Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 15.0 - Worth Purchase? (Read 6513 times)
Yan
Ex Member

Ghost 15.0 - Worth Purchase?
Mar 7th, 2011 at 11:22am

Choice of System Clone Restoration Bootable Software

I am new to your forum and read that your members has a lot of experiences with System Clone Software.

I am overwhelmed by the amount of thread where I am simply looking for straight forward answers.

I have been using Norton Ghost 2003, on and off. It worked great for IDE HDD for Windows XP, but now, this version seems to be reaching limits on SATA motherboards and newer devices.

NG 2003 had an issue loading the DOS OS boot where it froze and could not access my HDD. Had to change settings on motherboard bios for HDD to a IDE compatibility and not SATA and NG continued it's boot process to create the disk images.

I am looking for recommendations and advice for a good system cloning restoration software.

Software able to create Bootable media in CDs, DVDs, USB HDD, USB Flash, eSata HDD. (CD or DVD will be used more often)

For systems:
HDD: IDE, SATA 2.0/3.0, SSD
Intel Pentium III to i7 (similar AMD)
No Plans for RAID setups

Software is able to restore the cloned image on a new HDD and config partitions to fit the drive. (i.e. Original HDD 100 GB, Part 1 [5GB/50GB], Part 2 [100MB/50GB], on New HDD 50GB,  Part 1 [5GB/25GB], Part 2 [100MB/25GB])

I read that Norton Ghost does this, however not CloneZilla and other Software.

What are you recommendations?

I thought of purchasing Norton Ghost 15 for latest support. However, I read mixed opinions that this version is worst.. etc.

Ghost 15.0
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832108551CVF

Ghost 14.0 (why is 14.0 displayed and not 15.0?)
http://ca.norton.com/ghost/

Ghost 15.0
http://us.norton.com/ghost/

I wish to use this on a few computers to create an initial config. Then, remove NG from the system. Do I require multiple licenses?

Thanks, for the support.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 15.0 - Worth Purchase?
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 4:02pm

@
Yan

Ghost 15 will do all of the above but is licensed for use on one computer. Do you plan to only use image/restore apps on your own computers or in a business setting. If it is business, Ghost Solution Suite could be a better choice. I'd discuss licensing with Symantec.

There are many backup/restore apps now and as many personal preferences. Make up your own mind but there are no issues with Ghost 15.

Quote:
Ghost 14.0 (why is 14.0 displayed and not 15.0?)

It's been like that for months and Symantec know about it. I gather if you choose Ghost 14 you get Ghost 15 but it should be fixed.

IP Logged

kollo
Dude

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 1:57pm

I have also been using Ghost 2003 for many years for Windows XP but have now moved the Windows 7 and need something new so I am the situation as Yan.

I have always been able to trust Ghost 2003 to make perfect clones of my Windows XP installations and would like something similar for Windows 7 (currently 32-bit only).

If I recall correctly, there was a lot of discussion about problems with the hot imaging functionality of Ghost 11/12/13 earlier. Are those problems gone with Ghost 15? If not, is the cold imaging functionality in Ghost 15 as solid as in Ghost 2003?

BTW, can you perform cold imaging with Ghost 15 without having a license for both the source system and the target system?

Is the built in full system backup in Windows 7 reliable so I could use that instead?

Thanks,
kollo

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 2:14pm

@
kollo

kollo wrote on Mar 12th, 2011 at 1:57pm:
If I recall correctly, there was a lot of discussion about problems with the hot imaging functionality of Ghost

There certainly has been lots of discussion but there has not been any problems at all with the hot imaging functionality of Ghost.

can you perform cold imaging with Ghost 15 without having a license for both the source system and the target system?

Ghost 15 is licensed for use on one computer.

Is the built in full system backup in Windows 7 reliable so I could use that instead?

It is reliable but for my purposes it is so limited that it is useless. I haven't used it for a while and I didn't make notes. I recall it was "kid's stuff" as an imaging app.

Many people are still using Ghost 2003 with Win7. If you are restoring to the same partition there are no issues but restoring to a new partition or unallocated space causes BCD problems. These can be corrected or prevented with an edit of the BCD.

IP Logged

kollo
Dude

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 2:46pm

ok, thanks.

I have been looking at Macrium as an alternative to purchasing Ghost 15. From what I read it should be very reliable. And there is a free version also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print