Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Please help: Replacing old computer with newly built computer. (Read 5470 times)
Jose
N00b

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry.

Please help: Replacing old computer with newly built computer.
Aug 26th, 2011 at 10:56am

Hello everyone.
Please help me.
I am building a new computer and donating the old computer. 
I am retaining the OS for the new box (WIN 7 x64).
I have licensed access to Ghost 15.
Cloning the old HDD will not work to perform a full system transfer in this case because the hardware components on the new machine require different drivers/configuration.
I will install WIN 7 x64 and get the new machine up and running, but I would like to avoid having to re-install all the programs I currently use on the old box and their particular configurations, such as MS Outlook for example.
Is there a way to create an image of everything "but" the WIN OS configuration on the old machine, to then restore to the new machine exactly as it was before, and be ready to go?
Please, if anyone can help me with this matter I would truly appreciate it.
Thank you.
Best regards,
Jose

God bless everyone.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Please help: Replacing old computer with newly built computer.
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 12:48pm

@
Jose

Jose wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 10:56am:
but I would like to avoid having to re-install all the programs I currently use on the old box and their particular configurations, such as MS Outlook for example.

The only way to do this is by imaging and restoring your Win7 partition.

Is there a way to create an image of everything "but" the WIN OS configuration on the old machine, to then restore to the new machine exactly as it was before, and be ready to go?

No. Unless you are referring to a data partition.

Cloning the old HDD will not work to perform a full system transfer in this case because the hardware components on the new machine require different drivers/configuration.

I think cloning will work despite the different hardware. You just have to get the new OS to boot into Windows and then you can deal with the hardware drivers. Getting Windows to boot is the key. AHCI drivers, if needed, can be installed with TBOSDT.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/tbosdt.htm

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by cloning your OS. Are you an experienced Ghost 15 user?

IP Logged

Jose
N00b

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry.

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 2:47pm

Thank you Demigod for your prompt reply, I appreciate it.

The answer to your question is 'no'.  Although I have access to Ghost 15 through my job, I have never used Ghost before.  The five computers in my household (home network) are backed up nightly to an HP MediaSmart EX495 Home Server running the Windows Home Server OS, but I have the same predicament; the disk image I have on the server is for the old hard drive configuration in the old machine to be replaced.

Regards,

Jose

God bless everyone.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 5:04pm

Jose,

In that case I probably wouldn't use Ghost as the cloning tool. I have some other suggestions. You mentioned images on your server. What software created these images?

Can you tell us about the partitions (Disk Management) on the HD of the computer to be replaced?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print