Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windows 8 (Read 8329 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Windows 8
Mar 2nd, 2012 at 12:00am

As a test I installed Win8 beta into unallocated space to get a SRP. The SRP is 350 MB with 200 MB of used space. The reason it contains more data than the Win7 SRP is because it contains Winre.wim (in a Recovery folder) which is 158 MB.

The SRP is easy to remove.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Windows 8
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 8:48am

Hmm... all this time I've been presuming a Win7 SRP included winre.wim by default.  I guess not?  (I don't use a SRP, so don't have a quick way to check.)

Regardless, what's your impression of Win8, Brian?  I installed the Developer Preview in November and played around with it a bit, but wasn't impressed with it at all.  The Metro interface was just too limiting and I anticipated it would be a major flop with existing Windows users.  More recently, however, I've installed the Consumer Preview and it's a whole different feel.  I guess the Dev Preview was less than a beta and left out a lot of functionality, and I'm much more impressed with the latest version.  I could actually get used to this!  Acclimating to the Metro interface will certainly entail a bit of a learning curve, but I'm guessing not significantly more than the Win98-to-XP upgrade, XP-to-Win7 upgrade, or getting used to the Microsoft Office "ribbon".  My gut reaction is it feels snappier than Win7.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 1:59pm

Dan,

I just checked a Win7/SRP system and winre.wim is in a randomly named folder inside C:\Recovery.   
Winre.wim is 145 MB in size.

Another difference with Win8 is the SRP and the C: drive both contain bootmgr.  With Win7, bootmgr is only in the SRP. So no longer will people see "BOOTMGR is missing" when they restore a Win8 image to a new HD without restoring the SRP. You still get a Windows Boot Manager error screen but it gives specific instructions to boot from the Win8 DVD and click "Repair your computer". It is not quite so easy in practice as there are a few choices to navigate but one repair does enable Win8 to boot. Two repairs aren't needed as with Win7.

My impression of Win8 is similar to yours. I didn't really give the Developer Preview much time as I disabled Metro and used the Start menu. That made it like Win7. You can't do that with the Consumer Preview so I've spent time learning how to manage Metro and it doesn't annoy me anymore. The only program I've installed is Image for Windows and I've mainly been learning where to find things and do minor tweaks. I still can't see improvements from Win7 but maybe later.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:10am

just checking in.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print