Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost ver 14 doesn't see hard drive during image restore (Read 16461 times)
bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ghost ver 14 doesn't see hard drive during image restore
Aug 6th, 2011 at 1:54pm

I back up my data daily to an internal SATA HD. I needed an extra SATA port so I purchased a SATA PCI card to get extra SATA ports.
Ghost backs up to the internal drive in Windows just fine, but I had a failure, so I Started Ghost Recovery CD but it didn't see the HD and couldn't find the image Recovery Points (backup images).
This PCI card, made by Syba does not allow booting from it.
Are there any PCI sata cards that Ghost will recognize the hard drives attached to it?  Does the PCI SATA card need to be bootable?
I eventually just connected the backup drive directly to the motherboard and restored from there....not very convenient.
Any ideas are appreciated.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost ver 14 doesn't see hard drive during image restore
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 3:41pm

@
bigdawg

The Ghost 14 CD recovery environment is 32-bit Vista so you need 32-bit Vista drivers for your PCI card. These can be loaded from the recovery environment by "Add a driver" or you can make a custom CD containing the driver. Let us know if this allows you to see the HD.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 8:09am

Brian:
Thanks for the info, however I need more detailed instructions on how to add this driver to the bootup recovery CD.  Sorry.

I assume that my computer, which is running XP Pro, will have no compatibility issue with the Vista driver you spoke of.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 12:50pm

@
bigdawg

bigdawg wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 8:09am:
I need more detailed instructions on how to add this driver to the bootup recovery CD

Pages 28/29 in the userguide.

bigdawg wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 8:09am:
running XP Pro, will have no compatibility issue with the Vista driver

No problems. The CD doesn't care which OS you are running. The driver won't be installed in WinXP.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 1:57pm

Brian:
I followed the instructions, however, when I put my current restore disk in, opened Ghost and ran 'create recovery disk', it did not show the Vista driver was available. In fact the only driver it showed that should be installed was an old Hostspot Shield driver.
Nothing for the PCI controller card that the internal drive is attached to.
Now what?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 2:32pm

@
bigdawg

It's been a few years since I've made a custom disk. I thought it gave you the option of adding your own drivers manually. If that doesn't work you can add drivers manually in the CD recovery environment. Select Add a Driver  and browse to your driver on a USB flash drive. But you have to do this every time you use the recovery environment. It only takes seconds.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 5:19pm

@
bigdawg

When you boot into the recovery environment, click Utilities, Load a Driver, browse to the .inf on your USB flash drive.

The Vista drivers should be on the CD that came with your PCI card.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 7:14pm

@
bigdawg

I just had a look at Ghost 15, Create Custom CD. There is a window called "Drivers to Include". Browse to your .inf.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 9:41am

Brian:
Thanks for the info. That did the trick!
It has been a long time since I made a recovery disk too and forgot that I needed to add drivers for any new hardware installed. Thanks again for your help.

One small issue...The Ghost task bar Icon seems to have a problem with this same drive that is attached to the PCI SATA card.  When I boot up, the Ghost task bar icon has a red circle with a white X. When I click on Ghost to open to see what the problem is, the X switches to a green circle with a white check mark like it use to do before the PCI SATA card addition.
I use this drive as my internal backup and Ghost does do automatic scheduled backups to this drive just fine. After each backup image is done, the Ghost task bar icon also changes to the green circle with a white check mark.
As I said, this is a small issue since the image backups are being made, I just wondered if there is a fix for this annoying issue?
Any ideas?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 12:45pm

@
bigdawg

Open Ghost, Advanced button, select the drive "At risk", right click, Customize Status Reporting, Errors only status reporting (or No status reporting).

That fixed my red circle with the white X.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 2:10pm

Brian:
I thought about doing that, however I was concerned that there may be some inherent problem that Ghost is having with this PCI SATA card and so was afraid to eliminate the reporting of it.
As I said, it seems to be working, I was just concerned that it may look like all is well until I actually need the backup image and find out too late that there was some sort of corruption caused by what ever the "X" was trying to tell me.
Do you feel confident that this is just a "false positive" type of error?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 3:51pm

@
bigdawg

bigdawg wrote on Aug 8th, 2011 at 2:10pm:
just a "false positive" type of error? 

Yes. It seems to happen particularly with USB external HDs. (I know that isn't you). I tick No status reporting for all my partitions, whether they need it or not.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 5:20pm

What about the Options menu. I noticed that it has a Default backup destination:
I put the internal drive that is on the PCI card in that spot. I also have an additional backup drive that sits on top of the computer but connected to the mobo SATA connector,  that isn't listed. Could that be the problem that Ghost sees?
Also, in the External Drives List there isn't any showing. Could that be the problem?
If none of these are the issue, then since you're expert, I guess I'll take your suggestion. Concerns me somewhat when the No Reporting option says "Select this option if the data is unimportant and missed or failed backups do not need to be reported."  All my backups are very important...I feel an ulcer coming on!   

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 5:30pm

@
bigdawg

I ignore many of the Ghost "suggestions".  I don't use the Ghost history and I delete backups manually and ignore the scolding. I like to do things my way. Some of the Ghost ways annoys me.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 8:06pm

Again, thanks for the advise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print