Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VHS tape transfer to computer file (Read 13813 times)
Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

VHS tape transfer to computer file
May 7th, 2011 at 10:12pm

Does anyone have experience with transfering old VHS cassettes to computer files?  I'm trying to move my junk, including hundreds of VHS cassettes, to a smaller storage space, and would like to do this in order to get rid of them all together.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: VHS tape transfer to computer file
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2011 at 11:17pm

@
Dirk B

By far the easiest way is to use a DVD hard drive recorder. Copy the tape direct to a DVD or copy to the DVD recorder HD and make a DVD later. You can convert the DVDs to ISOs and store them on a HD.

We also looked at video capture cards and they were a disaster.

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2011 at 12:21am

a DVD Hard Drive recorder???  I'm not familiar with such a device.  I've looked at software solutions, but too many bad reviews @ Amazon.com.  I'm now looking at the Canopus ADVC100 device.  Is this what you mean by a 'video capture card?  I like that it will convert to digital file direct to HDD.  Not sure I want hundreds of dvd's.  I could just by a 3TB drive at Costco, and keep the files there.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2011 at 12:48am

Dirk B wrote on May 9th, 2011 at 12:21am:
a DVD Hard Drive recorder???

My latest is....

http://www.panasonic.com.au/Products/DVD+and+Blu-ray/DVD+-+Players+and+Recorders...

You don't need to spend this much if you just want to transfer VHS tapes to a HD. I've heard of some that will transfer from tape to a USB HD. There is no internal HD in the device.

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2011 at 8:56am

Hmmmm.... so you hook your VCR up to this machine and it converts it to a digital format onto it's internal hard drive, then you can burn a DVD, is that how it works?  It would seem to have a Canopus type device built in to do the conversion?  What sort of file type is generated?  How much disk space per hour is used?  How much time can you burn to a DVD?  Do you know of a website that addresses these types of questions?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2011 at 4:29pm

Dirk B wrote on May 9th, 2011 at 8:56am:
so you hook your VCR up to this machine and it converts it to a digital format onto it's internal hard drive, then you can burn a DVD, is that how it works? 

Yes.

What sort of file type is generated?

No idea. There is no way of knowing.

How much disk space per hour is used?

2 GB per hour of video.

How much time can you burn to a DVD?

About 10 minutes. You can then convert the DVD to an ISO and store the ISO on a HD. It sounds time consuming but you are only present at the recorder for a few minutes each tape. We had no success with video capture cards. Tried a few and gave up.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2011 at 9:16am

@
Dirk B

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with transfering old VHS cassettes to computer files?

Can't say I have personal experience--but I've seen this product in the US market:  http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/

You could Google it and see what type of reviews it has.  Seems like it would meet your needs--if it works as advertised.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print