Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003-XP mirror/duplicate/ 'clone' ? - how to ? (Read 17860 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Ghost 2003-XP mirror/duplicate/ 'clone' ? - how to ?
Jul 8th, 2011 at 9:16am

Hiya  Smiley
Ghost 2003,
XP professional. PC: WD HDDs, 320GB+320GB, 1st HDD = O/S + 4 partitions, all NFTS, IDE!!! > + CD writer + DVD writer.

In a not so far future I may have to replace my present built-in 'main' HDD w/O/S = XP = approx 3GB, incl. all programs/tools.

I have 2 new WD HDDs (320GB + 500GB) -> preferred 500GB

Since both present HDDs are built-in, I can't possibly format etc. the new HDD. This will be done by a friend. He just will format & make a C:/ partition for the O/S. -> I would 'make' the other partitions later within XP Windows disk manager.

Then the new HDD (500GB - later 'making' 6 partitions!) will have a different C:/-size from the present one (320GB, 5 partitions). I would set the jumper as 'slave', and put the HDD next to my PC in order to mirror the O/S.

Ghost 2003: mirror/duplicate/clone {sorry, German manual uses only the word 'duplicate' - should be the same  Huh }

After that: take 'old' HDD out of PC > set jumper of new HDD as 'master' & build-in the new HDD (500GB).

will the PC boot now  Huh
If not - what to do  Huh

Furthermore (& important!!!): will ghost 2003 adjust/[b][i][u]auto-alter the different sizes of C:/ [/u][/i][/b] -> C:/ IS big enough!! O/S approx 3GB.

Question: I also read that Ghost 2003 can mirror/duplicate the whole HDD - meaning incl. all partitions. That would be very favorable for me. BUT: will Ghost 2003 adjust/alter each partition to the new size  Huh

If only C:/ will be there as partition on the new HDD, I could easier recognize it, because I ONLY use ghost in [b][u]DOS![/u][/b] (hard enough to know what's what  Grin).

I'm newbie on this - would be ever so thankful for help (step-by-step, if possible) = what to do when & how  Embarrassed

P.S.: To reinstall XP would be a desaster for me! Shocked

henriette  Sad

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Re: Ghost 2003-XP mirror/duplicate/ 'clone' ? - how to ?
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 5:24am

Roll Eyes
I just received a 'topic notification' from Brian, saying:

@ *henriette*

You don't need to partition and format the new HD if you want to restore a .gho.

I gather you have a 320 GB HD which includes a WinXP partition. You want to restore an image of this partition to a 500 GB HD and resize the WinXP partition larger on the new HD. Remove your present HD0 and replace it with the empty 500 GB HD. Boot from your Ghost 2003 disk, choose Disk from Image, choose the empty HD0 as the target, in the New Size field enter your desired partition size, etc.

It is that easy.

Sounds easy, indeed, hehehe. BUT
see my question below (red)

How come I can't seem to find Brian's reply Huh

"Boot from your Ghost 2003 disk" >
Brian, are you talking about the DVD with the latest image  Huh
please note: I'm using two floppies (CD/DVD boot disks) to start into DOS. Then insert DVD w/image (.gho).

So sorry for my poor English  Embarrassed

Would have loved to thank you for your help ...
did I understand you right ?

henriette  Kiss

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 5:21pm

@
henriette

I posted that message but deleted it a few minutes later. I didn't realize you would get a notification.

The reason I deleted the message was I had BootIt installed when I did the test and the result may not be valid for your computer.

Yes, I did mean boot from your Ghost disks and then navigate to your .gho. Having .gho on a DVD isn't what I'd do. I like images on hard drives. But if Ghost 2003 can see your image, that's fine. You can try my method. If you only have the new HD connected in your computer you can't do any damage.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 5:45pm

@
henriette

I repeated my test without BootIt. It works fine. Out of interest, you can restore the image to an empty HD that has a zeroed MBR. You have to use Disk from Image. Partition from Image doesn't work in this situation.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 6:10am

Hiya Brian Smiley

It just dawned on me (never thought I could use it in this case):

On my HD1 = 2nd internal - still built in after having removed my present HD0 - I actually got the Image  Grin
(that's the source from which I  usually restore an image  Roll Eyes ...
DVDs are only for 'worst case' > boot-DVDs.

So I would like to tell you the steps, hoping you will correct me or give your o.k.:

1. create new image to FP1 (=2nd internal HD) [writing on DVD, too, just in case].

