Send Topic Print
$25 computer? (Read 4155 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

$25 computer?
Aug 1st, 2011 at 6:07pm

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Responsible-Tech/2011/0712/Raspberry-Pi-Rise...

thots?

what is the processing power of a "high end smart phone" vs say that of a new (january) intel core i5 cpu?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i5-processor.html

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: $25 computer?
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 3:25pm

Rad wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 6:07pm:
thots?

I'll believe it when I see it.  We've seen promises of the $100 OLPC project, India's $50 computer, and now this.  So far, none of them really delivered what they promised.  That said, I do think this could be done and I hope they succeed.

Rad wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 6:07pm:
what is the processing power of a "high end smart phone" vs say that of a new (january) intel core i5 cpu?

There is a HUGE difference.  A desktop processor and a smart phone are not even in the same league.  It's like comparing a moped with a Mustang.

But, I don't think comparing something with the processing power of a smart phone to a desktop is the right comparison.  We should compare it to a smart phone or a tablet.  Desktop computers are completely overpowered for what a large majority of people use them for.  Web browsing, listening to music, and word processing are very easy tasks, computing-wise.  This is why smart phones get so much use, and why the netbook/tablet market is making so much headway. 

Is there room in the market for something w/ tablet-like processing power in a usb form factor?  That is the money question.  I don't have an answer.  I have a feeling it won't do well b/c its a slightly awkward form factor, but on the same hand I'm excited for it.  I already have a few uses in mind that something like this would be perfect for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print