Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why one PC cannot be booted from Ghost CD? (Read 5181 times)
friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Why one PC cannot be booted from Ghost CD?
Oct 22nd, 2011 at 6:26pm

While troubleshooting some Ghost problems described in a separate post, I realized that one of my XP PC cannot be booted from Ghost CD.

The bootable Ghost 2003 CD was made based on the info from this forum (IIRC), and it works fine on 2 other XP PCs that have no floppy drives. The oldest PC has a floppy drive and I always used Ghost from floppy with no problems. Why would CD not work if drivers are the same on floppy and CD?

The boot process hangs after several "PCI bus scan complete" lines and right after this line: "IOMEGA ASPI USB-EHCI 1.0v13 09May2003."

The issue is not critical, but I would like to have that option of using CD in case floppies fail or get corrupted.
CD is faster too.

Thanks!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Why one PC cannot be booted from Ghost CD?
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 7:01am

@
friendly_jacek

Well, let the trouble shooting begin   Wink  !

Quote:
I always used Ghost from floppy with no problems

Are the two boot media *identical*?  (Meaning, are the config.sys and autoexec.bat and the drivers being loaded by both boot disk and disc the same--or, are they different?)

Quote:
The boot process hangs after several "PCI bus scan complete" lines

The PCI bus scan lines are probably from the drivers for optical drive drivers looking for available optical drives.

Quote:
The boot process hangs ... right after this line: "IOMEGA ASPI USB-EHCI 1.0v13 09May2003."

That is Ghost's USB driver that is trying to assign a DOS drive letter to any mounted USB devices that have been detected by the Ghost *Guest* driver that mounts USB controllers and attached USB storage devices.

Does you floppy boot disk have Guest.exe and the IOMEGA ASPI driver on it, and are they being loaded?  Usually, you need a two disk boot set of floppies if you are loading optical drive drivers, and USB drivers as well!

Quote:
The boot process hangs....

and,

Why one PC cannot be booted from Ghost CD?

Actually, sounds like the system is booting fine from the CD--but is hanging when trying to load that driver.

You can trouble shoot a DOS boot by pressing the F8 key as soon as you hear the beep and see the *Loading DOS....* (exact wording may vary depending on what DOS is being used)--you can then select the option to load each line one-by-one--you have to say *Y* (Yes) to each line, and after executing that line, the system stops and waits for you to say *Y* or *N* (No) to the next line.  You can say *N* to creating a boot log file, say *Y* to the other lines except for the one that loads *Guest.exe* and the line that loads the IOMEA ASPI driver--for those, say *N*.

Are you able to complete the boot process now--and use Ghost as needed?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Re: Why one PC cannot be booted from Ghost CD?
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 10:26am

Thanks NightOwl!

I will compare the files on floppies and CD and will report back later (wife is using the PC now and she hates interruptions).
I'll also try the F8 trick. Didn't know about it.

BTW, did I mention already that this forum rocks?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print