Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Corrupt Ghost 12 Recovery Disk (Read 6463 times)
DAB
N00b

I Love Radified!

Kingston, ON

Corrupt Ghost 12 Recovery Disk
Jan 3rd, 2012 at 9:03am

Using Ghost 12 on WIN XP SP3 on two Tecra laptops.

For several years my bu strategy was to bu laptop #1 to an external HDD. Using that Ghost bu, restore to laptop #2, so that bu data is now in 2 locations. [laptop #1 is exactly the same configuration, make & model as laptop #2]
Yesterday. after bu using Ghost to external HDD, I attempted to start laptop #2 using the System Recovery Disk (SRD) on CD. The laptop booted up per usual, showed me the license agreement, gave me the 1st window where you choose "Recover My Computer" but when you click "NEXT", everything freezes and you have to re-boot. Tried several times on BOTH laptops & got the same result, so I assume that the CD is now faulty.
I can not find the original CDs and am wondering if there is anywhere I can dl the ISO  image of the SRD. Program CD is OK but can not find anywhere on there re: how to make an SRD.

Any help would be appreciated

TIA
Doug

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Corrupt Ghost 12 Recovery Disk
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:22am

@
DAB

I'm not a Ghost 12 user, so I can't help specifically--but I am not sure I understand what you have posted so far--so I'll ask some questions for clarification:

Quote:
I can not find the original CDs

and

Program CD is OK

Could you explain what *original CDs* means--I would normally consider the *program* CD the one you got when you purchased the program and installed it--but, I also consider that CD the *original CD* as well.

Quote:
I attempted to start laptop #2 using the System Recovery Disk (SRD) on CD

Is this the recovery CD that was created by Ghost 12?

I was not aware that one could boot to the Ghost SRD and do a *cold* backup with Ghost 12.  The most recent change to Ghost that I'm aware of is that they have add *cold* backup ability to Ghost 15--but that was lacking since Ghost 9.

Are you backing up just certain specific *data* sub-directories or files--as opposed to backing up a *whole* OS partition or data partition? 

Quote:
but can not find anywhere on there re: how to make an SRD

Do you have Ghost 12 installed on your system?  If the SRD is the Ghost recovery disc, I think you have a menu item in the Ghost interface for creating a recovery disc.  *Help* files on the installed Ghost program should explain the steps.

Quote:
For several years my bu strategy was to bu laptop #1 to an external HDD. Using that Ghost bu, restore to laptop #2, so that bu data is now in 2 locations

If you're backing up just *data* and not the whole OS for *recovery*--just to have a second copy--seems like there should be *syncing* software that might accomplish that task more efficiently--or are you doing a whole OS partition backup and restoring it to the second laptop? 

The terminology you're using makes it unclear as to exactly what is being done.

So, until someone who knows more about Ghost 12 shows up--answering the above questions will help make answering our inquiry easier.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 4:47pm

Doug also posted in another forum. He tried a different CD, Ghost 15, with the same result. The answer was a "bad" USB mouse.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 1:18am

@
Brian

Thanks for letting us know.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print