2. remove present HD0 (with XP on it).

3. jumper as master + build in new empty, unpartitioned {pre-formatted by WD >>> also already
that has a zeroed MBR
?? } ... 500GB HD.

4. boot with 2 floppies ("CD/DVD boot disc #1 + #2").

5. Quote:
You have to use Disk from Image. Partition from Image doesn't work in this situation.
?
Now that is typical > German *.pdf is all I got. Meaning it's all German !
AND there are 3 (three) steps: LOCAL > DATENTRAEGER = HD (what you say) > to/from IMAGE !!!

"Disk" in this case = "HD" (German 'Datentraeger') right ? > "from Image" > chosing partition from HD1 (where image is).
(since you say that partition from image doesn't work - at least in my case ...).

6. 'get going', lol, hoping it will find the right way - which I had told Ghost  Grin

7. & most important:
WILL my PC (XP! mind!) boot & find the O/S now ???
The reason I'm asking is that I've read about problems concerning just that - particularly with XP!
[they were told to 'fumble' in the registry or something like that ... their PC booted up showing "XP-logo" .. then stopped!]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

further work would be after that:
partition (the other 4 partitions), then copy the contents - beforehand saved onto external HD -  onto the appropriate partitions of the new HD.
(before or after I have set all necessary things).

That would be it ... or what did I forget  Undecided

Thank you ever so much for your help and for taking the time.

henriette  Kiss < also to your kangaroos  Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:17am

@
henriette

Quote:
In a not so far future I may have to replace my present built-in 'main' HDD w/O/S

This should be a straight forward procedure for Ghost--one of the things it was originally designed to do!

Quote:
Now that is typical > German *.pdf is all I got. Meaning it's all German !

Here's the *English* version of the Ghost 2003 User Guide if you need to compare the English equivalent to the German terminology:  Ghost 2003 User Guide .  You can download it and save it to your system for future reference.

Couple clarifications regarding your system/set-up: 

Quote:
XP professional. PC: WD HDDs, 320GB+320GB, 1st HDD = O/S + 4 partitions, all NFTS, IDE!!!

You mention using *jumpers* to make a HDD a *slave*--so I'm guessing you have PATA (Parallel ATA) HDDs and not SATA (Serial ATA) HDDs (because SATA HDDs do not have jumpers for *master* and *slave* designations--this is determined by which SATA port on the motherboard you attach the SATA HDD to)--so, is that what you are trying to indicate above by the *IDE* comment?

To the best of my understanding, both SATA and PATA HDDs are considered to be *IDE devices* that adhere to the ATA standards.  When SATA first came on the market, it was common to see *IDE* used to refer to PATA HDDs vs SATA HDDs.  But, I think that's an incorrect use of terminology--just for the record.

Quote:
2. remove present HD0 (with XP on it).

3. jumper as master + build in new empty, unpartitioned

As mentioned above, it's PATA HDDs that use *jumpers* to select *Master, Slave, or Cable Select*--just out of curiosity--most newer systems (since the late 1990's and early 2000's) were using *Cable Select* rather than the *Master* or *Slave* settings--did your system come with the jumpers set as *Master* and *Slave*?

I don't know if there is any reason one can not actually use the *Master* and *Slave* jumpers (shouldn't be), but, I had one system in the distant pass that did not *like* using the *Master* and *Slave* settings--it was *flaky* and once I changed to *Cable Select*--everything was *okay*.  At the time, I remembered reading that newer HDDs and HDD controllers *preferred* (worked better) when *Cable Select* was used.  Maybe that was just an issue with my particular system--and/or those problems have been resolved over time.

But, is there a reason you do not use *Cable Select*?  The cable should have blue connector that connects to the motherboard, a black connector at the other end that would be the *Master* position on the cable, and a grey middle connector that would be the *Slave* position on the cable.

Quote:
7. & most important:
WILL my PC (XP! mind!) boot & find the O/S now ???
The reason I'm asking is that I've read about problems concerning just that - particularly with XP!

It's more likely to be a problem using Ghost 2003 with Win Vista or Win 7--these newer OSs came out after Ghost 2003 was *discontinued*--and they have a new boot manager setup that Ghost 2003 does not *understand*--so without making special arrangements, you can have boot problems.  But, Ghost 2003 was developed along with WinXP--so it usually is not a problem for most situations. 

