Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Floppy Batch Formula Needed (Read 18058 times)
Big_Al
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles

Ghost Floppy Batch Formula Needed
Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:14pm

January 3, 2012

Dear Forum,

First, Happy New Year to everybody.

What I need help on is a batch file that I can put on a floppy that can

execute a Ghost.exe DOS file that is on the G:\ Drive.

A little background:

1. I've been using Ghost since version 5 back in 1995.

2. I've always used a Ghost boot floppy with an Autoexec.bat file

to do my bidding.

3. I got a hold of Ghost Corporate v7.5 and THAT worked great with

my Ghost floppy sets to:

Make to HDD
Make to CD
Make to HDD And CD
CRC Check HDD Image
CRC Check CD Image
Restore From HDD
Restore From CD

Whatever I wanted to do, I just popped in the appropriate floppy and

turned my computer on and Ghost did its thing.

The above worked with my Windows 98SE box, but my new Windows 7

box doesn't "play nice" with Ghost Corporate v7.5 but is OK with

Ghost v11.5.  BUT, v11.5 is 2262 KB's so I'm FORCED to go the

"Bootable CD" or "Bootable USB" Thumb Drive route.

I just want to keep it via floppies!

This is how I'm presently set up on my 98SE box for making

an image file of C:, putting it on my HDD and then CRC checking the

image:

@echo off
GhostCE.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=G:\01_Ghost\Newest.gho -z3 -fx -sure
GhostCE.exe -chkimg,G:\01_Ghost\Newest.gho -sure

Soooo, what I want to do is put the Ghost v11.5 DOS exe in

a folder on the G:\ Drive and have the boot floppy run an Autoexec.bat

file to go to it and do what I want it to do, be it Make to HDD or CRC

Check CD Image, etc...

The folder I made is G:\!-Ghost and I named the Ghost file

Ghost115.exe.

After a BUNCH of experimentation I tried---

@echo off
G:
CD \!-Ghost
Autoexec.bat

and it CRC checked a file, but then the next time I got "Bad command or file name".

I even tried going with...

@echo off
G:
CD \!-Ghost
Ghost115.exe

just to get to the Ghost screen.

NO joy!

Can anyone come up with a batch file to give me what I need????

Thanks in advance.

Big Al

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost Floppy Batch Formula Needed
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 11:42pm

@
Big_Al

Do you have...

G:
CD \!-Ghost
Ghost115.exe

... inside your autoexec.bat?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 4:45am

Big_Al wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:14pm:
I even tried going with...

@echo off
G:
CD \!-Ghost
Ghost115.exe

just to get to the Ghost screen.

NO joy!

Forget about the batch file until you resolve the proper commands to put in the script.  What happens when you enter each command independently?  That should help you isolate which of those commands is failing.

Quote:
@echo off
G:
CD \!-Ghost
Autoexec.bat

and it CRC checked a file, but then the next time I got "Bad command or file name".

Same advice: step through the commands one at a time.  I'm assuming the file "g:\!-Ghost\autoexec.bat" exists.  If not, that's the cause of the "Bad command or file name" error.  If that file does exist, then the "Bad command" error could be the result of one of the commands inside the autoexec.bat script.  Again, stepping through each command in that script, one by one, should reveal which command is generating the "Bad command" error.

What is your G: drive?  Is it an external drive?  Or is it a partition on an internal drive?  How did you determine it's G:?  Keep in mind that drive letters have meaning only within the context of the specific OS instance being booted.  What Windows calls G: may not be the same as what DOS would call G:.  And unlike Windows, DOS does not "remember" drive letters from one boot to the next, so if the layout of disks and partitions changes from one boot to the next your DOS drive letters can move around.

Which DOS version are you booting?  Does it support the size of the disk(s) you have installed?

IP Logged

Big_Al
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 12:12am

January 4, 2012

Dear Forum,

A bit of background and mini-update...

1 TB HDD with the following

C: 75 Gigs NTFS   Windows 7 64 Bit

D: 25 Gigs NTFS   Program Files

E: 15 Gigs NTFS

F: 600 Gigs Fat32

G: 30 Gigs Fat32  Ghost Images

H: to M: various sizes all Fat32.

Z: is my DVD Burner (1st thing I always do on an install is set CD\DVD to Z)

I built a "Standard Ghost Bootable CD/DVD--on Steroids" from NightOwl

I added the ahci.sys file, for Ghost to see SATA CD\DVD drives from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en...

and added this line in the config.sys file:

device=ahci.sys /d:nightowl

I added an Autoexec. bat file with this in it:

@echo off
Ghost115.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho -z3 -fx -sure
Ghost115.exe -chkimg,1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho -sure

and booting from the DVD in the BIOS, Ghost made an image of my C: drive, CRC checked

(or Verified) it and put it into my G:'s 01_Ghost folder.

