Send Topic Print
Ntldr is missing (Read 42239 times)
leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ntldr is missing
Apr 2nd, 2011 at 3:53pm

Hey folks,
Getting a weird message and my pc won't boot to windows. The message is NTLDR is missing. Anybody? I have weekly data drive backups and a monthly c:\ partition backups. But I can't get to windows. TIA. Jordan

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ntldr is missing
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:28pm

Jordan,

Have you made any changes to your computer lately? Edits in the BIOS, opened the case and adjusted HDs or cables? Any boot manager changes that could try to boot a data partition? Recent restores that could have gone to the wrong partition?

Or did the NTLDR message just appear spontaneously?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 5:08pm

Brian wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:28pm:
Jordan,

Have you made any changes to your computer lately? Edits in the BIOS, opened the case and adjusted HDs or cables? Any boot manager changes that could try to boot a data partition? Recent restores that could have gone to the M6 170g 2% milkfat cottage cheese 90g blueberries 20g almonds partition?

Today I used Nero for the first time on some mini-DVD disks and had major problems with my computer. I had freezes and had to reboot the machine several times. I can't say exactly what created the problem but I didn't physically change any cables or open the case. Sorry I can't answer better but this gives a picture of what went on prior to this problem.

Or did the NTLDR message just appear spontaneously?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 5:35pm

Jordan,

I've forgotten about your setup. Are you multi-booting WinXP? What is your partition layout? When was the last C: drive image taken?

Any floppies or USB flash drives attached to the computer?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 5:55pm

Brian wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 5:35pm:
Jordan,

I've forgotten about your setup. Are you multi-booting WinXP? What is your partition layout? When was the last C: drive image taken?

Any floppies or USB flash drives attached to the computer?

Hello Brian,
The machine runs XP. The last c:\ drive back up should be from April 1st. Is ther e some way to get the machine back, or is it something that has to be changed in how it is now?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 6:12pm

Jordan,

I don't understand why you are getting that message. It usually occurs when you try to boot a non-bootable partition. OK, what I'd do is restore the April 1st image.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 7:05pm

Brian wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 6:12pm:
Jordan,

I don't understand why you are getting that message. It usually occurs when you try to boot a non-bootable partition. OK, what I'd do is restore the April 1st image. 

OK I restored the c:\partition but nothing changed. I believe the drives information is corrupted in the bios. Should we check that next? Btw what time is it in Australia?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 7:12pm

It's 1010 here. Daylight Saving Time finished last night.

Can you disconnect all HDs except HD0. Reseat the data cable for HD0 at both ends. Make sure you don't have a floppy in the drive or any USB devices attached to the computer.

How many partitions are on HD0?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 7:50pm

Brian wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 7:12pm:
It's 1010 here. Daylight Saving Time finished last night.

Can you disconnect all HDs except HD0. Reseat the data cable for HD0 at both ends. Make sure you don't have a floppy in the drive or any USB devices attached to the computer.

How many partitions are on HD0?

Believe SATA 1 (A0) has 3 Partitions c, d,and e. I disconnected SATA 2 (A1) and rebooted after resetting the (A0) cables with no luck. I reconnected SATA 2 (A1) and it booted to windows. this is very confusing. I dont know what I should do next. I now have SATA 1 (A0) disconnected.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 8:12pm

What would happen if I switched the SATA 1 and SATA 2 connections? Would it then recogniize SATA 2 as the disk to boot from?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 8:20pm

That's what it was. I went into the bios and swapped the boot drives and everything works now. Can you explain that?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:08pm

IRS only working one time, then of goes back to NTLDR not found. I don't know ants wrong. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:37pm

Do you have WinXP on each HD? Why do you think your boot configuration has changed since a few days ago? It sounds like the wrong HD is attempting to boot.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:53pm

Brian wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:37pm:
Do you have WinXP on each HD? Why do you think your boot configuration has changed since a few days ago? It sounds like the wrong HD is attempting to boot. 

That's right  but even if I change the hard dri e to boot from of still reverts to the wrong hard dri ve when I reboot.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 10:08pm

If you have HD0 attached as the only HD, can you make it boot every time? If not, that's what you need at this stage. Only work with one HD until booting is correct.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print