Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to boot to Ghost 2003/8.x Virtual Partition from Scheduled Task. (Read 23798 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: How to boot to Ghost 2003/8.x Virtual Partition from Scheduled Task.
Reply #15 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:22am

@
Brian

Quote:
I'm looking forward to you replicating my steps. It's nice when someone else confirms the steps are reproducible.

Okay, I'm back.  Been doing some testing to try to figure out what's what--this has not gone *smoothly*!

Quote:
Booted to WinXP and the partition was visible. We must have different hardware.

I'm suspicious that it's *different software* rather than hardware--but, haven't ruled it out as yet!

Quote:
Edit....  PM wouldn't let me make a 8 MB FAT partition at the end of the 40 GB HD. But 16 MB was OK.

Weird--my PM had no issue with the 8 MB FAT--what PM are you using--the boot to DOS version, or the Windows version--my version # is 8.02--and I used the DOS version to create the test 8 MB partition.

Quote:
Edit again... In BING the FAT partition that PM said was at the end of the HD wasn't. It was immediately after the WinXP partition at about the 5 GB mark on the HD. BING called it a FAT12 partition, Type 1h.

What?!  FAT12 is what's on floppy disks!  Something tells me BING and PM don't play nice with each other--don't the beginning and ending addresses have to be specific--how can there be a difference?

So, here's what I've found so far:

DOS PM's default behavior is to not allow more than one primary partition to be visible at one time.  If I selected the *Advanced* option to *unhide* the DOS partition while the WinXP partition was still visible and active, I got the following warning:

Quote:
Making this partition visible may cause drive letters to change.  Are you sure you want to unhide this partition?

After clicking *Yes*, then a second warning pops up:

Quote:
OS/2 and Windows 95/98 do not support multiple visible primary partitions.  If you unhide this partition, and then boot OS/2 or Windows 95/98/ME, data loss can occur.  Continue with unhide?

Once it was *unhidden*, now a reboot allowed it to be assigned a DOS drive letter *C:/* (it's the first DOS partition seen).  And, once booted to WinXP, it was now visible and in Disk Management, I could manually assign a drive letter to it so I could access it while in WinXP to do file copying, etc.

So, started making the partition changes you had outlined above, but I added to the TeraByte batch files for the *mbr* program a line to hide the OS partition that's not in use--similar to what the PartitionMagic (PM) program does when used to switch which partition is being booted.  The PM program *automatically* hides the previously *active* partition when you use the command to change the *active* partition to a different primary partition (I assume because of the above warnings regarding drive letter changes and possible data corruption).

I labeled my WinXP batch file *batch32*:

mbr32.exe 0 0 /h
mbr32.exe 0 1 /u
mbr32.exe 0 1 /a /reboot

Ran this batch file and booted to the DOS partition without any problem.

Then ran the batch file to get back to WinXP (I labeled it *batch16*):

mbr.exe 0 1 /h
mbr.exe 0 0 /u
mbr.exe 0 0 /a /reboot

Rebooted and about 2/3  of the WinXP boot processes occurred and then this:

Quote:
Autocheck program not found--skipping autocheck

And then immediately a BSOD!

Well, that wasn't good!  What I eventually discovered was the WinXP partition was still *hidden*!  (It's amazing that 2/3 of the WinXP boot process occurs without needing to actually access the partition data through *normal* channels before that error occurs!)  Once the partition was *unhidden* again, all was back to *normal*.

What I further discovered is that both the *mbr.exe* program for DOS and for Windows (mbr32.exe) do not have the ability to use the *unhide* command!  When run in DOS, or for the mbr32.exe program--in a DOS window (command box), you get the following response to *mbr.exe /u*:

Quote:
unknown option /u

So, why was I able to initially boot to the DOS partition successfully above?  Well, it was *unhidden* while I was working with it in WinXP--so it did not need *unhidding*--but, once it was hidden, then the TeraByte *mbr* program could not *unhide* it, and rebooting to the DOS partition failed!

(As a side note:  I'm now getting an error in my Windows PM interface--it fails to launch saying there is a *partition table error*!  I don't know if that occurred when I first created the 8 MB partition, or after subsequent manipulations--I have not yet attempted to troubleshoot that--but, I do not get that error when using the DOS version of PM.)

So, I will have to not *hide* anything--because if I do, I can't *unhide* it using TeraByte's *mbr* tool.  I may insert the *MasterBootWizard* tool instead.

Just about ready to try the next step using the TeraByte tool to create a boot file--but, out of computing time for now......more to come!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 2:15am

@
NightOwl

If I had known you were going to be adventurous with mbr.exe I would have given you a warning. Using multiple lines can give unpredictable results and using /h and /a together can give unpredictable results. I tried to use mbr.exe as a boot manager with hidden and visible partitions and I gave up. Keep it simple and it works. Anyway, neither WinXP or DOS need to be hidden from each other.

