Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
USB Automated Ghost Need Help (Read 109362 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: USB Automated Ghost Need Help
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:54pm

snowdude wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:51pm:
is sitting at a cmd window titled X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - startnet.cmd, there is no writing on the screen just a blinking cursor, it is unresponsive

Try my startnet.cmd

IP Logged

snowdude
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:00pm

Ok, as soon as I posted that my Ctrl C finally registered and I told it not to terminate batch job, it finally told me "Launching AutoGhost... One Moment Please..." from my startnet.cmd, then it said "The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe."

IP Logged

snowdude
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:10pm

I accidently tried to unmount the image at index 1 of boot.wim while I still had startnet.cmd open in notepad and now its not letting me mount it again and I have no way of editing the startnet.cmd in it... Do I have to reformat and re-ghost boot wizard this flash drive?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:13pm

snowdude wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:10pm:
Do I have to reformat and re-ghost boot wizard this flash drive? 

I'm not sure. If you remove and reinsert your flash drive can you mount boot.wim.

IP Logged

snowdude
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:23pm

Tried that, still not able to. Gonna try rebooting my computer, if that doesn't work I will save the start.bat and startnet.cmd files to my computer, reformat the flashdrive, and put em back on, that should get me back to where I was.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:28pm

That will give you the default startnet.cmd and save a boot.wim mount. Then you just have to edit start.bat.

IP Logged

snowdude
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:38pm

Rebooting didn't work, wow that might be a first... lol. Anyways I am gonna go reformat/ghost boot wizard this flash drive, so when its done both of my startnet.cmd files will be the default wpeinit or whatever right? But I still have to mount the boot.wim and go edit the start.bat in the ghost folder on image 2 right?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:44pm

No, you don't need to mount boot.wim at all. Just edit start.bat in the ghost folder on the flash drive. Easy.

I don't understand what you mean by image 2.

IP Logged

snowdude
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:53pm

Editing start.bat, the one inside the ghost folder on the flash drive, the one you are suggesting I edit, doesn't change anything when I boot off the flash drive, I will try it again with this fresh flash drive but simply editing the start.bat and adding switches etc didn't change the way ghost behaved when I launched it. It wasn't until I edited the startnet.cmd to point to the one on the C:\ drive rather then the one on the X:\ drive did it seem to have any effect. As for the image 2, using gimagex to mount the boot.wim file there are 2 images to mount, image 1 just has program files/data users and windows folders, image 2 has those as well as the ghost folder. The forum I looked into earlier the OP said that when he edited just the default image it errored out on him and wasn't able to boot into WinPE at all, he had to edit both.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:58pm

@
snowdude

I can't help much at present as my test computer won't boot from either Symantec flash drive. No idea why.

When I created the WinPE I edited the start.bat prior to the build so the "correct" start.bat was created in the ghost folder. I'm pretty sure I edited start.bat at a later stage and the edits worked.

IP Logged

snowdude
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #40 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:06pm

Hmm, okay well I've already created the flash drive, I'm copying the image over to it now then I will do some testing with the start.bat in the basic flash drive versus the start.bat in the boot.wim, but the way I understand it, I don't need to go anywhere or change any code outside of start.bat? As it is it should launch on its own after startnet.cmd runs? And simply adding the switches to the "start ghost32.exe" line as I did with the ghost.exe in the PC-DOS version, with the exception of dst=1 instead of 2, will have the desired result?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #41 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:26pm

OK, got the flash drive booting again. What I said was correct. You just have to edit start.bat in the ghost folder. When I built the flash drive I added A43 file management to the build but it can be added after the build. I just booted from the flash drive, used A43 to edit start.bat (while in WinPE) and then ran start.bat. It worked.

Edit... If I remove my .gho file from the command line I get an error.

IP Logged

snowdude
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #42 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:26pm

I may have sort of answered my own question, the unattend.xml file in the ghost folder, I had payed no attention to it before, but just out of curiosity this time I opened it and I don't know xml at all but from what I gather from my knowledge of C, Java, and other languages it seems as if this is telling it to run c:\ghost\copy.bat, which it sounds like will copy the batch and config files, so the "start.bat" from c:\ over to x:\, which when I edited the startnet.cmd files I removed the unattend.xml process so the copy.bat never ran so my start.bat didn't get replicated to x:\.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:57pm

I may be misleading both of us. The flash drive that I just used was built with only "start ghost32.exe" in the command line. I edited start.bat while in WinPE and ran start.bat. The restore happened. Later I checked the USB flash drive in Windows and start.bat was what I created. But when I booted from the flash drive again, Ghost opened but the auto restore didn't happen. I checked ghost.bat in the ghost folder and it was correct but ghost.bat in the X:\ghost folder only showed "start ghost32.exe" in the command line.

It seems you have to enter the correct command line during the build. That's what I did with my first flash drive build.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 6:06pm

Another complication that applies to me. Copy.bat and the xml file refer to C:\ghost but C:\ is my OS and there is no C:\ghost. So start.bat isn't getting copied to X:\

I guess that's why I need to have the correct start.bat in X:\ghost.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print