Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to boot to Ghost 2003/8.x Virtual Partition from Scheduled Task. (Read 23807 times)
pushin1sAnd0s
N00b

Help, Get me outta' here!

Uniontown, PA

How to boot to Ghost 2003/8.x Virtual Partition from Scheduled Task.
Mar 11th, 2011 at 3:37pm

I have a stand-alone PC running Win-XP w/ 2 internal Hard Drives.  One 40GB (w/ Win install) & a formatted blank fat32 20GB hard drive for image destination.  Also a Win-7 box w/ a 250GB appx internal hard drive & a USB external about the same size.  All NTFS but the 20GB image drive in XP box.

I am able to use the GUI in Windows to reboot to Virtual Partition where autoexec.bat is scripted to image entire drive to spanned files on 2nd drive w/o prompts & then auto-reboot. I need a way to run from a batch file via sched task to reboot TO the Virtual Partition in DOS if possible w/o buying anything additional.  Work for County Government & $$$ not easy to eek out of them.

I have included by batch short of what the Virt Part creation puts in there like [ @echo off ] & altering the prompt to say "to reboot to windows, type ghreboot & press enter."  Pretty easy straight-forward stuff.

@ echo off
GHOST -CLONE,mode=Create,src=1,dst=D:\Image\testimg.img -Sure -Batch -Z9 -afile=ghosterr.txt

ghreboot

~Thanks

~ Livin' the Dream~!!

-Scott

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: How to boot to Ghost 2003/8.x Virtual Partition from Scheduled Task.
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 9:05pm

@
pushin1sAnd0s

NightOwl usually fields these questions and he should be along soon.

I don't know the answer regarding starting image creation from the Windows Ghost GUI. But I know you can create and restore Ghost 2003 images on a scheduled basis if you have an 8 MB FAT partition containing DOS files and ghost.exe. You can also copy this 8 MB partition and create a bootable file that can be run on a schedule. The 8 MB partition can be deleted once you have the bootable file.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 1:22pm

@
pushin1sAnd0s

Quote:
I am able to use the GUI in Windows to reboot to Virtual Partition where autoexec.bat is scripted to image entire drive to spanned files on 2nd drive w/o prompts & then auto-reboot. I need a way to run from a batch file via sched task to reboot TO the Virtual Partition if possible w/o buying anything additional.

I don't know of any way to *schedule* the Windows based Ghost GUI to run.  Using the Windows Ghost *Virtual Partition* requires setting up the task manually in the Ghost GUI first--and there is no utility or script to automate that process that I'm aware of (but, thinking about that statement--I seem to remember there was some sort of ability to have Windows record a series of steps and save them as a batch file that you then can run and it would re-create those recorded steps--I never used it--and I don't know if it's still an option--may have been back in the Win98se era!).

Quote:
w/o buying anything additional

Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.x are essentially DOS based--and can be set up to run from batch and script files--and you do not need anything additional to *buy*!  The *Virtual Partition* is really just a bootable primary DOS partition created in RAM on the fly by the Windows Ghost program.  And the Windows Ghost GUI passes the necessary Ghost DOS command line to carry out the procedure you set up in the Windows GUI onto that *virtual partition* once it's booted to DOS.

Without any further *purchases*, you can create a DOS primary partition on the system, make it bootable, and then create batch files to close down Windows, switch which primary partition is active and which is hidden, boot to the DOS partition with the needed Ghost script files, have Ghost carry out those scripts, and then have the Ghost autoexec.bat file re-set which partition is active and hidden and re-boot back to the Windows partition.

To *Schedule* everything, you would simply use Windows Scheduler to point to the batch file to start the process on whatever schedule you want.

Of course, the *devil is in the details*!  There are a lot of variables to keep track of--and several different *skill sets* that you have to get comfortable with--writing batch files in general, creating batch files that can change which partition is active and which is not, hiding and unhiding partitions for creating the active, boot partition, creating the Ghost script files to carry out your Ghost procedure, and using a Master Boot File Manager in a batch file for taking care of the details there!

And, if you plan on using the batch files on more than one machine, then, unless all machines are laid out identically, the batch file(s) have to be customized to each different layout.

