Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ntldr is missing (Read 42240 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ntldr is missing
Reply #30 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 2:57pm

Ah, I am certainly confused. I thought you had WinXP on both HDs and that's why I was I asked you to look for boot.ini.

So there is only one WinXP?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 3:19pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 2:57pm:
Ah, I am certainly confused. I thought you had WinXP on both HDs and that's why I was I asked you to look for boot.ini.

So there is only one WinXP?

Well, I remember last time we worked together it was something much worse and it took a while to fix. I hope this is easier. Yes, only 1 winxp. And that seems to work perfectly. Something happens when the second HD is connected. When both hard drives are connected the NTLDR is missing message comes up. That was how the problem started. With a normal bootup with everything connected.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #32 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 3:40pm

Try this. Connect the WinXP HD to SATA port 0. It may be a different port from the one it currently works on. Make sure it boots. If so, connect the backup HD to any other SATA port. See if that works.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 6:29pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 3:40pm:
Try this. Connect the WinXP HD to SATA port 0. It may be a different port from the one it currently works on. Make sure it boots. If so, connect the backup HD to any other SATA port. See if that works.

There is only SATA 1,2,3, and 4. Also listed as (A0), (A1), (B0), (B1). Um I swapped the cables and got the 'NTLDR is missing message again. Originally the WinxP HD was connected to SATA 1. If that alone is connected the pc boots properly. But when the backup HD is connected to SATA 2 then the 'NTLDR is missing' error appears.
Sorry for typos I'm connecting from iPhone.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #34 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 6:39pm

Your SATA port 1 must be equivalent to my SATA port 0.

When you connect your second HD, the BIOS tries to boot the second HD instead of the first HD. NightOwl understands your BIOS but he is out of town frequently these days.

What happens if you connect the second HD to ports 3 or 4? Same error?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:07pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 6:39pm:
Your SATA port 1 must be equivalent to my SATA port 0.

When you connect your second HD, the BIOS tries to boot the second HD instead of the first HD. NightOwl understands your BIOS but he is out of town frequently these days.

What happens if you connect the second HD to ports 3 or 4? Same error? 

No, it booted properly with the 2nd HD in SATA 3 or 4 (I can't differentiate except at boot time. Now it wants to use the 2nd HD as the 'new backup destination' I don't understand enough to say yes or no. But it boots with both HDs recognized. I wonder it would boot with HD 2 back in SATA 2 now? Then there would be nO reason to change the backup destination.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:09pm

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? I recall the HDs were reversed in the last thread.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #37 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:16pm

I used SATA 2 for HD2 and it booted properly. Not so nasty afterall. Needed to reset itself.

Have you been up all night? If so, take it from me, get some sleep and then some strong coffee.

Last minute checks? Or is everything alright now?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #38 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:31pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:09pm:
Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? I recall the HDs were reversed in the last thread.

I found disk management but I dont remember how to take and post a screenshot. Sorry.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:49pm

It was certainly weird. I'm glad it is fixed.

In Disk Management, is the WinXP HD in the Disk 0 position?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #40 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:00pm

No, backup HD is in Disk 0.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:02pm

I'm lost. It was like that before. Leave it as everything is working.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #42 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:10pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:02pm:
I'm lost. It was like that before. Leave it as everything is working.

Thank you Brian. I appreciate all the effort and glad we are successful. Should we bring in Nightowl?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:22pm

He's most welcome to join in.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #44 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 11:53pm

@
leftyx

Sorry I was not available to join in earlier on this thread.

Best I can tell after *speed reading*--it sounds like something went haywire with the BIOS and its setting for which HDD was the boot HDD.

What's weird is that I've been having some issues with my system maintaining the correct boot HDD setting this last week or so as I have tested booting from USB HDDs.  I have to change a setting in the BIOS in order for the BIOS to *see* a bootable USB HDD as being available for booting.  If I disable that setting, then the system looses track of which internal HDD was previously the boot HDD and I have to manually go back into the BIOS and re-set the boot order.  It was really unnerving the first time it happened--the system would just freeze early on in the boot process!

You said you had been installing CD-authoring software (Nero?), and having some problems with that.  Did you play around with boot devices at all while doing that?  In the past, I've had Nero software change the Windows logon sequence--requiring a password where it had not before!  Some time later (a year?), I either uninstalled Nero (or perhaps installed something else--can't remember now!), and all of a sudden the behavior reverted back to the previous behavior--still scratching my head on that one!

Anyway, if it happens again--re-boot and enter the BIOS and check to see what the current default setting for the boot HDD is (right now, write down the current boot HDD setting so you have it available if a next time ever occurs!).  See if it has changed!  If so, change it back to what it should be--make sure you *save* the change.  If not, then select the other HDD and save the change.  Then immediately re-enter the BIOS and set it back to what it should be and re-save the change (you do know that you have to *save* the changes if you want them to be remembered the next time you boot--right  Wink !)  The point being, you want to make sure the correct setting is saved to the CMOS so it's remembered correctly.  Now see if it boots properly.

Let us know what you find out if this happens again--but, looks like you have it sorted for now......

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print