There can be issues if you have something unusual about your Master Boot Record--these can include if you have a system built by one of the *big* manufacturers that have put an emergency *restore* partition and/or system utility partition on the original HDD in addition to the OS partition.  Also, if you are using a program like Symantec's *GoBack* software--it uses the Master Boot Region for certain functions.  Or, some programs will use the Master Boot Region to *hide* certain anti-piracy program ID's to prevent making copies of that program on other systems.  Another potential problem shows up on some of the *Multi-Media* PCs where you can run certain audio/visual programs without actually booting the system to the full blown Windows OS.  I think you can run into boot problems with this type of setup as well.

So, if you don't have any of the above, you probably will not have any boot problems after restoring your original HDD to the new HDD.  There are solutions to getting around those problems above, if need be, but I would only worry about them if your initial efforts don't work out.

I'm going to post this, and then post next how best to do your transfer of you WinXP OS to the new HDD.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:23pm

@
henriette

Quote:
Since both present HDDs are built-in, I can't possibly format etc. the new HDD. This will be done by a friend. He just will format & make a C:/ partition for the O/S. -> I would 'make' the other partitions later within XP Windows disk manager.

This could lead to a boot problem!  It won't necessarily--but, it increases the likelihood of something going wrong!

Quote:
It just dawned on me (never thought I could use it in this case):

On my HD1 = 2nd internal - still built in after having removed my present HD0 - I actually got the Image 
(that's the source from which I  usually restore an image   ...
DVDs are only for 'worst case' > boot-DVDs.

Now, that's going to be the better way to proceed!  You want Ghost to do all the formatting and *re-sizing* of the partitions--you will be given the *option* during the restore procedure to accept--or change the final partition sizes on the new HDD--and Ghost will do everything for you!

Just make a *whole drive* backup image of your original (320 GB) HD0 to your second HD1 (*Local > Disk > To Image*).  Remove HD0 and replace it with your new HD0 (500 GB).  And now restore the *whole drive* image to your new replacement HDD.

Quote:
Then the new HDD (500GB - later 'making' 6 partitions!) will have a different C:/-size from the present one (320GB, 5 partitions).

So, you want your new HDD to have an additional partition--and not the same number of partitions as your original HDD--correct?  This may or may not be easy as I will explain in a moment.

So, after you have placed the new 500 GB HDD in your system, boot to DOS Ghost.  Select *Local > Disk > From Image*.  Then select the source for the image file--from your *slave* HD1 that you have saved your *whole HDD* image to.  The select the destination HDD to restore the image to.

Ghost will now show you the partition layout that it *thinks* is best--it will have increased the partition sizes to fill the new larger HDD so the whole HDD is used.  The new *proposed* partition sizes are usually *proportionally* larger for all the partitions--but, sometimes there are variations in the size--depends on what you started with--Ghost has a mind of its own sometimes!

But, you don't have to accept those sizes--you can use the mouse if you have one available during your DOS session--to select and drag the partition size bar down at the bottom to change the partition sizes to your liking.  You can not make a partition smaller than the actual data size for that partition that is coming from the image.  Or, if you don't have a mouse function, you can *tab* to the various partition sizes listed to the far right and put in the size you want.

It should show you your *5* partitions with the new suggested partition sizes.  If you want to add a new *6th* partition--then re-size the partitions to create some unallocated space at the end of the partition listing.  This unallocated space will then be available for you to use WinXP's Disk Management to create another partition.

But, this represents a potential problem!  I'm not sure of this, but I think the unallocated space will be *outside* any *logical* partition--even if you have re-sized the partitions inside a *logical* partition--I don't think Ghost will leave that unallocated space inside that *logical* partition.  I've not attempted this in the past, so I'm not completely sure about this!  If the unallocated space is outside of a logical partition, you will probably only be able to make that unallocated space into a *primary* partition using Disk Management (which means you have to have an empty (unused) primary partition slot in the Master Boot Record available)--and that could possibly cause drive letter changes--not in WinXP because it *remembers* what drive letters have been previously used on other partitions--but, in DOS. If you have partitioning software that can move things around without destroying partition data (like PartitionMagic), then you can re-arrange the unallocated space to be where ever you want after you restore the Ghost image to the new HDD.

So, you have to think through what results you are hoping to achieve--and then figure out what it takes to reach that end result!  So, we actually need to know what you want for a final outcome (i.e. type of partitions--logical vs primary) in order to advise you on what you may need to do.  And, we need to know what programs you may have available to help achieve your goal(s).