So, at least half of the problem is solved, but getting a FLOPPY to trigger

the Autoexec.bat in the !-Ghost folder is still in need of solving.

Big Al

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 1:49am

@
Big_Al

It's very hard to know what's going on when there is only *parts* of the puzzle given!

Could you post an actual copy of your DOS boot files--*config.sys* and *autoexec.bat*--so the entire boot sequence is revealed?

Big_Al wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 12:12am:

I added the ahci.sys file, for Ghost to see SATA CD\DVD drives from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en....

and added this line in the config.sys file:

device=ahci.sys /d:nightowl

I added an Autoexec. bat file with this in it:

@echo off
Ghost115.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho -z3 -fx -sure

and booting from the DVD in the BIOS, Ghost made an image of my C: drive, CRC checked

(or Verified) it and put it into my G:'s 01_Ghost folder.

So, building my "Standard Ghost Bootable CD/DVD--on Steroids" is not possible using Ghost 11.5--it's too big for the 1.44 MB hidden boot sector of a bootable CD.  Even adding the *ahci.sys* and using Ghost 2003 may not work if that *ahci.sys* file is bigger than the *oakcdrom.exe* that it should be replacing!

Where is your Ghost 11.5 program?  Your command lines for Ghost do not point to a location to call that program--that DOS syntax you're using would default to the boot drive--and for a bootable CD it would be the A:\ drive.  Again, the A:\ drive would be limited to the 1.44 MB limit of a floppy disk unless you have made significant changes to *my boot CD* and how it's created and saved to the CD!

1 TB HDD with the following

C: 75 Gigs NTFS Windows 7 64 Bit

D: 25 Gigs NTFS Program Files

E: 15 Gigs NTFS

F: 600 Gigs Fat32

G: 30 Gigs Fat32Ghost Images

H: to M: various sizes all Fat32.

When booted to DOS, none of the NTFS partitions will be seen by DOS (unless you load a program that can access NTFS partitions, and make it available to DOS--but, that's a separate driver to load).  But Ghost can see the NTFS partitions once you load the Ghost program.  But, the drive letters will not exist in DOS the way they show up in Windows.

So, your C:\, D:\, and E:\ will not be assigned a DOS drive letter.

Your F:\ will be the first DOS FAT32 partition seen by DOS and it will be given C:\ in DOS.

Your G:\ will be the second DOS FAT32 partition seen by DOS and it will be given D:\ in DOS.

Big_Al wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:14pm:
The folder I made is G:\!-Ghost and I named the Ghost file Ghost115.exe.

(Just as a side note, personally, I would not use *special characters* for DOS files or folders names--I would stick to letters and numbers only--never know when a special character in Windows won't show up in DOS!)

When you boot from a floppy, in DOS, unless you tell DOS otherwise, it is assumed that a command refers to the floppy drive A:\ .  So, based on your first post, having put Ghost 11.5 in your Windows *G:\!-Ghost*, in DOS that should now be *D:\!-Ghost*.

Your command line:

Quote:

should be looking for Ghost115.exe on the floppy disk A:\ -- unless you have used the DOS command to change to a different drive (which you did--but changing to G:\, once booted to DOS, would be your Windows J:\ partition which apparently exists based on your report of partitions on the HDD), but the *!-Ghost* directory would not exist on J:\--so your *cd !-Ghost* is likely where the bad DOS command error is coming from!

You can use DOS commands to change the *focus* of the DOS prompt to *D:\!-Ghost* using:

Code:
D:
cd !-Ghost

and then running the command lines as shown above. 

Or you could simply put the path to *D:\!-Ghost* in the command lines:

Code:
D:\!-Ghost\Ghost115.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho -z3 -fx -sure
D:\!-Ghost\Ghost115.exe -chkimg,1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho -sure

By the way, if you press F8 just as DOS begins to load after the initial system *beep*, you will get a menu that allows you to select a *step-by-step* confirmation of each command line in your boot files of config.sys and autoexec.bat--this allows you to see each step and any messages or errors associated with that command before going to the next command line.

Let us know if this helps.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 9:22pm

NightOwl and I are on the same page here, and looking for the same missing information.

