Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem with marvell sata controller.... (Read 12237 times)
bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

problem with marvell sata controller....
May 18th, 2011 at 1:19pm

on an asus rampage III motherboard and the marvell 9128 sata controller active, i have issues booting to bootbable ghost cd (currently using 11.0.1).  turn off the marvell controller in bios, and no problem.
this would be fine, exccept i need the marvell controller to handle the dvd rw i have in the system, as the onboard intel controller is filled with 6 drives, one being the system drive and the other 5 in a raid5 configuration.
looking for a solution to make bootbale cd work with marvell 9128 controller.  is anybody else experiencing issues with systems using this controller?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: problem with marvell sata controller....
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2011 at 9:23am

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 15, 14, 12, 10, 9, + Norton Save + Restore (NS+R) by NightOwl.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2011 at 9:29am

@
bdub

Ghost 11.xxx questions technically belong in this forum.

Quote:
i have issues booting to bootbable ghost cd

More precisely--what exact issues?

Quote:
turn off the marvell controller in bios, and no problem

So, there must be an additional optical device on the system to boot from the ghost cd--what is the total setup on the system--what other drives (and types--i.e. SATA and PATA)?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2011 at 4:24pm

thanks for moving this to the correct forum.

i have found out that using a usb drive formatted by the ghost usb boot maker works fine with the marvell controller on, but i still want to get the bootable cd working...

1. ghost boot disk hangs indefinately.  i am using the boot cd i made with the procedure i perfected with the help of this very forum...http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257801693/0 ; ...  it seems to hang at the point of loading the scsi drivers that are standard with ghost, but i may have that slightly off...

2. when i put the dvdrw on the intel controller, i still have that hang when booting to the standard ghost boot disk made with ghost server, including network drivers... AND the marvel controller is on, turn it off, and it goes right in.  i believe the same thing occurs when i use the personalized boot disk i link to in answer 1.

thanks for getting back to me, i will have more info tomorrow, as i am hitting quitting time just now.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2011 at 9:48am

@
bdub

Quote:
it seems to hang at the point of loading the scsi drivers that are standard with ghost, but i may have that slightly off...

Still need to be more *exact*!  You can press F8 right when your system says it's loading DOS--got to get the timing right.  You then get the option to load each command line of the *config.sys* and the *autoexec.bat* files one by one.  You then get to see which line causes the hang and any error messages that might be listed (however, usually if the system hangs, no error messages are shown).

Once you know which line (i.e. driver) is causing the problem, you can re-boot and say *No* to that line while using the F8 line by line loading to see if that solves the problem.  If it does, then you can start looking at what options may be available to alter how that driver is loaded (sometimes loading it sooner or later in *config.sys* or *autoexec.bat* can solve the issue, or loading it *high* or *low* in memory, or if loading in *config.sys*--sometimes there's the option of loading it in *autoexec.bat*--but that's not always an option)--or possibly using an alternate DOS driver can solve compatibility issues.  Or, if that driver is not necessary, just remove it from the boot files!

Also, look at the BIOS options.  What different *modes* are available for the Marvell controller.  Changing the *mode* may change the driver that the BIOS is loading so things are more compatible.  Of course, that may create problems with what you want hooked up to that controller--but, you need to know if that's where the problem lies.

Quote:
loading the scsi drivers that are standard with ghost

To my knowledge, I don't have any *scsi* devices that require DOS drivers--what system(s) are you using that have that setup?  And what *scsi drivers* are *standard* with ghost--knowing what drivers are being loaded gives a starting point for *knowing* where the problem may be.