Here's an example of how it could be done:  NightOwl's *automated* files

What's missing from the above reference--the batch file to start the process from Windows--I can help with that easily if you need help with that.  And, my above batch file keeps three backups, deletes the oldest when next run and adds the newest to the backup list--so it's a little more sophisticated than it would have to be--but, that can be easily adjusted as well.

Earlier in that reference, we discuss creating a bootable DOS partition to use for this technique.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

pushin1sAnd0s
N00b

Help, Get me outta' here!

Uniontown, PA

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:15am

Thx NightOwl, seems very do-able.  By the way, I didn't want to run the sched task from the Ghost GUI.  Your solution is the type of thing I was searching for.  Boot to virt part in DOS etc.

Brian mentions in his reply that once the bootable file is created that there is no longer need for the 8MB partition used to create the file.  If so, can 'partcopy.bin' reside on the boot/system drive?  [  C:\>  ]  it appears to be where this is going.  [ I hope ]  I can then point the scheduler to it & so-on as you describe.  I guess the missing "batch file to start the process from Windows" you mentioned & offered to help w/ comes into play here.

Many thanks for the info & the offer which I will probably need to take you up on.   Smiley

~ Livin' the Dream~!!

-Scott

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 1:09pm

@
pushin1sAnd0s

pushin1sAnd0s wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:15am:
once the bootable file is created that there is no longer need for the 8MB partition used to create the file.If so, can 'partcopy.bin' reside on the boot/system drive?[C:\>

Yes, it can reside in the C: drive. But this is just icing on the cake. It's easier to leave the small DOS partition in place unless you have a reason to remove it. I guess one advantage of partcopy.bin is you can just copy it to other computers and it will work. It is easy to edit the batch files in partcopy.bin for use in other computers. Alternately you can restore an image of the DOS partition to other computers and edit the batch files.

Are you familiar with TBOSDT? I didn't mention partcopy.bin in my first post.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 6:20pm

@
pushin1sAnd0s

I'm enthused again. I've summarized my notes and this works.

Download this ISO and make a CD.
http://www.allbootdisks.com/downloads/ISO/AllBootDisks_ISO_Image_Downloads25/Win...  

Create an 8 MB FAT16 partition (anywhere on HD0, after the Windows partition) using a BING CD (or your favourite partitioning app). I currently have the FAT16 partition at the 40 GB mark and it boots.
Boot from the Win98 CD and at the A: prompt type sys C: (and press Enter) (check to make sure C: is the FAT16 partition before doing this)

Boot to Windows. Show Hidden Files. Show extensions. Show Protected OS Files.
Copy these files from the CD (data section) to the FAT16 partition.

autoexec.bat
config.sys
himem.sys

Delete drvspace.bin from the FAT16 partition.

Download ctmouse.exe from http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/
Download the Zip format of v1.9.1
Unzip it and you only need one file. ctmouse.exe (dated 01 June 2003)
Copy ctmouse.exe to the FAT16 partition  (ctmouse isn't used in the following exercise but it is there in case you would like to do something manual rather than auto)

Copy ghost.exe (your Ghost 2003 file) to the FAT16 partition

Edit autoexec.bat to

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
echo.
ctmouse.exe
ghost.bat

Edit config.sys to

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
buffers=10

Edit msdos.sys to (you have to temporarily remove Read Only. Remember to tick Read Only after you have saved the file)

[Options]
BootWarn=0
BootWin=1
Logo=0

Download "MBR Utility" from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm
Copy mbr.exe from the DOS folder to the FAT16 partition
This file is for the reboot from DOS to Windows

Create ghost.bat (in the FAT16 partition) containing your command line and a mbr line to auto reboot to Windows when the image has been created. For example...

ghost -clone,mode=pcreate,src=1:1,dst=2:1\winxp.gho -z1 -fx -sure
mbr 0 0 /a /reboot

Copy mbr.exe from the WIN folder of MBR Utility to the C: drive and rename it to mbr32.exe
Create a batch file in the root of the C: drive which will enable the restart into DOS. Type the following line.

mbr32.exe 0 1 /a /reboot 
(this assumes you only have two partitions on the HD)(If the FAT16 partition was the third partition the line would be mbr32.exe 0 2 /a /reboot)
This batch file can be scheduled to run at say 3 AM.

