Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with GSS 2.5 / Ghost Console (Read 9823 times)
Falcon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Help with GSS 2.5 / Ghost Console
Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:26am

I have created a "Console Boot Partition" using this method here - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH110134&locale... and have added the NIC drivers I need for the image.

I  have setup a test machine and have it listed in my console, (after deploying the client to that machine of course) and I would simply like to image this machine using a Ghost image located on another server.

I have created a new task for this one machine and and selected the "Clone" option added the machine to the "Target Machine Group/Machine", browsed for the image on the "Clone" tab and left all other options as default.

I select execute and the machine gets a notice and then shuts down? So I have to start it back up manually and it boots into the PE environment, and starts "polling" for the server.

On the server the task says it running, and the GhostCast Server will be present, but the task will fail with a "Failed to reboot client to recovery partition" message.

Am I missing something here? Why does the machine shutdown instead of rebooting? And why the constant "polling" message on the client?

IP Logged

Falcon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: Help with GSS 2.5 / Ghost Console
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 10:17am

OK, I created a custom "WinPE" setup and added all drivers imaginable for my test machine, as a side note, I know these drivers work because I use the same drivers with BartPE without any issues.

The test machine is now restarting into the WinPE environment which is good news, but still cannot get beyond the constant "polling" messages.

IP Logged

Falcon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:53pm

Well, looks like the drivers I needed the Vista 32-bit drivers added to my custom WinPE driver set, once added, I ran a new task it looks as if all is good, the machine is imaging now.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 3:45pm

@
Falcon

The Ghost 15 recovery CD is based on Vista PE. From your findings it looks like the Ghost 2.5 CD is Vista PE based too. A pity because a Win7 PE is a better networking environment.

IP Logged

Falcon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 4:35pm

A bit off topic, but I was looking to create a bootable USB drive and was able to do so using the Ghost Boot Wizard and it boots up fine even starting Ghost for me, any idea on how I can edit the script to boot into my network share that holds the images?

Or even better, is it possible to load the client piece onto a machine frsh out of the box? How we do it now is we take all new machines and image them using a bootable USB drive and simply fire up Ghost and point it to our network share contianing the images.

Is it possible to take a machine out of the box, stick a USB drive in it, have it boot-up and then get picked up by the Ghost Console?

IP Logged

Falcon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 5:10pm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 10:37pm

Here is some discussion on restoring using a USB flash drive....

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1311271148/0#0

IP Logged

Falcon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 9:05am

I now have another issue, the GSS server is on the other side of the building, I can create the USB drives on my laptop no problem, but when a machine boots up to the USB drive it is "polling" for the server the drive was created on, I want it to be picked up by the Ghost Console on the other side of the building. Can you edit the info on these drives?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print