Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2003 & BCD Question (Read 25137 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: 2003 & BCD Question
Reply #15 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 11:06pm

I can't recall what The Shadow was doing. But Nigel resigned at that time and I suspect posts about pirated software was a reason.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 11:18pm

@
OldCasper

Quote:
That's true..... it was Nigel, one of the Ghost originators.

Don't quote me--it's been a long time since he mentioned it, but I'm pretty sure I remember Nigel saying that he was not part of the original grew that developed Ghost.  But, I think he's been with them a long time.

Quote:
Regardless of what you might want to call it, to berate me some more, Ghost 11.5, the package, comes with three programs (or more).

Really!  You don't even see that you *berate* yourself!  Last time I looked, it was Symantec that owns the copyright to the Ghost programs.  As the developers, I think they get to name and market their software in the manner they see fit.  And Symantec has chosen to market their software as Ghost Solution Suite v2.5x (not Ghost v11.5).  Any time you have the funds available to buy them out, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to discuss that with you--and then you can name the programs anything you want to.

If I'm wrong, post a link where I can purchase your *Ghost 11.5 package*--I've been wanting a licenced copy for awhile now.

I mean, it's like me telling you that I know a really great OS by Microsoft and you should get a copy -- it's *WordPad v5.1*-- because I don't want to use *WinXP* for the name of the OS!  Sure, I could do that--but I choose not to--for clarity and consistency purposes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 11:42pm

@
NightOwl

This link is 3 years old and there is ambiguity about the terms GSS and Ghost 11.5. It suggests Ghost 11.5 is part of GSS and that sounds reasonable. But it means you have to buy GSS if you want to use Ghost 11.5.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/293a5302ae81e39288256ebb0...

When I did those tests recently on restoring Ghost images using a USB flash drive I noted the app was called Ghost 11.5 in the title bar.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 12:07am

@
Brian

Quote:
When I did those tests recently on restoring Ghost images using a USB flash drive I noted the app was called Ghost 11.5 in the title bar.

Absolutely--the main executable program that you get when you purchase GSS 2.5x will be the Ghost *ghost.exe* and *ghost32.exe*--and both will be version 11.5x.

My only point has been is that you will not find a purchase source for the Ghost v11.5x executable under that name--it's included in the Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) v2.5x package.  Symantec chose to abandon naming the currently available Corporate Ghost program by its executable version number after Ghost v8.1 :  Ghost (software).  Ghost's executable from v8.2 onward (GSS v1.0), it has been under the GSS name.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Big_Al
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles

Reply #19 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 3:07am

November 7, 2011
OldCasper,

Your answer brings up another question: 

Most likely my new build will NOT have a floppy drive.  Can I just copy the contents

of my 3 Win98 floppy boot disks with Batch Files (Make to HDD, Make to CD, Restore)

to 3 Flash Drives and have my Windows 7 boot from THEM to do the Ghost 2003 chores??

Big Al

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 11:58pm

@
OldCasper

Quote:
If I'm wrong, post a link where I can purchase your *Ghost 11.5 package*--I've been wanting a licenced copy for awhile now.

I'm just hearing crickets.......as is so often the case--silence!

IP Logged

Tschawdar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Austria

Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 8:30am

Why  target (destination-partition) in ghost 2003 is gray?

For first time during the last 10 years of ghost use I can´t restore a Ghost image because the target partition not in the ghost approachable is - it is grey marked. The HDD is properly listed and blue marks. When I click on it - both partitions are grey and you cannot overplay that. Why that is so and how can I dock the target partition?
Data:
-Board K7S5A - chip SiS 735
-Target disk - master
-Source disk - slave
All Check’s are OK.
Pleas make an apology for my terrible English

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print