Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making a 1TB USB Drive bootable with Ghost? (Read 9257 times)
TSR
N00b

I Love Radified!

Making a 1TB USB Drive bootable with Ghost?
Dec 29th, 2011 at 4:38pm

I have to frequent multiple client sites and I've carried 1 USB drive in the past to all of these sites to Ghost client laptops.

It was a 250GB drive; made bootable with the Ghost Boot Wizard and then I had a folder on the drive that had all of my various images (my client uses approx 10 different laptop models; and then each may have either XP or Win7 on it; so I have around 20 images).  Very handy.

That drive has died so I went and bought a 1TB today.  I've tried multiple times to make it bootable with the Ghost Boot Wizard (using Ghost 11.5) but every time, it formats the drive to only 163GB in size (which is odd since it wouldn't adjust the size of the previous 250GB drive; it was 232GB after the process).

What can I do to get the maximum size of the drive (about 930GB); but still have it as a bootable Ghost drive?

I've found programs that will format it with Fat32 to the full size limit of the drive; but then I'm not sure how to make that bootable.  I've followed many tutorials online, but none have been working for me (and still keep that 900+GB drive size).

any help would be appreciated!

PS - I've booted multiple laptops using a smaller 4GB thumb drive while having the larger, 1TB drive plugged in as well and gotten into Ghost (which is running from the 4GB drive).  But Ghost never sees that 1TB drive as available in the drive drop down menu.  I'm guessing because it can't support two USB drives at once in PC DOS boot?

I'm also happy to have partitions, but any of the programs I've used seem to want to format the whole drive to make it bootable instead of just a partition, which is frustrating.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Making a 1TB USB Drive bootable with Ghost?
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 5:37pm

@
TSR

NightOwl is the DOS Ghost expert. I know this works with a HD smaller than 1 TB. Try it and see....

Create two partitions on the HD. An 8 MB FAT16 and the remainder NTFS. Install DOS into the FAT partition and make it Active. Copy ghost.exe to the FAT partition. Put the HD in a USB enclosure and it will boot into DOS.

Or you could have a single NTFS partition, install grub4DOS, copy a DOS ISO (containing ghost.exe) to the HD and you will be able to boot into DOS and see Ghost images on the same HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 6:30pm

I just tried the grub4DOS method. Easy. I created an image to the grub4DOS HD and restored it to the original internal HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 1:16am

I like the grub4DOS external HD. You can use a big ISO containing all your DOS tools as well as a Choice menu to do Ghost images and restores on your various computers. Automation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print