i don't know what to do next

Find you Ghost 9 CD?  But, I'm still not sure what that *pc doctor thingy* is--and how it helped!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print