Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Explorer Does Not See New Drive That Was Recently Copied (Read 7100 times)
Robs58
N00b

I Love Radified!

Explorer Does Not See New Drive That Was Recently Copied
Aug 3rd, 2011 at 10:44pm

Greetings,

I am running Ghost 14.0 on a Windows Vista computer.

I most recently used the "Copy My Hard Drive"  feature to copy my main hard drive to an an external 1 TB USB hard
drive.  At the time I did the copy operation,  the progress indicated "Successful Copy".  However,  whenever I use explorer to view the drive and its contents,  the drive is not showing up.

I can go to the "Manage Computer"  snap-in and the newly copied drive does show up there.  It is listed as "Disk 1" (Healthy, active partition)  Size says 465.76 GB.   Also listed in Disk 1 is another partition (unallocated).  Its size is  456.75 GB.

Can anyone tell me why my newly copied drive is not showing up in Explorer and what can I do to fix it?  Many thanks ahead of time!

Rob

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Explorer Does Not See New Drive That Was Recently Copied
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:00am

Rob,

That is expected behaviour.

Copy My Hard Drive is supposed to be used when upgrading to a larger HD. The old HD is expected to be removed from the computer and the computer booted from the new HD. It isn't intended to be used as a backup procedure and it is a pretty poor substitute for an image backup although a few people use it for that purpose. Also it is expected that the target HD will be an internal HD. Copying to an external HD sometimes fails to produce a bootable OS for a variety of reasons.

To explain your situation, you didn't select "Fill the unallocated space" so that's why you have 456 GB of unallocated space. To assign a drive letter to the 465 GB partition so you can see it in Windows Explorer, do this in Disk Management....

Right click the partition, Change Drive Letter and Paths, Change, etc. Choose any drive letter that's available.

Any questions?

IP Logged

Robs58
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 11:22pm

Greetings,

First,  thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Okay, this is what I am attempting to do:

In a nutshell,  what I am trying to do...is make an exact duplicate copy of my internal drive C: (500 GB) onto my external hard (1 TB) drive.  I want to make the external drive "bootable" and also to hold all of my restore points of the internal drive so that, in the event that I ever lose my internal drive,  I will be able to boot from the external drive and then restore any selected restore point to any new drive that I use to replace the original crashed internal drive.  See what I am trying to do?  I want to have my external drive as a bootable, original image which contains all of my restore points all ready to go should the need ever arise.

And after the image has been created,  I will then periodically create restore points of the internal  C: drive onto the external drive so that I can use them to recover from any possible internal  C: drive crash.

To me, that seems to be the way to go - have an external drive containing the original image of the internal C: drive as well as containing all of the restore points of the internal C: drive.

I'm trying to accomplish my goal in what seems (to me)  to be the intuitive way to do so - make an exact, external,  bootable image copy so that I will have updated recovery points to choose from should I ever need to replace the crashed internal  C: drive.

Please advise.  Thanks ahead of time!

Sincerely,

Rob Sandifer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 11:33pm

Rob,

I don't think having a bootable clone on your external HD is a good idea. Having multiple restore points on your external HD is a good idea especially as they will be up to date whereas the clone may be old and may not boot without "assistance". The most common reason for using a restore point is a software issue with your OS. Having to use a restore point after a HD failure isn't that common. Every 5 years on the average.

When you have a software issue you would boot from the Ghost CD and restore the restore point (image) to the current internal HD. Easy.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1132968474;start=7#7

See Reply #7

Edit.... This page describes why you don't want to consider booting Windows from a USB HD.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic116114.html

IP Logged

Robs58
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 11:20pm

Great explanation and thank you for taking the time to help!

All the best,

Rob Sandifer

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print