Welcome, Guest. Please Login
 
  HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Logging in "for keeps" expires (Read 11324 times)
Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Logging in "for keeps" expires
Nov 14th, 2011 at 2:04am
 
After a period of time (days I think), do everyone have to log out and relog in to be able to do the "moderating stuff" and to modify their own posts?
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 

NightOwl
Radministrator
*****
Offline


"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Posts: 5801
Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 8:13am
 
@
Christer

Quote:
do everyone have to log out and re login to be able to do the "moderating stuff" and to modify their own posts?

The only time I have had to re-log-in is if I was on one computer (logged in) and then log-in from another computer as well.  This causes your first computer log-in to become *invalid*--but, when you return to that first computer--it still says you are logged-in, but, you do not have any *user privileges* on that computer until you re-validate your log in on that first computer.

Are you using more than one computer?
 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !
 
IP Logged
 
Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:56am
 
Quote:
Are you using more than one computer?

Usually, all my deeds from my home computer but it happens on rare occasions that I use another computer.

Edited:

Now, I had to log out and relog in to modify this post. It is "hours" not "days". (I could make a new post but not modifiy it.)
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 
MrMagoo
Übermensch
*****
Offline


Resident Linux Guru

Posts: 1026
Phoenix, AZ (USA)


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:56pm
 
My experience is similar to NightOwl's.  If I login "for keeps" I can read posts, start new topics, and reply pretty much forever.  I can also modify, delete, split, etc until I log in through a different computer.  The second login seems to make me loose my moderator privileges on the first.  If I log out and log back in on the first computer, my privileges come back but they are then gone on the second computer.
 
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:30am
 
MrMagoo,
what you describe is what I would find logical but not so on my system. This morning my "privileges" had not been reduced (can post, modify and moderate) like they had been yesterday morning (could post but neither modify nor moderate). Let's see what happens tomorrow morning.

By the way, I almost always boot XP so it can not be booting W7 "every second time" (I guess that would have been seen as a different computer).
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 
NightOwl
Radministrator
*****
Offline


"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Posts: 5801
Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 9:49am
 
@
Christer

Quote:
I almost always boot XP so it can not be booting W7 "every second time" (I guess that would have been seen as a different computer).

Yes, booting to another OS (even on the same machine) would represent a *different computer*.  There might be a way to set up your browser to use the same shared directory from either OS for cookies and stored browser files--but, I'm not sure if that's doable or not--and if the validation process will accept the forum cookie check from two different OS's as still being from the same source or not.

The forum software uses *cookies* to store what system you have logged in from--if the cookie's *credentials* does not match what the forum's validation expects, then you are *downgraded* as far as your privileges are concerned until you re-validate your password.  So, unless you can share the same cookies, as mentioned above, by the browser on each OS, then the cookies are stored separately and not seen as being from the *same system*!

Quote:
This morning my "privileges" had not been reduced (can post, modify and moderate) like they had been yesterday morning (could post but neither modify nor moderate)

Do you have any security or cleaning program running in the background that is deleting or modifying your cookies in some way?  Usually you can manually over-ride such programs to leave certain cookies alone so you don't loose their functionality.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !
 
IP Logged
 

Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 10:06am
 
NightOwl,
since I hardly ever use W7, the associated "problems" are a rare occurrence.

I use no cleaners, neither do I clear the browser cash when closing.
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 
NightOwl
Radministrator
*****
Offline


"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Posts: 5801
Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 10:07am
 
@
Christer

Quote:
I use no cleaners, neither do I clear the browser cash when closing.

You probably don't--but, by any chance are you using more than one browser on the same system?  And are you switching browsers?

Maybe you have a setting on your browser that is somehow effecting the handling of your cookies.

Another possibility--do you close your browser--go do other things--and then open your browser again.  In this process, does your IP address change--i.e. does your internet service provider assign a new IP each time you re-open your browser?  (Your IP address that is logged by the forum software is shown after your name in the list of *Online Users* down at the bottom of the main page .  I've not paid any attention to that, but I'm grasping at straws now!

Do any other sites that require a password and a cookie that's necessary to *stay logged-in* without re-entering the password show a similar issue of being *logged out* without you having logged out?

If you use Win7 on this system--does this same behavior happen?

You seem to have a unique issue--I've never had that problem--and no one else has reported a similar issue--unless they have logged in from a different computer and then gone back to the first computer.
 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !
 
IP Logged
 
Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 2:34am
 
NightOwl,

Quote:
You probably don't--but, by any chance are you using more than one browser on the same system?  And are you switching browsers?