IP Logged

bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2011 at 11:02am

gotcha...

ok, so when loading the aforementioned bootable cd that i made using your help with that other thread... and being the marvel controller, which has only the bd burner on it, and is in IDE mode as opposed to ahci.
here is how it plays out line by line...(answering "Y" at each line)

DEVICE = HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE = OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
DEVICE = GCDROM.SYS /D: CDROM000 /C0
DEVICE = GCDROM.SYS /D: CDROM001 /C1
DEVICE = GCDROM.SYS /D: CDROM002 /C2
DEVICE = GCDROM.SYS /D: CDROM003 /C3
DEVICE = BTDOSM.SYS
DEVICE = FLASHPT.SYS
DEVICE = BTCDROM.SYS /D:CD2
DEVICE = ASPI2DOS.SYS ---> these are the scsi drivers i was mentioning
DEVICE = ASPI8DOS.SYS ---> all fail initialization which is fine
DEVICE = ASPI4DOS.SYS
DEVICE = ASPI8U2.SYS
DEVICE = INICD.SYS /D:CD3 ---> this says initialization failed
DEVICE = RAMDRIVE.SYS 4096 /E
LASTDRIVE = Z
PROCESS AUTOEXEC.BAT
ECHO OFF
SET TZ = GHO+5:00
MOUSE.COM
CLS
LH \mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /D:CDROM000 /D: CDROM001 /d:CDROM002 /l:x /m:16 /v

then it says:
device driver not found : 'MSCD001'.
device driver not found : 'CDROM001'.
device driver not found : 'CDROM002'.
***and this is where it hangs to where i have to reboot with the reset button****

there is an oddity in that i have two machines with these mobo's in them... one has a bd burner which goes like above, but then the other one has a dvd burner in it and if i don't say "N" to the ASPI4DOS.SYS line and the ASPI8U2.SYS line, then the machine hangs at either one, but the previous two lines are fine saying "Y" to.

also, if i move the dvd burner on the second machine over to the intel on-board controller, as long as i say no to loading those two exact aspi.sys's, it'll work fine.  this is with the intel controller in raid mode (i can't see the dvd for imaging, but at least i can make an image on a hdd).  same result with IDE mode.  in both cases, if i turn off the marvel controller, ghost loads like it should.

there must be some connection between the scsi (ASPI.sys's, i assume they are for scsi controllers), and the marvel controller being on...  could i take them out of the code?  even if i did, would that fix the issue?

i am wondering if a newer edition of ghost would solve these issues more readily?

thanks for your help!  i will be glad to provide any more info.

edit*
here's what's in my autoexec file...

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+05:00
MOUSE.COM
CLS
LH \mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /D:CDROM000 /D:CDROM001 /D:CDROM002  /l:x /m:16 /v
echo Loading...
call FINDRAMD.BAT z y x w v u t s r q p o n m l k j i h g f e d c
if "%ram%" == "" echo RAM drive not found!
if "%ram%" == "" goto EOF
mkdir %ram%:\GHOST
if exist \ghost\wattcp.cfg copy \ghost\wattcp.cfg %ram%:\ghost
joinxe -p -f %ram%:\GHOST\GHOST.EXE \GHOST\1.exe \GHOST\2.exe
%ram%:
CD \GHOST
GHOST.EXE -split=3800
:EOF

***EDIT 2****
could this be a multiple controller issue???  there is a problem giving out drive letters because there are ports from two different sata controllers in the system?  i can turn off the marvell and everything works fine.  i wish i could turn off the intel controller, but no such setting in bios!

***Edit 3***  i went ahead and deleted loading the ASPI drivers from the .ima file.  did this by deleting the load lines from config.sys...  still same results, it hangs after the mscdex.exe loads, with the same messages on the screen.  but at least this gets me through to the ghost program without needing safe mode loading to stop loading of ASPI4DOS.SYS and ASPI8U2.SYS in the system with the dvd rom on the intel controller AND having the marvell controller turned on.

i hope my edits don't confuse the situation.

IP Logged

bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2011 at 4:31pm

NightOwl wrote on May 19th, 2011 at 9:29am:
@
Quote:
turn off the marvell controller in bios, and no problem

So, there must be an additional optical device on the system to boot from the ghost cd--what is the total setup on the system--what other drives (and types--i.e. SATA and PATA)?

total setup as we want to be able to use is 6 hdd's, all on the intel controller, with 1 being the boot, and 5 others in a raid5.  then we would like a bd burner (or dvd rw) on the marvell controller.  both controllers are sata... the marvell is sata III ready.  no pata ide involved anymore.

i guess we could work around this by putting the boot hdd on the marvell controller and putting the bd burner on the intel controller now that we can get the ghost disk to boot without those aspi drivers on it.  it'll be a fix for now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print