Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 problem on one of two identical WD Drives (Read 26282 times)
Scamper
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost 10 problem on one of two identical WD Drives
Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:26am

Reporting in, and I think I am close to the end of my options.  I used Reflect to create a cloned image of my "good" WD drive, the one that works in the Ghost backup, to the "bad" drive, the one that appears healthy but won't do a Ghost backup with a verify checked.  It took forever, but the price was right with Reflect, free, LOL. Then took the clone (the "bad" drive) and tried to run Ghost with verify.  Nope, still failed. 

The Western Digital SE warranty is one year, and I'm just past that. In a way I'm relieved because I cannot imagine trying to convince them the drive is defective.  I'm still not sure it is, and I'm thinking of running a backup of my Windows 7 computer with the Windows 7 standard backup to see if it works.

But first I will try the diskpart clean command as suggested. I am not familiar with this command.  Here's what I did, please tell me if it is correct:
1. Mounted drive on Windows 7 computer (as N drive).
2. Got in a cmd line window and switched to n drive.
3. Executed 'diskpart clean'.
Is that all I have to do, or do I need to repartition and format also, first, etc?  This is my final test (except for running a windows 7 backup) and I want to be sure I do it correctly.

I am now mostly consumed by curiousity - I'm well beyond the hundred bucks it would take to replace te drive, LOL, in time expended trying to force Ghost to use the drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:50am

@
Scamper

Looking at the DiskPart command sequence: 

Quote:
4. Format the drive by typing the following instructions into the same window. Replace the number “2” with the number of your disk.

list disk    (already done)
      select disk 2
      list disk    (to confirm. There will be a Star next to the selected disk)
      clean
      create partition primary
      select partition 1      
      active
      format fs=NTFS quick
     assign
      exit

It looks like you should have a single partition created and formatted as a NTFS file system that uses the whole HDD.

You should probably disconnect the USB HDD, and then reconnect it to see that Win7 mounts it correctly.

Then, see if it works with Ghost!

(As an aside--if you did the DiskPart up to the *clean* command, then do the *exit* command--you could use one of the *Sector Editing* tools to look at the first 63 sectors of the HDD to see if they in fact have been *zeroed*.  Then go back to DiskPart and do the last three commands to create and format the partition.  Or, you could probably also go the *Disk Management* and do the partition creation and formatting there.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Scamper
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:58am

I didn't see the detailed instructions for diskpart in replay #10, thanks. (I am confused about how to read threads here, I think.)  Am following them (carefully!) now. Afterwards will try Norton one more time!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:05am

@
Scamper

Quote:
I didn't see the detailed instructions for diskpart in replay #10, thanks

I wondered about that.  Your reported sequence:

Quote:
1. Mounted drive on Windows 7 computer (as N drive).
2. Got in a cmd line window and switched to n drive.
3. Executed 'diskpart clean'.
Is that all I have to do, or do I need to repartition and format also, first, etc?  This is my final test (except for running a windows 7 backup) and I want to be sure I do it correctly.

didn't seem to match Brian's suggested sequence.

But, there's more than one way to reach the same endpoint in Windows!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Scamper
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 12:34pm

Nope, 'my' way didn't work.  It appeared to work, but when I did it Brian's way I got confirming messages, LOL. I admit I was VERY nervous with the disk number selection thing, had a horror of wiping the wrong disk.  Discovered the diskpart detail option that gave me the drive letter for the disk, which gave me the comfort I needed to proceed.  So now, one more time, I am running Ghost on the cleaned and formatted disk to see what happens!!  It takes forever to fail, so I won't know until late in the afternoon.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 1:38pm

Off topic but some further instructions on Diskpart. You can change the OS partition size by running Diskpart from a Vista/Win7 DVD or from a WinPE CD.

list volume (shows all the partitions, on all the HDs. Each has a number. The Win7 DVD is Volume 0)
select volume 1 (selects my Win7 partition)
list volume (for confirmation. There will be a Star next to the selected volume)
shrink desired=5000 (the 5000 refers to how many MB will be removed from the partition size)
extend size=6000 (the 6000 refers to how many MB will be added to the partition size)
extend (the partition will fill the unallocated space following the partition)

Some limitations. If the partition includes unmovable files (such as the page file or the shadow copy storage area), the volume will shrink to the point where the unmovable files are located. Diskpart can't Slide (Move) a partition.

Hint.. when booting from a Win7 DVD press Shift F10 at the "Install now" screen to get a command prompt.

IP Logged

Scamper
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 6:47pm

Brian wrote on Nov 9th, 2011 at 1:26pm:
Just to add to NightOwl's list, you can use the "clean" command in Diskpart to zero the First Track on that USB HD.

1. Plug in your USB HD (to Win7 computer)

2. Open a command prompt as administrator (Right click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”

3. Find the drive number of your USB HD by typing the following into the Command Prompt window:

diskpart
      list disk

The number of your USB drive will be listed. You’ll need this for the next step. I’ll assume that the USB HD is disk 2.

4. Format the drive by typing the following instructions into the same window. Replace the number “2” with the number of your disk.

list disk    (already done)
      select disk 2
      list disk    (to confirm. There will be a Star next to the selected disk)
      clean
      create partition primary
      select partition 1
      active
      format fs=NTFS quick
      assign
      exit

D Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cool
HEY, ALL, THIS WORKED, WOO-HOO!  Ghost 10 just finished the backup successfully with verify turned on and ignore bad sectors turned off - the first time since I started this process.  THANKS A BUNCH, YOU GUYS ROCK!! Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:53pm

@
Scamper

Excellent news.

NightOwl, good call.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #23 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 12:57am

@
Brian

Hey, beers all around!

As I said, *a long shot* suggestion--wish I had some specific reason for what happened to that HDD--but.....apparently it's working now.

Thanks for the DiskPart info.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #24 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 8:46am

@
Scamper

Congratulations on your follow through on troubleshooting your HDD problem!

Saved you $100 on replacing a bad HDD, but I can't help you with the $1000 worth of lost personal time put in to find a solution--oh, the joys of playing with computers!!!!

I guess you have to chock it up to a *learning experience*, and now you know more about HDDs than you probably ever wanted to!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print