Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to recover a dual boot (Read 26537 times)
Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

How to recover a dual boot
Aug 31st, 2011 at 4:45pm

I have a dual boot setup using BING. I have a 1 TB drive partitioned, one for Win7 64 and one for Xp pro.
At start up BING loads and I have a choice between Xp and Win7.
The other day a scan (Symantec Corporate) reviled a number bad things, two of which could not be fixed. So its time to let Ghost 15 do its thing. 
I have a spare 1TB drive to try this out on. I plan to format it and replace currant drive 0 with the spare.
When Ghost creates a recovery point for C: it also sees the other partition and creates a recovery point for that as well.
My question, I've never tried to recover this setup before, I've recovered a single drive before with out trouble, is there anything I need to know before trying to recover my dual boot setup?
Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: How to recover a dual boot
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 5:19pm

Bill,

The earlier thread is here and it's a long one...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1279636210/0

Can you look in BING, Partition Work, and describe the partition information in the large white rectangle. I expect you have three partitions.
Do you have a floppy drive?

What errors did your scan show?

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 5:58pm

Hi Brain,

Yes, there are 3 partitions plus unallocated space, the last is only 6MB in size C: is 149.05 the other 148.06 unallocated space 633.5
>Can you look in BING, Partition Work
Its been a long time how do I find this?
I don't have a floppy drive just CD/DVD and a 4GB USB flash stick.
The files are Quarantined in two places, the name is: Trojan.gen

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 6:31pm

Brian,
If I remember correctly, I can only get to BING at start up. I have a scan going at the moment, then I'll reboot and take a look at BING.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 6:36pm

Bill,

When BING starts you see your Boot Menu. Click Maintenance, then Partition Work. Let me know everything in that window.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 6:43pm

Brian,
OK, upper left HD-0 Upper right, HPFS/NTFS
row 1: XP/Win764
Row 2: unallocated space
Row 3: Bootlt left side, EMBRM right side
File sizes for each row on the right

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 7:09pm

Bill,

I'm confused. Each line represents one partition. For example, my first line is...

XP1_SP3    Partition   4001 MB   HPPS/NTFS

BootIt doesn't use the term "unallocated space".

You shouldn't have two OS in the one partition.

Can you click View MBR. What do you see in the Name column?

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 7:48pm

Brain,
Yes, your right, I didn't copy that correctly.
HD 0 upper left

row 1: Win XP      Partition 152523   HPFS/NTFS

row 2: Win7 64     Partition 152626   HPFS/NTFS

-------------            Partition  648704    Free space

row 3: Bootlt EMBRM        Partition 6MB EMBRM

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 8:01pm

OK. Looks good. I understand the setup if you need to restore your images.

First, is you computer working OK now that the Trojan has been quarantined?
Where was the Trojan? In WinXP or Win7? Or both?

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 8:35pm

Good question, I haven't scanned XP, at lest not from XP. I assume the scan doesn't see XP.
The Trojan showed up in a Win7 scan. I haven't noticed any problems with my PC, just the scan, and its the first time a scan has showed any problems with win7 since I installed it last summer.
The scan also deleted 4 or 5 other threats, only two couldn't be and were quarantined.
Its possible that Symantec cleaned up most of this and I'm overreacting.
I had a friend over to clean and she likes online games, the PC was on for Solitaire Not the Internet, I will see her later and find out what she did.
I could turn Symantec off and try Win Defender.

The other thing is the fact that I haven't tried/tested Ghost 15 to see if everything works, so now might be a good time with my spare drive.
If its not to much trouble, could you outline how to do it? Or, is it something I only want to try if I really need it? If I pull my HD and test with the spare I can always put other back in.
Let me know what you think?
I'm going to scan XP now, I will reply tomorrow. Thank you for helping out.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 9:40pm

I suggest downloading Malwarebytes and running a scan. Accept Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware when asked. When it loads for the first time, click Decline and NOT Start Trial. (Decline stops Malwarebytes from running all the time). Choose Perform full scan, Scan, choose your C: drive, Scan. This will probably find more Trojans.

