Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restoration to a new hard drive (Read 6079 times)
vince
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Restoration to a new hard drive
Mar 15th, 2011 at 6:19pm

I replaced the hard drive in my laptop, partitioned it like the old one, and restored the image of the C: drive, Vista home premium, using a Ghost image.

On the old drive, all the user folders, Documents, Pictures, etc, were in the second partition, the E: partition.

When I partitioned the new drive, I re-created all those folders. But after restoring the C: image, Windows is not recognizing those user folders ie if I click on Documents from the Start Menu, nothing happens.

If I go to Start and right click on Documents or any other user folder and select Properties, there is no Location tab. It seems like since Windows did not move the user folder to that location and mark that location as a user folder, that it is not recognizing it.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Restoration to a new hard drive
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 8:42pm

Vince,

I'm not familiar with Vista or how you moved the folders from the C: drive to the E: drive. Can you recreate the junction points?

IP Logged

vince
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 7:58am

I can certainly look into how to do that. Will creating a junction point be all that is necessary to restore the functionality of, for example, Documents as it originally was designed?

I moved these folders when I set up the computer by right clicking on the folder, going to Properties, and using the Move button. You just specify the new location.

Thanks

IP Logged

vince
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 11:26am

OK I fixed it. I had made an error when I created the folder structure on the second partition.
Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:20pm

@
vince

I'm glad you fixed it because I played with junction points in Win7 last night and didn't have much success.

Can you describe what was wrong/correct about your folder structure on the E: drive. I'd like to try that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print