Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just to be 100 percent sure... (Read 9015 times)
yingyang
N00b

I Love Radified!

Just to be 100 percent sure...
Apr 24th, 2012 at 5:57am

Just to be 100 percent sure - If I am backing up my work drive and working from it at the same time - I wont get any crashes or corrupt files yes? Or other problems (I know about the slow down)? As in say I am saving an after effects file and its being backed up - I also have auto saves that are being given new file names in another folder every 5 mins. Thanks! Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Just to be 100 percent sure...
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 4:28pm

@
yingyang

Are you using Ghost 15? For creating images (recovery points) or for Files and Folders backup?

IP Logged

yingyang
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 9:05am

Yes ghost 15 and its doing recovery points. Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 4:42pm

That's how most people use Ghost 15. They create hot images and continue to use the computer while the image is being created.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 10:11am

@
yingyang

Quote:
As in say I am saving an after effects file and its being backed up - I also have auto saves that are being given new file names in another folder every 5 mins.

Once Ghost begins a backup, it takes a *snap shot* in time.  I don't understand the technology, but Ghost is able to capture a copy of the OS's *open* files, and open files from other open programs.  Any file changes after that *capture* that change--will not be included in the Ghost image.  So, if a system crashes and you have to restore that image--you will have files that are missing any changes that might have occurred after the image snapshot was taken.

Quote:
I wont get any crashes or corrupt files yes? Or other problems

From time to time, there are reports of compatibility problems--seem to be not very often.  Best defense is to test the image files to make sure you can access them and extract files as needed.  And to do test restores of whole images to make sure they perform correctly on your system.  (I always use a spare HDD to test with and not my main HDD--until I'm sure it all works as expected.)  It's too late if your HDD dies and you replace it only to find out that those images are somehow not available to restore correctly!  Also, don't store images on the same HDD that you may have to replace and/or restore to--it that HDD fails, the images go with it.

Quote:
Just to be 100 percent sure

I wish we were that good  Wink !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

yingyang
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 10:40am

Ok sounds safe then - thought it would be - I might read more about how these snap shots are made when I have the time. I am fairly safe at the mo - main HD, work HD and back up HD separate. But then again nothing is 100 percent I know Cheesy ...thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print