As your OS are hidden from each other, Norton (and Malwarebytes) only see the current OS. I wouldn't be in a hurry to restore an image if the Trojans have been eliminated.

Restoring on a test basis to your spare HD is a good idea. Remove your HD and install the new HD. Leave the new HD empty, no partitions. Boot from the Ghost CD and restore the XP image only. Use these options... (you may have to click Edit in Ghost to see all options)

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/New-Hard-drice/m-p/253329#M...

Don't click Resize drive after recover
Partition type : Primary
Check for file system errors after recovery
Set drive active (for booting OS)
Restore original disk signature
Don't click Restore master boot record

Remove the Ghost CD and boot into WinXP.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 3:44pm

Bill,

If you ever have a HD failure, I'd restore WinXP as above, then (while still in the Ghost recovery environment) restore Win7. Shutdown and boot from the BING CD to install BING to the HD. Set up your dual boot in BING. Finished.

By the way, you bought BING since 1st July 2009 so you are eligible for a free upgrade to BootIt BM.  To install BM to your BING system just boot from a BM CD and follow a few prompts. It's really easy. No hurry but when you are ready it will be on your download page....

https://terabyteunlimited.com/product-download.php

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 9:13pm

Brain,
I downloaded Malwarebytes, I run a scan on Win7, Malwarebytes didn't find anything, nothing.
I then did the same for XP pro, it found 1 file in 1 folder, quarantined it and deleted it successfully.
I guess I don't need to worry about any recovery, but at some point I should test it out on a spare drive. If I do a recovery, Photoshop will need to be reactivated as well as my color management software, but that's not a big deal. 
I always log on as a user with basic user privileges, if I do log on as Admin I'm only on line if I have to be, and then I'm very careful where I go.
If I do any searches or down loads, I do so on my user account, save anything to my flash stick, then log on as admin. At lest downloads are scanned first.
So your saying that BING will need to be reloaded if I have to recover, so there's no way to image the third partition? I guess there's no way to get a screen shot either as I remember setting it up was pretty deep. But to just test the two images do I even need to set it back up? I guess if I go back to that very long thread from a year ago, it might help out if I need it.

Thanks, Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 12:59am

Bill,

Good news from Malwarebytes.

Mr Moose wrote on Sep 1st, 2011 at 9:13pm:
If I do a recovery, Photoshop will need to be reactivated as well as my color management software, 

Why do you say that? I've seen reports of it happening but it must be unusual. The new HD should be just like the old.

Mr Moose wrote on Sep 1st, 2011 at 9:13pm:
So your saying that BING will need to be reloaded if I have to recover, so there's no way to image the third partition? 

I think it's easier to install BING manually after restoring the two OS. I just ran through your suggestion of restoring a BING image with Ghost. It produced an error each time (five attempts) but despite the error BING and the OS worked. But I felt uneasy. Also there is no way of restoring BING to the end of the HD unless you do some creative partitioning prior to using Ghost. BING gets restored to the middle of the HD, and follows the OS partition. You can use BING to slide the BING partition to the end of the HD after the restore. That works. But I still feel a new install of BING is easier and faster.

Why don't you try a HD failure scenario. Swap HDs and try one method of restoring first, delete the partitions and then try the other. It will be fun and very rewarding. You will be a wiser man. When you restore the BING partition, select Restore MBR as you need the TeraByte MBR.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:14am

Bill,

When you install BootIt BM you will also have Image for DOS (GUI). It is included in the BootIt partition. It has a nice feature called Entire Drive imaging. You can create a single image of your 3 partitions from BootIt. This single image can be restored to a new HD in a single restore procedure and the new HD will be partitioned identically to the old. In addition you can restore this image to the same HD if you deem that necessary and the restore can be run from a single mouse click. I have this system on my test computer, with a whole series of images for various OS setups. Let's say I want Win7 with WAIK, I can just restore that with a single click. WinXP, Ubuntu, Win7 with Ghost, etc. My test computer doesn't have a large enough HD to have multiple OS installed so I do it this way. It's easy. One click and a few minutes later I have a new OS. WinXP restore takes one minute. Win7 restore takes three minutes.

In addition, you can restore individual partitions from your entire drive image.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print