I used PM 8.05 from a boot CD. I'm just trying it again and still getting a 16 MB partition. It won't produce an 8 MB partition. At least the Status is None so there won't be any Active/Hidden issues. It is C: drive in PM as expected.
In WinXP now and the FAT partition is at the end of the HD (Disk Management). It has a drive letter in My Computer.
In BING now and it's a Type 14/Eh: FAT16 partition at the end of the 40 GB HD. Now that's better than last time.

Our PMs don't behave the same. I'm not getting any issues about Active partitions but then again my FAT partition Status is None. If I change the FAT Partition Status to Active in PM, WinXP becomes Hidden. If I then make WinXP Active, FAT becomes Hidden. I don't like PM. FAT partition can be changed back to a Status of None and everything is OK.

NightOwl wrote on Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:22am:
Well, that wasn't good!What I eventually discovered was the WinXP partition was still *hidden*!

That causes

Quote:
Autocheck program not found--skipping autocheck

as you know.

IP Logged

pushin1sAnd0s
N00b

Help, Get me outta' here!

Uniontown, PA

Reply #17 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:11pm

Had to abandon NightOwl's splendid idea due to my work wanting a faster solution even if more manual for the user.  [ Isn't that always the case Smiley ]  I've gone to Boot Disk solution which works fine on the XP box w/ a floppy drive, but I have a Win-7 Dell w/ 250GB internal HD & 250GB external HD.  I'm imaging the Internal drive to image files on the external [USB] drive.

[Need insight as to what Generic/SATA CD drivers I can use & what USB drivers Win-7 likes.  Won't use 'uhci.exe' or 'ohci.exe' which work in XP.]

In AUTOEXEC, (on the CD), I placed 'pause' statements after each command while testing & I'm getting no drive found, (referring to the CD), & "Invalid drive specification". Startup files are as follows & thanks for taking a look at this...

(Files in CD boot sector attached as screen-shot.  All other files on root of CD such as Ghost.exe & DOS utils.)

[CONFIG.SYS]
    DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICE=EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    FILES=30
    BUFFERS=20

DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM /P:1f0,14
    rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM /P:170,15
    rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM /P:170,10
    rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM /P:1e8,12
    rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM /P:1e8,11
    rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM /P:168,10
    rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:CDROM /P:168,9

DEVICEHIGH=MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CDROM

DEVICE=uhci.exe
    DEVICE=ohci.exe
    LASTDRIVE=Z

[AUTOEXEC.BAT]
    @echo off
    echo 1
    pause

SET TZ=GHO+05:00
    MOUSE.COM
    LH MSCDEX.exe /D:CDROM /L:G
    echo Loading...
    cls

echo 2
    pause

echo Sets the prompt & path then Loads image task with parameters & launches image software.
    echo _

PROMPT $t $d$_$p$g
    SET PATH=A:\;C:\Grin:\;E:\;F:\

echo 3
    pause

echo Loading...
    G:\GHOST.exe -CLONE,mode=Create,src=1,dst=2 -Sure -Batch -z3
    echo Restart the computer. (Be sure to allow the restart process to begin
    echo before removing the CD from the CD Drive.)
    echo _
    pause

REM shutdown /r /f /t 7

REM GHREBOOT is not in the boot sector of this disk. Path statement must ensure accessibility to file wherever placed.  This is to restart the computer post backup!
    ghreboot.exe

CDBootFiles.jpg (146 KB | 566 )
CDBootFiles.jpg

~ Livin' the Dream~!!

-Scott

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 1:46am

@
pushin1sAnd0s

There you are--good to see you back!

You may have noticed Brian and I have been wondering around discussing various topics related to your original post--but wandering away slightly as well.....Brain's use of TeraBytes bootfile may be the *better* solution in the end--but, I've not reached that point yet.

Quote:
REM GHREBOOT is not in the boot sector of this disk. Path statement must ensure accessibility to file wherever placed.  This is to restart the computer post backup!
ghreboot.exe

This caught my eye--did a search on the *ghreboot* and found this:  http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/987965-sata-cd-usb-drivers-win.html

So, that looks similar to your post here! Is it also yours?  (amazing what Google finds these days!)  Just mentioning it because I was so appalled by the response by *Evandel*--a *Moderator with 43,308 posts.*:

Quote:
I doubt very much that you will find drivers for DOS. The whole issue of USB drivers for DOS has been examined ad nauseam and no satisfactory, total solution was ever found before DOS went out of Windows in 2000.

Do *total solutions* exist for anything PC?!  But there are often *good workarounds* if you look hard enough!  Folks who haven't really looked into a particular matter and don't have some working knowledge of the issue(s), should simply say they don't know much about it--rather than making blanket statements such as this!

See:  Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS...