I'm not sure DOS is seeing a "G" drive letter, and NightOwl is trying to guess what it might be seeing (re: "Your G:\ will be the second DOS FAT32 partition seen by DOS and it will be given D:\ in DOS").  The exact assignment sequence depends on the particular complement of hard disks, primary partitions, and extended/logical partitions.  Reply #3 seems to imply there is only one hard disk, which simplifies some of the possibilities.  We still don't know which are primary partitions, and there is a known bug in MS-DOS when you have more than one primary partition per disk.

I, too, raised an eyebrow at the use of special chars in the directory name, and that's part of why I wanted to clarify which DOS version is being used.  There's an outside chance an oddball DOS version could interpret the special chars to mean something special.  The DOS version could also affect whether a secondary autoexec.bat file on a distant FAT32 partition (the Ghost partition) is accessible or not.

BTW, at this point we don't even know that the CD/DVD drive is being recognized by DOS.  We know Big_Al put the HP driver in config.sys, but there's no mention of mscdex, and nothing he's mentioned yet suggests he's actually reading anything off the CD/DVD other than its boot image (the virtual "A" drive).  Remember, you don't need a driver to get to the virtual "A" boot image, and Big_Al's "successful" autoexec.bat would have actually be on that virtual "A" boot image, not on the "CD files" part of the CD. 

OTOH, Big_Al is trying to develop a floppy, so whether or not he can read a CD is tangential and kind of immaterial anyway.

I still say step through the commands, one by one.  Delete or disable the floppy's autoexec.bat, boot from the floppy, and you should be left at an "A:>" prompt.  Then enter each command, one at a time, and see what happens.  What happens when you type "G: [enter]"?  Or "D: [enter]"?  What happens when you type "cd !-Ghost [enter]"?

NightOwl wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 1:49am:
your *cd !-Ghost* is likely where the bad DOS command error is coming from

I don't think so.  CD'ing to a non-existent directory with MS-DOS should generate an "invalid directory" error.  "Bad command" means you're trying to launch a command (an .exe, .com, or .bat file) that DOS can't find.

(FTR, I'm assuming we're not dealing with a DOS 137GB limitation because he's got SATA drives.  IMHE, anything with SATA is modern enough to not have the 137GB limitation.)

IP Logged

Big_Al
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:33pm

January 5, 2012

>Could you post an actual copy of your DOS boot files--*config.sys* and *autoexec.bat*

Config.sys:

device=ahci.sys /D:Big_Al_C
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:Big_Al_C
lastdrive=z
-------------------------------------------
Autoexec.bat:

@echo off

Complete contents of my bootcdp1.ima file:

http://img268.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=18121_bootcdp1.imaContents_122_556lo....

Notice-NO MOUSE.  I don't need it, as this is a HANDS OFF Ghost C: drive image creation.

I just used UltraISO v7.2.2 Media Edition to delete the mouse, Autoexec.bat and

Config.sys.  I then replaced the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys with the ones above,

again with UltraISO.

>the 1.44 MB hidden boot sector of a bootable CD.

You are 1000% right, that is why I use "Cheetah CD Burner v4.15" and select "2.88"

http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=18514_CheetahCDBurnerv4.152.88MBFlopp...

>Where is your Ghost 11.5 program?  http://img268 shows you.

Night, I think the reason you are puzzled over my bootcdp1.ima file is because

I did something a bit out of your instructions.  When you said "In WinImage, select

'File|New' , in the 'Format selection' dialog box, click 1.44 MB, then click 'OK'"

I clicked "2.88".

In essence, I can take your "Stock" bootcdp1.ima file, open it with UltraISO,

add whatever version of Ghost I want, substitute (or edit) the Autoexec.bat and

Config.sys to do what I want to do.

Where your "Stocker" was a MANUAL operation of Ghost (hence the mouse), by

changing to my custom Autoexec.bat, I made it automatic.

AND by adding the DOS "Shutdown.exe" from http://www.box.com/shared/fcc6cam8x8

the computer will, well, shutdown by itself.  The only problem is that you HAVE

to remember to pop the CD out after Ghost starts doing whatever chore you tell it

to or you're gonna get into a loop!

If I can't solve this "Floppy" problem, I'll just make 9 CD's for the various

Ghost operations---Make, Check, Restore, etc.. and use those.  BUT, I HATE the

"go into BIOS and change to CD boot, do the job, reboot go into the BIOS again,

change to HDD boot" crap.  It's a pain compared to....

