Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 14 Incremental Not (Read 27812 times)
dbird
Gnarly

Ghost 14 Incremental Not
Mar 19th, 2012 at 1:09am

I've now converted from Ghost 9 to 14.

Configured to make monthly base backups, with daily incrementals. But, the behavior is really peculiar. The base performance, so far one time each on two partitions, is fine.

But, the incremental performance is really peculiar. The image size is as follows:
Base:    48.7GB
1st Inc: 37.9GB
2nd Inc:74.7MB
3rd Inc: 163MB
4th Inc: 39GB
5th Inc: Running, going to be big

On the small images, the performance is fast. On the big images, Ghost is saying that it is reconciling volumes, and comparing the last image to the volume. This takes about an hour.

Ghost 9 never behaved like this. An image took at most a few minutes total. My volume data is a data partition. Not a lot of changes from day to day.

Could someone please explain what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 14 Incremental Not
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 4:04pm

Dave,

Are you imaging two partitions? What are the image sizes for each partition? Are you using Diskeeper? I assume nothing else has changed since swapping from Ghost 9 to 14.

Edit... Any defragging app running in the background?

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:26pm

One partition per job. Not had problem (yet) with other job since there is only one increment per week for that one. Image size for this one is 48.7GB. Not using Diskeeper. No defragging apps or anything similar.

Yes, some changes, sort of. New HDs.

I have very little experience with ghost 14. Is this typical to do a reconcile/compare?

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:58pm

Dave,

Those figures are a disaster. I can't tell you why Ghost 14 is doing that as the incrementals should be the same size as the Ghost 9 ones.

As you know, incrementals represent changed sectors. But you would need a massive change in sectors to produce a 39 GB incremental. I'm stumped.

Maybe you could try this experiment. Download and install the trial version of PerfectDisk. Don't defrag with it but every day prior to your incremental, perform an "Analyze".  Create a screenshot of the Drive Map and save it. After a few days you can compare the screenshots and see if the large incrementals are related to spontaneous data shifting.

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 9:26pm

OK. I'll try that.

Thanks,

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 2:57am

Dave,

A few years ago I was using Ghost 10 and Diskeeper but Diskeeper wasn't set to defrag the partition. It was just installed and doing nothing. Once or twice a week I'd get a large incremental (but not like yours). I looked at the Diskeeper Map everyday and I saw a large block of data shifting on the day of the large incremental. There was no defragging, just data shifting. Uninstalling Diskeeper fixed it. I'm interested to hear if you are experiencing something similar.

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 6:36pm

Haven't had DK for many years. It was too hard on resources so I uninstalled it. Did a manual defrag once every few months, and kept the partition unused portion plentiful.

PerfectDisk is doing something in the background; I think on the boot/system partition. Not sure what. Tonight the analysis map and incremental should give a hint. The incremental images grow from day to day until it does a really big one, then they get reasonable again. At least that is the pattern so far.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 8:36pm

dbird wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 6:36pm:
PerfectDisk is doing something in the background

Make sure you have OptiWrite and Auto-Optimization turned OFF.

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 10:48pm

Whoops! I should have been more curious. They are now off. Thanks.

Dave

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 8:15pm

The bad behavior has not re-appeared. PD is still installed, but I haven't done an analysis since the 24th. Thinking back, the only meaningful change, other than PD, has been in my response to the G14 messages.

I get a message asking if I want to use the dedicated USB drive for backup every time I turn it on. Also, a message asking if I want to do the scheduled backup. Maybe responding "yes" to these messages was causing G14 to do extra stuff? Doesn't make sense...

Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 4:20pm

For what it's worth, you can get a free (legal) PerfectDisk from here.

ftp://ftp.raxco.com/pub/download/PDFree/win32/setup.exe
ftp://ftp.raxco.com/pub/download/PDFree/x64/setup.exe

In some ways I prefer it to the Pro version as it doesn't contain background defragging. It does have scheduled defragging but you can turn it off.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 8:35am

@
Brian

Quote:
you can get a free (legal) PerfectDisk from here

What version do you get--the most recent--or something older?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 8:55am

@
dbird

Quote:
The incremental images grow from day to day until it does a really big one, then they get reasonable again.

I'm not a Ghost 14 user.  But, based on other posts over the years, that sounds like *normal* behavior for Ghost.

I'm trying to remember back to Ghost 9 or 10--seems one of those had a similar pattern.  If the amount of change reached some unspecified amount, Ghost would do a *full* backup--not an incremental.  I can't remember if Ghost changed the image extension when it went from an incremental to a full backup--so I'm not sure if that's part of the behavior or not.  Have you looked at the incrementals' full name with the *dot* three extension to see if that large incremental is still ID'd as an incremental?

Are you able to look at the data in the incrementals to see what is being identified as *changed sectors*?  Would that give you any clues as to why Ghost thinks large changes are occurring to the data on the HDD?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 3:03pm

@
NightOwl

It doesn't have an equivalent version number but it looks and performs a defrag just like the most recent full version.

IP Logged

dbird
Gnarly

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 3:19pm

Thanks. Is there a way to turn off the dumb notifications w/o turning off the useful ones?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print