Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
File/folder restore after OS change (Read 10741 times)
Duane
N00b

I Love Radified!

Rogers, AR

File/folder restore after OS change
Mar 20th, 2011 at 5:51pm

Before installing Windows 7 on my laptop (previously Vista), I did a file & folder backup using Ghost 15. After the installation, I installed Ghost 15 again. When I browse the backup disk using Windows, I can see the folder where my previous backups were stored (Norton Backups HP), and it contains several backups, including the one today. But in Ghost, when I try to do a file restore, it shows an empty window with no backups showing.

I've had Ghost installed on my computers for years, but I've never really had to use it for a recovery, so I'm new at this.  I'm sure I don't have the new Ghost installation configured correctly to find the backups, but I can't figure it out.  Any help?

Duane

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: File/folder restore after OS change
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 6:47pm

@
Duane

Most people I know avoid Ghost Files and Folders Backup like the plague. Does this help?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-Image-Backup-vs-File-...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:21am

@
Brian

Quote:
Most people I know avoid Ghost Files and Folders Backup like the plague.

I know you don't like the Files and Folders Backup function of Ghost vxx.  Just like I don't like just the OS partition image backups or single partition backups since Ghost v2003--I like *whole drive* backups!

Quote:
I'm sure I don't have the new Ghost installation configured correctly to find the backups, but I can't figure it out.

But, are the backups still there?  Sure, they probably are not listed in the Ghost History because Ghost has been newly installed--but, can the backups be found using a *manual browse* to locate the backups in the saved location?

Quote:
But in Ghost, when I try to do a file restore, it shows an empty window with no backups showing

I understand the point being made by the poster in your link--but, regardless, are the Files and Folder backups still available to do a *manual* restore--or are they not available at all?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:06am

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:21am:
are the Files and Folder backups still available to do a *manual* restore--or are they not available at all? 

Honestly I have no idea. I wouldn't know how to start a Files and Folders backup.

@
Duane

Sorry to be so unhelpful but I suggest you post in the Other Norton Forum.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/bd-p/other

There are members and especially Symantec staff who use Files and Folders backup.

IP Logged

Duane
N00b

I Love Radified!

Rogers, AR

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 7:27am

I didn't even know you could do a partial restore from the drive backup, so that first response was very helpful. I did a drive restore, but selected just the Users folder to recover all the documents and settings.  Thanks.

Duane

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:41pm

@
Duane

That is great news. I'm glad I could help even if it was fortuitous.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 11:34pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Honestly I have no idea. I wouldn't know how to start a Files and Folders backup.

Sorry to be so unhelpful

Hope my comments and questions didn't leave the wrong impression--didn't mean to imply that you were not being helpful!

I was just probing to see if you knew anything at all about how the *Files and Folders* backup worked in Ghost 15 (and, I guess v12 and v14 too?).

I looked at the Ghost 14 User Guide--and it was pretty vague:

Quote:
When you define and run a file and folder backup, copies are made of each of the
files and folders that you have chosen to back up. They are converted into a
compressed format
, and then stored in a sub-folder at the location you specify

And:

Quote:
If you defined a file and folder backup and need to recover files, you can recover
them from a recent file and folder backup.

Norton Ghost includes a search tool to help you locate the files that you want to
recover.
To recover files and folders by using file and folder backup data
1 On the Home or Tasks page, click Recover My Files.
2 In the left pane of the Recover My Files window, select File and Folder as the
search method.

Doesn't sound like you get to use a tool like Windows Explorer, Ghost Explorer (Ghost 2003 and v8.xx), or the Ghost 14, 15 *Recovery Point Browser* to see a list of folders and files, and select by browsing and clicking on what's there.

Looks like it's much easier to use the *Recovery Point Browser* to access a *Recovery Point* (partition backup) and select files or folders as needed as pointed out in your link.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 2:25am

@
NightOwl

No wrong impression at all. I'm just criticizing myself for not knowing the answer.

NightOwl wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 11:34pm:
Doesn't sound like you get to use a tool like Windows Explorer, Ghost Explorer (Ghost 2003 and v8.xx), or the Ghost 14, 15 *Recovery Point Browser* to see a list of folders and files, and select by browsing and clicking on what's there

It has been several years since I've had to extract a file from an image. Just had no need to do it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print