"Pop in the proper floppy, turn on the computer and walk away"

>@echo off
>D:
>CD !-Ghost
>Ghost115.exe -chkimg,1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho-1 -sure

Got me:
Invalid drive spec
Invalid directory

>@echo off
>D:\!-Ghost\Ghost115.exe -chkimg,1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho-1 -sure

Got me:
Invalid drive spec

Took your advice and changed !-Ghost to 001_Ghost:

@echo off
D:
CD \001_Ghost
Ghost115.exe

Got me:
Invalid drive spec
Invalid directory

>if you press F8 just as DOS begins

I got so much thrown at me I got dizzy, sorry.

By the way, using a Win 98SE boot floppy, at the A prompt I typed

D
Bad Command

D:
Invalid drive spec

D:\
Invalid drive spec

D:\>
Invalid drive spec

Same with the rest of the alphabet!

Big Al

IP Logged

Big_Al
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:04pm

Dan,

>which are primary partitions

I used EaseUS Partition Master Pro v9.0 and made C: the primary partition

at 75 Gigs.  The balance was set as extended partition and then D: to M:'s

were set as logicals of the extended partition.

>I, too, raised an eyebrow at the use of special chars in the directory name

Changed to 001_Ghost, still no joy.

>clarify which DOS version is being used

All of my DOS files are from a Windows 98SE made "Startup Disk" from my "Control

Panel-->Add/Remove Programs-->Startup Disk".

>BTW, at this point we don't even know that the CD/DVD drive is being recognized by DOS.

>but there's no mention of mscdex

http://img268.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=18121_bootcdp1.imaContents_122_556lo....

When I loaded my "Manual Ghost CD" and dropped the tree, I showed both the "@" DVD

and the DVD with the Manual CD in it, even though they were the same DVD burner.

Big Al

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 1:13am

@
Big_Al

Yikes!  Those are unexpected results.  But to the mundane first....

Big_Al wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:33pm:
Night, I think the reason you are puzzled over my bootcdp1.ima file is because....

you said this:

without mentioning this:

I did something a bit out of your instructions

I'm very aware of the option to use a non-1.44 MB boot sector.  But, when I wrote my *how-to*, I could not find any optical disc authoring software that allowed for burning the 2.88 MB boot sector except the *full paid* versions of Nero and Roxio--expensive at $50 to $70.  So I decided not to make that part of what I was going to publish.  Haven't looked recently to see if there are newer, better, free options!

But, that explains why you had success with your autoexec.bat command lines--DOS assumed that the default drive was the A:\ drive and that in fact was where you have the Ghost 11.5 exe file.

Big_Al wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:04pm:
>BTW, at this point we don't even know that the CD/DVD drive is being recognized by DOS.

>but there's no mention of mscdex

When I loaded my "Manual Ghost CD" and dropped the tree, I showed both the "@" DVD

and the DVD with the Manual CD in it

Okay, you have *mscdex* in the list of files that you have included in the 2.88 MB boot sector, but unless you have a command line in autoexec.bat that loads the *mscdex* driver, then no DOS drive letter will be assigned to your optical drive--and you will not be able to access data from it from the DOS prompt! 

But, you have to load Ghost to see the *@ DVD*  which means that Ghost's built-in optical drive drivers have recognized your optical writer as one it can write to optical media on.

I'm not sure, but I think Ghost 11.5 can also access an optical disc and read data from it (i.e. a ghost image file) without using the MS-DOS *mscdex.exe* driver being loaded--but, again that's only after you load Ghost--you can not access data on the optical disc in DOS unless DOS has assigned it a DOS drive letter.

Good start--but, DOS only likes the eight-dot-three syntax (maximum of eight characters, a period and 3 character extension)--anything except *long file names*!  Unfortunately you have chosen 9 characters--need to try *01_Ghost* or *Gho115*.  However, until you can access a FAT32 partition using a DOS drive letter, the file name is immaterial!

Leading up to:

>@echo off
>D:
>CD !-Ghost
>Ghost115.exe -chkimg,1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho-1 -sure

Got me:
Invalid drive specInvalid directory

>@echo off
>D:\!-Ghost\Ghost115.exe -chkimg,1:5\01_Ghost\Newest.gho-1 -sure

Got me:
Invalid drive spec

@echo off
D:
CD \001_Ghost
Ghost115.exe

Got me:
Invalid drive specInvalid directory

>if you press F8 just as DOS begins

I got so much thrown at me I got dizzy, sorry.

By the way, using a Win 98SE boot floppy, at the A prompt I typed
D
Bad Command

D:
Invalid drive spec
D:\
Invalid drive spec

D:\>
Invalid drive spec

Same with the rest of the alphabet!