It should be *easy* to *duplicate* what you already have on the new, larger HDD--but adding that extra partition may take a little more *effort*!

Let us know what you are thinking in terms of final outcome and if the above will get you where you want to be.  If not, then we will have to try to work around the issues that are raised.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 4:51am

Hiyaaa NightOwl  Smiley Smiley Smiley

I will reply to your 1st post & send it, then reply to your 2nd post separately.

Quote:
This should be a straight forward procedure for Ghost--one of the things it was originally designed to do!

wow! That's an amazing fact !!!

Quote:
Here's the *English* version of the Ghost 2003 User Guide

Thank's a lot  Cool

*IDE*:
Quote:
it was common to see *IDE* used to refer to PATA HDDs vs SATA HDDs.  But, I think that's an incorrect use of terminology--just for the record.

I totally agree! For decades on homepages of sellers for e.g. HDDs you found *EIDE/PATA* instead of just *IDE*.
Nowadays I have to call them to be sure to buy the correct product for my PC! (well, for users with limited knowledge like me it's not that easy!)  Roll Eyes

I do have *EIDE/PATA* > meanwhile 80- conductor cable.

Quote:
is there a reason you do not use *Cable Select*?

As I pointes out above > 80-conductor cable is required for *cable select*.

For more info (why/why not) please read this:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

However, I still set the jumpers to *master* and *slave*, since it works fine with my PC > also see "warning" in the above URL.

Possible boot problems:
Quote:
if you have a system built by one of the *big* manufacturers ...  Also, if you are using a program like Symantec's *GoBack* software ... *Multi-Media* PCs ...

I have none of the above.

Bought the case [big tower] & hardware seperately, and I replace old hardware by *up-to-date*
[as far as my rather old PC will *accept* it] - same with software - all to my own 'taste' > security first   Wink

[FYI: my mainboard "ASUS A7N8X-X"]

So I don't think I will be affected ... I hope, that is  Grin

henriette {reply to your post #2 to follow}  Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 6:55am

@
henriette

Quote:
As I pointes out above > 80-conductor cable is required for *cable select*.

For more info (why/why not) please read this:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

That is an old web page. I use cable select with 40 wire cables. I'd prefer an 80 wire cable but if one is not available a 40 wire cable works.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 7:05am

@NightOwl
Reply to post#2:

Quote:
Just make a *whole drive* backup image of your original (320 GB) HD0 to your second HD1 (*Local > Disk > To Image*). 

Well, if the space will be sufficient  Undecided:

My HD1 = 2nd HD *slave* = 320GB = 2 partitions.> image partition = 150GB > free space = 147GB [just 1 image left on that partition = latest image].

note: All ever created images are saved to external HD  Wink Mind, external HD Is usually NOT connected to PC - only for backups {in that case router power off!}. Ghost doesn't *know* external, yet ... and there's no need for that IMHO.

Allocated space on HD0 = +/- (!) 135GB (all data - if I'm lucky!).

IF free space doesn't count, it might just work  Cheesy

>>> believe me, even in my dreams I tried to solve that problem   Grin

Now I 'partly' repeat:

Quote:
You want Ghost to do all the formatting and *re-sizing* of the partitions--you will be given the *option* during the restore procedure to accept--or change the final partition sizes on the new HDD--and Ghost will do everything for you!

Just make a *whole drive* backup image of your original (320 GB) HD0 to your second HD1 (*Local > Disk > To Image*). 

Remove HD0 and replace it with your new HD0 (500 GB).  And now restore the *whole drive* image to your new replacement HDD.

Yes, would be great if Ghost would do all that for me! Kiss

Quote:
after you have placed the new 500 GB HDD in your system, boot to DOS Ghost

STILL using the 2 floppies - CD/DVD boot disks  Huh (I'm so excited, think that makes me be such a pain ... )

Ok, assuming I'm right ... goes on like you said in your post,

just let me repeat it here:

Quote:
Select *Local > Disk > From Image*. 
Then select the source for the image file--from your *slave* HD1 that you have saved your *whole HDD* image to. 
Then select the destination HDD to restore the image to.

Ghost will now show you the partition layout that it *thinks* is best--it will have increased the partition sizes to fill the new larger HDD so the whole HDD is used.  The new *proposed* partition sizes are usually *proportionally* larger for all the partitions--but, sometimes there are variations in the size--depends on what you started with--Ghost has a mind of its own sometimes! 