I just made a partcopy.bin and it works fine.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 11:00pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Are you familiar with TBOSDT? I didn't mention partcopy.bin in my first post.

I think he read down to your post #48 in my above link NightOwl's *automated* files

Way back when, I never followed up and tried this TeraByte technique--but, I'm going to have to now..... Wink!

Do you know when you execute the *bootfile* command in Windows to load the *partcopy.bin* file, and you boot to the OS (that apparently does not need to use one of the 4 max partition table slots), can the files that are loaded in DOS--do they have the ability to *write* to the booted partition?

The reason I ask--you talk above about adding a DOS mouse driver (ctmouse.exe)--does it need a *mouse.ini* file associated with it?  One problem some folks have had in the past in creating a bootable optical disc with DOS files is that some versions of the DOS mouse driver require a *mouse.ini* file that the mouse driver creates on the fly as the system boots and loads the mouse driver.  The *virtual A:\ drive* created by an optical boot disc can not be written to, and so if there is not a *mouse.ini* file already included--you get a boot failure!

Also, if DOS Ghost experiences an error while booted from the optical disc's *virtual A:\ drive*--it attempts to write an *ghosterr.txt* file--again, if using Ghost booted from an optical disc, that fails and one doesn't see why--the system appears to *freeze*.

Just wondering if you have any insight into those issues?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 11:34pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Mar 16th, 2011 at 11:00pm:
you boot to the OS (that apparently does not need to use one of the 4 max partition table slots), can the files that are loaded in DOS--do they have the ability to *write* to the booted partition?

Yes. The virtual partition is writable. You can check the partcopy.bin later and the log file is present.

you talk above about adding a DOS mouse driver (ctmouse.exe)--does it need a *mouse.ini*

ctmouse doesn't use a mouse.ini and can be run from optical media without an issue.

-it attempts to write an *ghosterr.txt* file--

That would be written to partcopy.bin.

TBOSDT copies the DOS partition and creates a partcopy.bin. This needs to be run from HD0. When I first did this I ran it from HD1. Big mistake as my partitions disappeared. But running bootfile.exe from DOS brings them back.

Say you have partcopy.bin in C:\test. You have to copy the Windows bootfile.exe to that folder and also create a batch file containing...

C:\test\bootfile C:\test\partcopy.bin

So there are 3 files in the folder. Double clicking the batch file causes Windows to shutdown etc. If you have Win7 you have to right click the batch file and Run as Administrator.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 12:19am

This is another way of doing Method #1

Copy tbosdtw.exe from the win folder to the dos_tbos folder. Work from the dos_tbos folder.
double click tbosdtw.exe
type    list hd 0   (and press Enter)
write down the ID of your DOS partition. Let's say it is 25
exit

Create a text document containing (use your ID in place of 25)

copy partition 0 0x25 c:\partcopy.bin /b
mount 0: c:\partcopy.bin
copy file bootfile.exe 0:
set textline 0:\autoexec.bat "bootfile.exe" /b
exit

Save this as part.txt. Change the extension to run. Now you have part.run

Create a batch file called part.bat. It contains

tbosdtw.exe part.run

All these files are in the dos_tbos folder.

Double click part.bat and partcopy.bin will appear in C:\

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 4:55am

A refinement to part.run. Use this...

copy partition 0 0x25 c:\partcopy.bin /b
mount 0: c:\partcopy.bin
copy file bootfile.exe 0:
set textline 0:\autoexec.bat "bootfile.exe" /b
interactive
exit

interactive is like pause in DOS. Make sure you see

Copying BOOTFILE.EXE...Complete.
               1 file(s) copied.

Then type exit to close the Command window.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 3:34pm

You only have to make one partcopy.bin. To use it in another computer you simply need to edit ghost.bat, the file containing the Ghost command line.