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

The reason I searched on *ghreboot* was because of your *REM* statement:

Quote:
This is to restart the computer post backup!

*ghreboot*, to my knowledge, is used if you have booted your Windows system to the Ghost *virtual partition* and have become stuck there because the system will not re-boot from the *virtual partition* back to the origianl Windows Partition.  It might work *to restart the computer post backup*--but that was not its original primary function--which is why I Googled it to see if there was more info out there that I was not aware of.

There are DOS drivers for SATA Optical drives--see here:

GCDROM for DOS command line syntax

SATA optical drive & Ghost 2002 report

How to add SATA DOS optical drive drivers to Boot Disc

Download *gcdrom.sys* here--v2.3 and v2.4 available!

There has been a recent change (as of around 2009) in the USB controllers by Intel that has made most (all?) DOS USB drivers obsolete ( http://bretjohnson.us/ ).  But, I was daydreaming about how to work around that change this afternoon, and I might have an idea--but, not the time to test it out until tomorrow at the soonest.

How old is the Dell with Win 7 on it?  What chipset does it use?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

pushin1sAnd0s
N00b

Uniontown, PA

Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:53am

NightOwl,
  As before, good to hear back from you.  Yes that was my post on Tech Guy.  I too was appalled by the answer I got.

NightOwl wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 1:46am:
Quote:
I doubt very much that you will find drivers for DOS. The whole issue of USB drivers for DOS has been examined ad nauseam and no satisfactory, total solution was ever found before DOS went out of Windows in 2000.

Virtually anything is possible, as you say, if you look hard enough for the answer.  Agreed, folks shouldn't comment on things for which they have little or no reference.

I have been seeing the posts between you & Brian on my original question.  Wish I didn't have to give that up but I have 2 different PCs, running 2 totally different OSs, & they, (county government I work for), aren't willing to wait for the bugs to be worked out.  [ Everyone wants it NOW! these daze ~  Angry ]  I greatly appreciate the effort from the two of you though.

So I have trained the users to pop the disk out in the AM & hit a key on a pause statement restarting Windows then popping the disk back in so that night's scheduled task will restart the machine again & create that day's image.

But hey, I appreciate you getting back to me on the Win-7 issues I'm having w/ this.  Some info below...

- Win-7 box is less than 2 months old.  [from purchase date.]  While working on the 1st backup project, (XP-Box), I was told by the user that this was a Dell.  After checking I found out this was built by a local PC shop.
   Taken from PCs 'System Information'...
     * Manufacturer - Intel
     * Model - DH55TC
     * Processor - 3.2 GHz
     * Memory - 4GB

- Checking the DOS USB & SATA CD drivers.  Will get back as to outcome.

- REM statement on *ghreboot.exe* is 1st for the comment/description.  The actual reference to calling the file is not commented out.  ALSO, I have 'shutdown.exe' REM'ed out.  This is to give me ability to use either method on the fly.  *ghreboot.exe* seems to work more smoothly for me w/ Ghost.  It is intended for reboot from virtual partition as you stated but also works if copied to bootable floppy/CD to restart post-imaging.  This is working on the solution I have in place for my XP-Pro box.

Again, I can't state enough how appreciative I am for your's & Brian's assistance.  This site by FAR has given me more pertinent information than all others I've taken this issue & run up the flag-pole.

~Thanks again - Will let you know how the drivers work out.

-Scott

~ Livin' the Dream~!!

-Scott

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 5:48pm

@
pushin1sAnd0s

Quote:
Wish I didn't have to give that up but I have 2 different PCs, running 2 totally different OS

Quote:
So I have trained the users to pop the disk out in the AM & hit a key on a pause statement restarting Windows then popping the disk back in so that night's scheduled task will restart the machine again & create that day's image.

I thought you were trying to avoid asking the users to do the backup but if they can do it, fine.

Having two different computers with two different OS is no problem for partcopy.bin. It runs independent of the OS. You could make partcopy.bin on your home computer (it only needs to be done once) and later edit the command line (using PowerISO) to suit each work computer. You mentioned time issues which I can't understand as the whole project only takes minutes to complete. Except if you get adventurous.

IP Logged

pushin1sAnd0s
N00b

Uniontown, PA

Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:35am

Brian,
  Thx for getting back.  YES! I was feverishly trying to avoid user interaction.  However I'm having issue w/ External USB-HD & Internal SATA CD drivers in DOS & my employer doesn't want to wait much longer.

I've been asked to provide a quick solution for now then I fully intend to continue pursuing the fully automated suggestions you & NightOwl have passed along.

NightOwl posted the links to the Panasonic jp version drivers for SATA & USB-HDs.  Building that now actually.  I'll get back to you guys on the success of the virtual partition solution though once I can get back to it.

-Thx!

~ Livin' the Dream~!!

-Scott

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print