But, you don't have to accept those sizes--you can use the mouse if you have one available during your DOS session--to select and drag the partition size bar down at the bottom to change the partition sizes to your liking.  You can not make a partition smaller than the actual data size for that partition that is coming from the image.  Or, if you don't have a mouse function, you can *tab* to the various partition sizes listed to the far right and put in the size you want.

It should show you your *5* partitions with the new suggested partition sizes.

OH! What about the drive-letters ???
Will Ghost ask me what drive letter for each Partition ?
of course it's in a row (so to speak)
For the 500GB HD should become C:/, D:/, E:/, F:/, G:/. Would be like now. Where C:/ = primary partition, all the others = logical partitions.

Quote:
So, you want your new HDD to have an additional partition

No, will remain 5 partitions, just different size each partition, sorry for saying 6 partitions in my post   Roll Eyes

>> *primary* partitions > only 4 possible!!!!!
Or do you mean by *potential problem* only if I had wanted a 6th partition (by mistake) ???

Since you said the following:

Quote:
But, this represents a potential problem!  I'm not sure of this, but I think the unallocated space will be *outside* any *logical* partition--even if you have re-sized the partitions inside a *logical* partition--I don't think Ghost will leave that unallocated space inside that *logical* partition.  I've not attempted this in the past, so I'm not completely sure about this!  If the unallocated space is outside of a logical partition, you will probably only be able to make that unallocated space into a *primary* partition using Disk Management (which means you have to have an empty (unused) primary partition slot in the Master Boot Record available)--and that could possibly cause drive letter changes--not in WinXP because it *remembers* what drive letters have been previously used on other partitions--but, in DOS. If you have partitioning software that can move things around without destroying partition data (like PartitionMagic), then you can re-arrange the unallocated space to be where ever you want after you restore the Ghost image to the new HDD.

Whatever you referred to by the above, I got Paragon Partition Manager. Though I still think you were talking of a 6th partition which was my mistake!

on we go:

Quote:
It should be *easy* to *duplicate* what you already have on the new, larger HDD--but adding that extra partition may take a little more *effort*!

... and since I do NOT want a 6th partition, things should be lots easier  Wink

I have to ask you for your final *thought*, now that I -  hopefully to your understanding - posted this partly mixed-up (by me!) kinda summit  Cheesy

Thank you sooo much for your patience and for your excellent detailed guide.

henriette   Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 11:15am

@
henriette

Quote:
Well, if the space will be sufficient  :

My HD1 = 2nd HD *slave* = 320GB = 2 partitions.> image partition = 150GB > free space = 147GB [just 1 image left on that partition = latest image].

note: All ever created images are saved to external HD   Mind, external HD Is usually NOT connected to PC - only for backups {in that case router power off!}. Ghost doesn't *know* external, yet ... and there's no need for that IMHO.

Allocated space on HD0 = +/- (!) 135GB (all data - if I'm lucky!).

IF free space doesn't count, it might just work

So, I'm guessing you are usually doing backups of single partitions to image files and not whole drive backups!

Well, you could proceed in a different manner in that case:

With the system shut down, remove your current slave drive (HD1) and set it aside.  Pull the current master drive (HD0), change its jumper to slave and put it where the HD1 used to be.  Jumper your new 500 GB HDD to master and place it where the original master HD0 had been.

Now, do a *disk to disk* clone--simply by-pass using an image file!  You would boot the system, load Ghost, and then select *Local > Disk > To Disk*.  You have to be real careful to select the correct source HDD and the correct destination HDD--you don't want to clone the new, empty disk to the old HDD that has all your data and the OS--that would wipe the old HDD clean and you may not be able to recover any of that data!  But, seeing which HDD is which shouldn't be too hard with the obvious size differences.  And, usually, the master HDD is listed first and the slave HDD is below the master when you see the HDDs listed in the *source* and *destination* HDD lists for Ghost.

Once done, shut down, remove the original HD0 that is in the slave position and replace your original HD1 back in its place.  Should be done, and I expect things should boot just fine.

Using an image file would be the safer route--can't wipe out your original source HDD, and can just start over if you made a mistake.  But, if you can not fit a whole disk image on your secondary HDD, doing the direct *disk to disk* clone is another option.

Quote:
OH! What about the drive-letters ???
Will Ghost ask me what drive letter for each Partition ?