Copy tbosdtw.exe and partcopy.bin to C:\ on the new computer.
Double click tbosdtw.exe and type these lines

mount 3: partcopy.bin   
copy 3:\ghost.bat C:\ /y

ghost.bat is now in your C: drive. Make the needed edits and type these lines to put the edited ghost.bat into partcopy.bin

copy ghost.bat 3:\ /y

To view ghost.bat inside partcopy.bin, type   (yes, you have to type "type")

type 3:\ghost.bat

Before using partcopy for the first time you should view autoexec.bat to make sure the first line is bootfile.exe

type 3:\autoexec.bat

After viewing the file, type

exit

The reason for having the first line of bootfile.exe in autoexec.bat is to change the MBR partition table back to your normal table. If bootfile.exe wasn't present, Ghost would run but then you wouldn't be able to boot into Windows because you would be in the virtual partition. To fix this, run the dos_tbos version of bootfile.exe from DOS or tbos. Simply type

bootfile

This has only happened to me once. The first time I used partcopy.bin. I used it from HD1 instead of HD0.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 8:53pm

@
NightOwl

Also, if DOS Ghost experiences an error while booted from the optical disc's *virtual A:\ drive*--it attempts to write an *ghosterr.txt* file-

I deliberately created an incorrect Ghost command line in ghost.bat. ghosterr.txt was created in partcopy.bin and contained...

Date   : Fri Mar 18 12:46:43 2011
Error Number: (662)
Version: 2003.793 (Dec 17 2003, Build=793)
Command line arguments: -clone,mode=pcreate,src=1:1,dst=4:2\winxp.gho -z1 -fx -sure
Active Switches :
       AutoName
       Sure
       Exit to DOS

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:01am

@
Brian

Quote:
TBOSDT copies the DOS partition and creates a partcopy.bin. This needs to be run from HD0. When I first did this I ran it from HD1. Big mistake as my partitions disappeared. But running bootfile.exe from DOS brings them back.

Made me laugh!  Yes, that would probably make most folk's day appear pretty *bad*!  How did you figure out to use *bootfile.exe* to recover?

Haven't heard from *pushin1sAnd0s* recently--hope he's been taking notes!--this is some good info.....

Was out of town last couple days--started working on this this evening.......haven't finished following the outline as yet--ran into a couple issues--maybe you have insight(s)....

Quote:
Create an 8 MB FAT16 partition (anywhere on HD0, after the Windows partition) using a BING CD (or your favourite partitioning app). I currently have the FAT16 partition at the 40 GB mark and it boots.
Boot from the Win98 CD and at the A: prompt type sys C: (and press Enter) (check to make sure C: is the FAT16 partition before doing this)

I had to make the new 8 MB partition *active* before the partition was available in DOS and I could do the *sys.com C:*.

Quote:
Boot to Windows. Show Hidden Files. Show extensions. Show Protected OS Files.
Copy these files from the CD (data section) to the FAT16 partition.

What am I missing here?  I'm using WinXP.  When I boot back to WinXP after using PartitionMagic to create the 8 MB FAT16 partition (I had to make the WinXP partition *active* again, so the 8 MB DOS partition was now not active (and hidden--using PartitionMagic)--in WinXP I don't have access to that hidden 8 MB DOS partition.  How are you getting access to copy files?

So, out of computing time for this evening--I might not be available 'til Tuesday.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:19am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:01am:
How did you figure out to use *bootfile.exe* to recover?

TeraByte Support told me. David F. usually replies promptly to my emails.

NightOwl wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:01am:
had to make the new 8 MB partition *active* before the partition was available in DOS and I could do the *sys.com C:*.

There must be something different with Partition Magic. I used a BING CD and didn't make the FAT partition active at any time. It was seen in Windows just like any other partition. It was a Type 6h FAT partition.

I'll try Partition Magic and let you know.

Edit....  PM wouldn't let me make a 8 MB FAT partition at the end of the 40 GB HD. But 16 MB was OK. I booted to WinXP and the partition was visible. Booted from a Win98 CD and did sys C: without a problem. Booted to WinXP and the partition was visible. We must have different hardware.

Edit again... In BING the FAT partition that PM said was at the end of the HD wasn't. It was immediately after the WinXP partition at about the 5 GB mark on the HD. BING called it a FAT12 partition, Type 1h.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 3:23am

@
NightOwl

I'm looking forward to you replicating my steps. It's nice when someone else confirms the steps are reproducible.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print