Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
an NTFS volume with a log file that has not been flushed (Read 33709 times)
wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

an NTFS volume with a log file that has not been flushed
Dec 30th, 2011 at 6:37am

i keep getting this error message.

an NTFS volume with a log file that has not been flushed

i am trying to do a peer to peer disk to image using ghost 11.5

help please

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: an NTFS volume with a log file that has not been flushed
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 1:23am

@
wp

Quote:
i am trying to do a peer to peer disk to image using ghost 11.5

So, are you booting to DOS to use Ghost 11.5?  And then using a network to send an image from one computer to another?

Quote:

Is there an error # listed?

Does this sound like your situation?:

Warning: "Encountered an NTFS volume with a logfile that has not been flushed (536)" after taking an image

I had a similar error message some time back.  I did an Image Integrity Check and the Image File passed.  So I just moved on, and the next time I did an image that message did not re-occur.

According to the above Symantec FAQ, it did not sound like a major concern. 

But, you state that you *keep getting this error*--that can be distressing for sure!  Anything unusual about how you are shutting down your system?  Is your system having *Blue Screen of Death* issues where it's crashing and not shutting down normally?

Does this happen only when doing the *peer to peer* imaging?  If you do a local backup--still getting the error?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:49am

thank you for the reply.

an NTFS volume with a log file that has not been flushed.

i am trying to do a peer to peer disk to image using ghost 11.5 ( ghost.exe 3.76 )

I rebooted and tried again.  same error.  I ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /? showed no error but when I tried to make image, got not flushed error again.

ww

> booting to DOS to use Ghost 11.5?  And then using a network to send an image from one computer to another?

No, I am not booting to DOS to use Ghost 11.5.

I have done it sucessfully several times before.  I have ghost.exe 3.76 MB on my desktop of an xp machine and win 7 machine.

And then I am trying to use my peer to peer network to send an image to another computer.

there was an error # but I did not write it down.

it sounds like Warning: "Encountered an NTFS volume with a logfile that has not been flushed (536)" after taking an image

> Does this happen only when doing the *peer to peer* imaging?  If you do a local backup--still getting the error?

I removed the hard drive and installed it in the machine with my other ghost 11.5 images, but I get same error message when I try to create a disk image.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:53am

thank you for the reply.

an NTFS volume with a log file that has not been flushed.

i am trying to do a peer to peer disk to image using ghost 11.5 ( ghost.exe 3.76 )

I rebooted and tried again.  same error.  I ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /? showed no error but when I tried to make image, got not flushed error again.

ww

> booting to DOS to use Ghost 11.5?  And then using a network to send an image from one computer to another?

I have done it sucessfully several times before.  I have ghost.exe 3.76 MB on my desktop of an xp machine and win 7 machine.

And then I am trying to use my peer to peer network to send an image to another computer.

there was an error # but I did not write it down.

it sounds like Warning: "Encountered an NTFS volume with a logfile that has not been flushed (536)" after taking an image

> Does this happen only when doing the *peer to peer* imaging?  If you do a local backup--still getting the error?

I removed the hard drive and installed it in the machine with my other ghost 11.5 images, but I get same error message when I try to create a disk image.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:49am

@
wp

Quote:

So, you're using Ghost 11.5's *32 bit* Windows program--i.e. *ghost32.exe* to run Ghost 11.5 in Windows--and then creating an image to send to another computer also running Windows and another instance of Ghost32 on the second machine.

Or, is it even necessary to have Ghost32 running on the *destination* computer--do you only need the other machine to be running Windows?  When I played around with *peer-to-peer* Ghosting, it was with Ghost 2003, which is totally DOS based--Windows was not running in the background on either machine--and you had to boot each machine to DOS and DOS Ghost had to be up and running, and one machine had to be designated as the *master*--i.e. the source of the image file, and the other had to be the *slave*--i.e. the destination for the image file.

Quote:

Have you tried making a *local* backup on more than one computer?  Do you get that same error message on a different machine?

Quote:
there was an error # but I did not write it down

and

Quote:
I removed the hard drive and installed it in the machine with my other ghost 11.5 images, but I get same error message when I try to create a disk image

So, all the reported problems and tests were done sometime in the past--and you have not done anything recently?

Did the error message stop you from creating an image, or was it a reported message after the image creation?  Did you do an *Image Integrity Check* after creating the image?

If you were able to create the image before receiving the error message, and the image file passes an *Integrity Check*, you could do a test by restoring that image to the original computer to see if it works as expected (I would put a spare HDD in the destination machine to test--rather than risk corruption of my currently in use HDD--if for some reason the restore goes badly).

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 3:42pm

Thank you for the reply.

I don't know how to do an integrity check. Can you point me in the right direction ?

The workaround I have been using is to remove the hard drive I want to clone to another computer and do a Local disk to disk clone.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 12:15pm

Over the years, with more than one version of Ghost, if I get any error message while running Ghost, I stop immediately, boot back into windows and run
Chkdsk /r/f
to make sure any errors on the drive are taken care of.  Then run Ghost again.
* You really don't want to try to make an image of a drive with errors on it.  Not Good!

I strongly suggest that you run Ghost 11.5 from either a Bootable CD or Flash Drive.
Take Window completely out of the equation.
That would be "Ghost.exe" (DOS Version) and not "Ghost32.exe" (windows Version).

Just a suggestion from an old time Ghost user. (15 years now)

Cheers Mate!
Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print