Something is way wrong with these results!

You have installed Win7 on this machine at this point--correct? 

Boot to Win7, go into *Disk Management* and and re-check that all the partitions you said are FAT32 and make sure that they all say that.  Or, you can open Windows Explorer (if it's still called that in Win7) and right click on a drive letter, and select the menu item *Properties*--do the partitions that are supposed to be FAT32 all show up as FAT32?

I used EaseUS Partition Master Pro v9.0

I'm not familiar with that tool--any chance it has caused any problems?

Is the HDD new--or is it being *recycled* from another setup?

Have you partitioned and formatted, made some mistakes, and gone back and re-partitioned and re-formatted on this HDD?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 5:14am

Thanks for the clarifications, Big_Al.  As NightOwl already pointed out, your autoexec.bat neglected to call mscdex, so you're missing the second part of the two-part process to use a CD drive in DOS.  You've got the first part (loading the driver in config.sys), but need to follow it up with the second part (mscdex in autoexec.bat) to give the driver a drive letter.

Still, that's an issue unrelated to the floppy boot issue, so I'll refrain from getting sidetracked here.

I used EaseUS Partition Master Pro v9.0 and made C: the primary partition at 75 Gigs.The balance was set as extended partition and then D: to M:'s were set as logicals of the extended partition.
[...]
All of my DOS files are from a Windows 98SE made "Startup Disk"

Okay, good.  One primary with multiple logicals is the way DOS 7.1 (the DOS version underlying Win98SE) likes to see things.  And I don't think DOS 7.1 would have a problem with the size of a 1TB disk ... though I'm not certain about that, since I've never tested it on a disk that large.

Quote:
using a Win 98SE boot floppy, at the A prompt I typed
[...]
D:
Invalid drive spec

Okay, there's the immediate problem, right there: DOS isn't finding a second recognizable partition.  All the rest of the issues (the cd command, the name of the Ghost directory, etc.) have no basis of reference if you're not getting past the first step, so disregard all the error msgs to the subsequent commands--they mean nothing.

(Aside: I'll note Big_Al's earlier CD/autoexec experiments reached the Ghost storage partition through Ghost, and never referred to them by DOS drive letters.  So if this DOS drive letter issue was also a problem at that time his method, whether or not intentionally, apparently side-stepped the issue.)

The FAT32 partitions (F through M, as seen in Windows) should be visible to DOS 7.1, so the question is why isn't it finding them?  Normally, they should appear to DOS as C: through J: (since you can't manually designate DOS drive letters, DOS assigns sequentially starting from C:, and it would skip the NTFS partitions).

(Aside: does DOS see any recognizable partitions at all?  Did you try "C: [enter]" to see if it recognizes at least the first FAT32 partition?)

I think we need a partition diagnostic report.  What's that Ghost utility, NightOwl ... partinfo?  If that's the one I'm thinking of, Big_Al should run it and paste the report here for us to study.

I've used Easus PM on occasion and haven't had any problems using it on partitions for Windows systems, but I haven't used it for DOS-accessible partitions.  DOS can be a bit pickier about how partition tables are formulated, so a partinfo report may shed some light on what Easus PM did.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 9:25am

@
Dan Goodell

Dan Goodell wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 5:14am:
I think we need a partition diagnostic report.What's that Ghost utility, NightOwl ... partinfo?If that's the one I'm thinking of, Big_Al should run it and paste the report here for us to study.

You can get *PartInfo for DOS* here:

PartInfo.zip for DOS

and how to use it here:

Generating diagnostic reports using Partinfo.exe

In the instructions for the above it says:

Quote:
To generate a diagnostic report using Partinfo.exe

Boot the computer to DOS.
Insert the first rescue disk.
Select from the following PARTINFO options:

They're giving instructions for when using the *PartitionMagic* DOS rescue disk set.

You can simply use the Win98 boot disk, boot to DOS, and at the A:\ prompt--pop out the Win98 floppy and insert a floppy with the *partinfo.exe* that you download from the first link above and run it.

Select the option to *Save the report as a text file on a floppy disk* using this command at the DOS prompt:  partinfo >a:\partinfo.txt

You can then copy and paste the text to the forum.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 3:05pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 9:25am:
You can get *PartInfo for DOS* here:

[...]

They're giving instructions for when using the *PartitionMagic* DOS rescue disk set.

Ah yes, that's what I was thinking of.  I couldn't find it because I was looking for it with Ghost.  (Shows you how long it's been since I've used it!!)   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print