Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 15 install on Windows 7 64 bit (Read 12682 times)
BJB
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ghost 15 install on Windows 7 64 bit
Jun 18th, 2011 at 7:07am

I am a long-time Ghost user and am now moving from Ghost 14 on Vista 64 to Ghost 15 on Windows 7 64 bit.

First, is there any word or thoughts on a new version of Ghost?  I know Symantec re-wrote their anti-virus software a few years ago and wonder if Ghost was in for a re-make.

The second question regards installation. There were many challenges getting Ghost 14 to work on vista....optical drives disappearing, liveupdate not installing patches correctly, etc. etc...

Any similar experiences on Windows 7 64bit?  My search on the forum turned up restore questions on 7 but not install problems/solutions.

Just wanted to check.  From experience, it seems each new version of Ghost and an OS come with their own set of challenges!   Smiley

Thanks,
BJB

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 15 install on Windows 7 64 bit
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 6:07pm

@
BJB

Symantec hasn't announced any news about Ghost 16 but it can't be far away as Ghost's big brother, Symantec System Recovery 2011, has been released.

Several people have reported success with Ghost 14 and Win7 although I'm not sure if they were using 64-bit.

The Ghost recovery CD is 32-bit so if it is missing any drivers for your hardware you will need to find 32-bit drivers.

IP Logged

BJB
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 9:02pm

Brian wrote on Jun 18th, 2011 at 6:07pm:
@
BJB

Several people have reported success with Ghost 14 and Win7 although I'm not sure if they were using 64-bit.

Brian,
I am moving to Ghost 15 and Windows 7 64 bit.  Is this a little more positive?  I was using the old version with Vista....
BJB

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 12:59am

@
BJB

Ghost 15 with Win7 64-bit should be fine. I doubt there will be any significant changes in Ghost 16, whenever it is released.

A few things that aren't in the manual. You can make a bootable Ghost USB flash drive from the CD. The CD is VistaPE 32-bit based and requires 32-bit drivers. You may not need extra drivers anyway. Most people don't. If you can see your HDs and network from the Ghost CD you don't need extra drivers.

IP Logged

BJB
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 10:58am

Great, thanks!
I have already booted with the Ghost 15 CD and I can see and backup my drives with the cold-boot options so I guess I am good for drivers.

Thanks for the USB tip!
BJB

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 4:18pm

USB. It boots faster than a CD. This works for Ghost 15 too.

http://krisrowland.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/boot-norton-ghost-14-srd-from-a-usb-...

There is another guide that also uses a bootsect step. This step is unnecessary.

Have you made a custom CD? You will probably be presented with a list of drivers that Ghost says are needed. Ignore them. If you can see your HDs that is enough. One advantage of a custom CD is that it contains your serial number and you don't have to enter the number when you make a cold image.

IP Logged

anadarko
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 9:31am

Hi Brian / all,
I installed Ghost 15 in Win7 64 over a year ago and every thing is working fine. I seem to recall that I have updated Ghost at least once using live update. I also created a bootable USB SRD drive at the same time, but it hasn't had any updates applied to it. I seem to recall that there was a way to update the USB SRD disk with any new builds applied to the installed software. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print