Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What about giving away old software? (Read 5448 times)
Richard K
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Atlanta, GA

What about giving away old software?
Jun 24th, 2011 at 5:13pm

I bought a new Win 7 PC and I will give my old PC to somebody. (I wiped the hard drive  of everything except for WinXP).  I used Acronis Drive Shreder, one pass.

I have wound up with several program CD's I had bought for the old one.  These  are registered to me, although some of the liscenses have expired. 

I won't use these programs again.

Did I mention that I miss my XP?

I can give the CD's to Goodwill, for example. Plenty of people wouldt be happy to get them.

Is there a downside to letting people have these registered programs?  Whould you do?

Richard

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: What about giving away old software?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 7:09pm

hey.

tell me about it. =)

oh, are you talking about the PC or the CDs?

oh, you're talking about the CDs. Nevermind.  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: What about giving away old software?
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 1:08pm

@
Richard K

Quote:
I have wound up with several program CD's I had bought for the old one.  These  are registered to me, although some of the liscenses have expired.

Look at the Program's EULAs (End User License Agreement).  Many have a provision for transferring the license from one user to another.  The original installation CD will often have the EULA in a text (.txt) or PDF (.pdf) file on the CD.

If there is a time limited license (for instance--a one year subscription), then I don't think you can transfer (or give away) such software--you could possibly be held liable it someone tries to *hack* and use these programs if they are somehow linked to you through prior registration.  However, if there is an activation code--if the year's subscription has already been used--most likely these will simply refuse to be activated without purchase of an updated license.  These I would simply destroy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print