IE8 only - no switching.

Quote:
Maybe you have a setting on your browser that is somehow effecting the handling of your cookies.

As far as I remember, default settings.

Quote:
Another possibility--do you close your browser--go do other things--and then open your browser again.  In this process, does your IP address change--i.e. does your internet service provider assign a new IP each time you re-open your browser?

I can't tell for sure but I think the IP-address is static. Maybe it changes but not between sessions.

Quote:
Do any other sites that require a password and a cookie that's necessary to *stay logged-in* without re-entering the password show a similar issue of being *logged out* without you having logged out?

It has happened on other sites but not on a regular basis like on RADIFIED.

I'm a moderator on Windows BBS and it requests that I verify myself from time to time by reentering the password (to let me moderate) but that's different.

Quote:
If you use Win7 on this system--does this same behavior happen?

I don't know and it would be difficult to test since I must boot to XP every day. (I use older applications which don't work with W7.)

Quote:
You seem to have a unique issue--I've never had that problem--and no one else has reported a similar issue--unless they have logged in from a different computer and then gone back to the first computer.

Don't put too much time into this issue. I can live with it.

(This morning, I still had all privileges - post, modifiy, moderate.)
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 
NightOwl
Radministrator
*****
Offline


"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Posts: 5801
Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:53am
 
@
Christer

Quote:
I can't tell for sure but I think the IP-address is static. Maybe it changes but not between sessions.

Was looking at the *Admin* section of the forum, brought up the Help files and here's what it says:

Quote:
Sessions are a YaBB feature designed to protect administrative functions. If sessions are enabled in the Admin Center, staff will be required to revalidate their session whenever their network connection changes IP address.

To revalidate your session, simply click "Update Session" on the YaBB main menu at the top of the forum. If this link isn't present, then your session doesn't need to be updated.

By default, it asks you for your Password to revalidate.

So, as I guessed earlier, it's based on the IP address that the forum logs when you log in.

So, check your IP address that should be listed after your name on the main page when you are logged in.  Write it down, and the next time you have to re-validate your log in, again check that IP address.  Is it changing?
 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !
 
IP Logged
 
Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 12:59pm
 
Quote:
So, check your IP address that should be listed after your name on the main page when you are logged in.  Write it down, and the next time you have to re-validate your log in, again check that IP address.  Is it changing?

I will check. (I have been away a few days but I am still logged in with full privileges.)
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 

Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 2:49am
 
This morning I had been downgraded. No IP-addresses were displayed until I had logged out and relogged in. My IP-address had changed! Nothing I can do about it but now I know why I get downgraded.

So, NightOwl, your middle name should be "Hercule" after Agatha Christies character "Poirot".
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 
NightOwl
Radministrator
*****
Offline


"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Posts: 5801
Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 10:28pm
 
@
Christer

Quote:
your middle name should be "Hercule" after Agatha Christies character "Poirot".

That's a great TV mystery program--we get it on our PBS (Public Broadcast System) here in the USA.

Quote:
Nothing I can do about it....

Ah, but the *mystery* has not been solved!  Why is your IP address changing? 

Did that behavior just begin recently--or has it always been doing that?

Have you contacted your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if it's something they have just started?

I think your system can be programmed to *renew* your IP address' *lease*--and it may be during that renewal that your IP changes.  Again, maybe your ISP has (re)programed your modem to behave differently than before.
 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !
 
IP Logged
 
Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 2:33am
 
NightOwl,

Quote:
Why is your IP address changing?

I have no idea, didn't think it was changing and it seems to be changing at random.

Quote:
Did that behavior just begin recently--or has it always been doing that?

It has been doing it since I started using my new build in january 2011 but I think it was before that. The old build had the same programs installed, "only" the hardware and drivers changed.

Quote:
Have you contacted your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if it's something they have just started?

No, I haven't but I will.

Quote:
I think your system can be programmed to *renew* your IP address' *lease*--and it may be during that renewal that your IP changes.  Again, maybe your ISP has (re)programed your modem to behave differently than before.

I don't have a "modem", only a "splitter" to get 4 connectors for internet and 2 connectors for a phone line.

(This morning, the IP-address had changed.)
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 
Christer
Übermensch
*****
Offline



Posts: 1283
Sweden


Back to top
Re: Logging in "for keeps" expires
Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 2:48am
 
One additional thought:

The behaviour is specific to RADIFIED. On other fora, my privileges don't get reduced by/because of an IP-address change. On RADIFIED it is like I'm being logged off but not really ... Huh ... if you understand what I mean.
 

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print