You won't have to worry about any drive letters in this case.  That would be a possible issue if you want to restore individual partitions.  If the partitions are not easy to identify by size difference, you may make a mistake choosing one vs another.  I always make the partitions different in size so I know which is which.  And, I always *label* each partition with a unique name--in certain steps of Ghost backup and restore procedures--the partition *labels* can be seen--again that helps identify them along with size differences.  I label the OS partition as *WinXP_OS*, and the various other partitions with the drive letter that is present as seen in Windows--so *D* is labeled *Part_D*, *E* is *Part_E*, and so on.

Quote:
... and since I do NOT want a 6th partition, things should be lots easier

Yes--everything should be easy and straight forward given this information!

Other questions?

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:21am

@NightOwl

Good news  Grin

On HD0 = present *master* (biggest partition ['music']) > saved some folders to external HD, then deleted from 'music' partition. Folders can easily be copied back later.

Now: whole drive HD0 > size 100GB max allocated space.

HD1 *slave* = 2nd HD > free space for image = 147GB.
So there shouldn't be any problem for a *whole drive backup* Wink

{so sorry for having taken your precious time - the penny finally dropped Roll Eyes}

BUT who knows if I will need your most valuable guide *disk-to-disk* clone some day ! Thank you so much  Wink

Regarding the new HD space 'situation', I would use your earlier detailed guide method.

replies to your latest post:

Quote:
I'm guessing you are usually doing backups of single partitions to image files and not whole drive backups

Yes, I create images only of C:/ with all application, since that's sufficient for *every-day use*, don't you think ? 

note: my board allows 2 internal HDDs only up to size 500GB (each) [acc. to ASUS for proper function], that's also a point - never enough space left for steady *whole drive* images.
>> my 1st PC had a HD = 320MB - remember those days ?

Drive letters:
Quote:
If the partitions are not easy to identify by size difference, you may make a mistake choosing one vs another.  I always make the partitions different in size so I know which is which.  And, I always *label* each partition with a unique name--in certain steps of Ghost backup and restore procedures--the partition *labels* can be seen--again that helps identify them along with size differences.  I label the OS partition as *WinXP_OS*, and the various other partitions with the drive letter that is present as seen in Windows--so *D* is labeled *Part_D*, *E* is *Part_E*, and so on.

So do I. C:/ = *XP*, D:/ = *music*, and so on.

In case you will find any tech 'mistake' (meaning anything wouldn't work this way) in this post, please let me know.

If it would work, just post 1 word: "okayWink

Thank you ever so much for taking so much time for me *slow on the uptake* ... you are E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T  Smiley

henriette   Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:55am

@
henriette

Okay!

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 11:20am

@ NightOwl

Yayyyyyyyyyyy   Wink Smiley Kiss

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 11:28am

@
henriette

Oh, I just can't stand it--a one work post!--just not my style  Cheesy !

Quote:
Yes, I create images only of C:/ with all application, since that's sufficient for *every-day use*, don't you think ?

Well, the question is *do you have your data on other partitions backed up* in some other fashion?  I use multiple partitions to separate my *data* from my OS and applications that are on *C*.  So, if I somehow screw up the OS, I can restore the most recent good image to correct the screw up.  And, my data which may have changed since the last time I made an image is untouched when restoring just the OS partition--so I don't loose any recent data.

But, if the whole drive dies--then my data partition(s) will go with it--I loose everything!  Unless I have it backed up.  So, I use whole drive backups--usually on a monthly basis.  I use OS only backups when needed if I know I'm doing something that might cause a potential problem--like installing a large, new program that's untested that could lead to a possible OS crash, etc.

I use a separate backup program ( Karen's Replicator v3.6.8 ) to perform daily backups of data that often changes on a daily basis--pictures, emails, word processing--this is saved to my secondary HDD so it's protected from a failure of the primary HDD.  Should the secondary HDD fail--I just replace it and start saving backups to it again--no harm, no foul!  Data that does not change from one month to the next, I don't have to worry about--it's on the monthly whole drive image backups.

(By the way--I saw that *Karen* passed away this last year--an unfortunate loss.  Her family, for now is maintaining her website, but it's unclear for how long--so, if you want to try her backup program, one should download it sooner than later just in case!)

So, my whole HDD images can get my OS and the rest of my main HDD up and running quickly if I have a failure--and my daily backups of my data can restore anything that might be lost between whole drive images.

Quote:
my 1st PC had a HD = 320MB - remember those days ?

Yes!  Mine was 240 MB!

Please report back with the results of your efforts!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print